• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

FoxPro Scorpion

Started by Jeb, December 11, 2007, 05:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeb

Anyone here have any input on how good these little units are ?
                      Thanks,
                        Jeb

possumal

Having been fortunate to be in on the field testing of the Scorpion, I feel qualified to reply.  The caller is very well made, easy to carry, and very versatile.  Comes with 100 quality sounds of your choice and has room for 100 more.  You can turn the caller on and off with your remote, and control two seperate stereo channels with your remote, and control the JIB decoy system too. The onboard cone speaker is all you need for most calling situations, but you have the option of using one or two external speakers, like the SP-55, which will give you all the volume you could ever need for any calling situtation.  I was experiencing excellent results for the first two weeks of testing, but got sidelined with a bad sinus infection and our gun deer season. Ready to get back after them now. Good hunting to ya!
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Arkyyoter

I am very impressed with mine.....plenty of volume, sounds great...it is much handier to carry than my FX5....it has typical FP quality throughout...I am impressed!!

Joe

Jeb

One more thing , do they have a baby minature JIBjr for this caller ? I would hate to have to carry around a decoy 20 X the size of my caller. Maybe i can go over to Foxpro and suggest it ? Just think, caller in back pocket and decoy in my shirt pocket  :biggrin: . Thanks Al..........
                   Jeb

Rprince

Quote from: Jeb on December 11, 2007, 06:23:19 PM
One more thing , do they have a baby minature JIBjr for this caller ? I would hate to have to carry around a decoy 20 X the size of my caller. Maybe i can go over to Foxpro and suggest it ? Just think, caller in back pocket and decoy in my shirt pocket  :biggrin: . Thanks Al..........
                   Jeb

You should be able to find a decoy that is small enough to carry around although it may not be a JIB. I'm in the process of wiring up a decoy now that I can control like the JIB, I hope to have it done soon.

Like the other 2 comments I have nothing but good things to say about my scorpion, it is in one word "handy".
If you get one, go ahead & get the sp55, I didn't get one but I will be soon. There have been a couple of times when I felt it would have helped, also I'm going to use mine for snow's in February & I will need the extra volume.

I was scared to death when I bought mine, I normally don't buy things like that for hunting but I am very glad that I did now. You won't be disappointed.

securpro

Is there any advantages or dis advantages between the scorpion and the Fx-5 ?   I have an Fx-3 now and am going to upgrade to Fx-5 but I am curious what is different in the scorpion to create a $200 difference in price.
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

possumal

I don't know if you would call the differences advantages or disadvantages; it depends on your needs and opinion. You cannot operate the Scorpion manually like you can the FX-5, as it depends on your remote to turn it on and off, change sounds, change volume, etc.. The FX-5 has all the volume you need with the onboard horn speaker, whereas you may feel you need an external SP-55 for the Scorpion in bad wind conditions or wide open country.  You can buy a Scorpion and an external SP-55 for less than the FX-5. You can carry either the FX-5, remote, and battery setup in the Foxpro carry case or you can carry the Scorpion, 1 external SP-55, and your remote in the same case.  Being able to turn the caller on and off with the remote and operate two seperate channels on the Scorpion may be considered advantages to some hunters. They are both excellent callers.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

securpro

Thanks for your input Al I now see what you mean it's a very tough call to choose between the two  :confused: I like the size of the scorpion just wonder if it is loud enough  :shrug: and what about range ? does it have the same as Fx-5 ? Is the price difference becuase of the inability to manually control the scorpion ?

I dont know, damn it's a tough call  :doh2:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

possumal

The onboard speaker on the Scorpion is all you need for most calling situations. I haven't read any posts by any of the field staffers that indicate any problems with the range of the caller.  The difference in price between the Scorpion and FX-5 surely exists due to it being less expensive to manufacture without the manual controls.  I have called in coyotes from well over 1,000 yds with the Scorpion and the volume was not on maximum.  I just think you should have a SP-55 speaker to cover all the volume needs you could ever have, including crow calling.  You can't go wrong with either caller.  Another consideration might be the guaranteed upgrade on the FX series of callers.  Having a caller that will never lose value is important. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Jeb

I was surprised at the volume level the Scorpion will go and i do believe in most cases your want need the sp55. I went ahead and got the sp55 at the same time and was kinda shocked on how big that speaker is. It will swallow the scorpion. I'm just waiting on my deployment bag from April/Yoters Den and i will be set. I went out Thursday morning for a 3 hour walk and on my second setup I had a  :biggrin:  first. I was down in a hardwood hollow with short pines on both sides and had a redtail hawk fly in and land in a tree close to the caller. I couldt see where he landed but with a about 3 more minutes of the scorpion singing baby cottontail blues that hawk dove and landed on my caller !!!! I jumped up hollering at him and he flew. Now , couldnt you see a damn hawk fly off with a $500.00 calller ????  :holdon: :holdon:  I have been buzzed by both a hawk and owl but never actually seen a caller get attacked from the air !! My buddy got a big laugh  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod: at of that.
                             Jeb

FinsnFur

Hey Frogman....
If I recall you were going to pick one of these up. Did you ever get one? How do you like it so far?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

wv_yoter

Jim, I think Frogmans thread is in the raving reviews. :biggrin:
Jason

Frogman

My review is here:    http://www.finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=5458.0

I hope the link works, I've never tried to do this before.

I am very happy with the Scorpion.  It didn't work well at all today though when alscalls and I went out for a few stands.  After walking about 300 yards we set out the decoy and I got ready to set out the Scorpion and discovered that I had left it at the house on charge??????   :doh2:   :doh2:   :shrug:  :confused: 

I don't suppose any of you guys ever screw up like this??   :madd:
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

The main thing is when you leave the house and drive for an hour, then walk a quarter of a mile make sure ya put the damn thing in your pocket first.
Unlike what Frogman did this morning.......Left it at home charging....... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

alscalls

Thats OK we used a secret method of calling...........
AL

Frogman

Hey Al,
    I was excited about getting out.  I don't forget stuff very often.  Give me a break, it's well charged for tomorrow!!  Now what time were we going out??   :confused:   :wo:

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

wv_yoter

Hey Al, I've heard of those things. :biggrin:
Jason

alscalls

AL

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

A few years ago when we were into it a bit more, my son and I drove a good 5 miles got out of the car and I'd forgotten our lights, not good on a night hunt.   One other time crow hunting I left the caller out and came home, had to go back and get it.  Pretty easy to find, sent the kid in to get it, as he was walking out with the caller I hit pup distress on the remote and he pissed his pants  :eyebrownod:

Good howl btw Al