• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

FoxPro's new Open Country Caller

Started by FinsnFur, February 24, 2008, 12:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

When I am on a calling stand, I expect a predator to appear at any instant. I refuse to dink around looking for different sounds while on stand. Four sounds at my finger tips, plus a howler around my  neck. The howler is capable of producing the howls I use, pup squeals and more. If I can't call em with all of those choices, I had better have a better excuse than lack of calling sounds don't ya think?   :roflmao:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

studabaka

The preset buttons and the volume control are probably the two key features that make me think about upgrading my FX3. I think they would make it easier, but then I think about what I can do with my FX3 vs a cassette player and a Johnny Stewart tape, which is what we used way back. Having a library of 200 sounds on the caller sounds interesting, but the 32 on my FX3 [which I could change at home if I wanted] seems to work for me fine. At first, only seeing the sound number on the remote was a bit awkward, but after several dozen stands it got to where it was really not a problem and the sound numbers are even big enough for these old eyes without my glasses.

Even with an ecaller, I feel like I left something home if I don't have a couple hand calls with me. Some stands I use just the ecaller, some just the hand calls, but quite often I use both.

All that said, it's not that I am an experienced and successful caller. It's just what I do, though I do try different tips and techniques that mention here from time to time.  :congrats:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

possumal

Like Rich, I am expecting to see a coyote appear at any time, and I don't want to have to look at my remote to pick out sounds. That is why I use the presets and the stick on buttons on the 9 keys.  I don't even have to look at it to punch any of the 9 buttons. Works like braille when you have used it a little.  It gives you a definite click feel as you are automatically centered on the key instead of having to look down to see if your finger or thumb is centered on the key you want to push.  Again, it is a very versatile tool capable of being used in different ways.  That is the main reason I make a lot of sequences. One click and then watch. Shoot a coyote and hit P4, Coyote Death Cry, and you are in business.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

THO Game Calls

It is interesting how we have taken a $680.00 E caller with 200 sounds and, by way of the 4 presets, reduced it to no more than a $190.00 remote Prey Master.    :laf:

Al

Edited with a Smiley so Rich dont come to NH and kick my butt

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Bopeye

Quote from: golfertrout on March 08, 2008, 11:43:02 PM
Al I'm by far not a seasoned coyote hunter but i am a seasoned hunter, i started hunting yotes last year and killed 3 using a hand call and have called in a bunch. i have also called in a bunch with my e caller, i have prob 10 hand calls, i understand not being able to see the sounds on remote but i use the 4 presets and usually dint look at remote just use the Braille system.  As far as the 200 sounds no u dont need that many but it is nice to have, just like having 100 mouth calls, do u need that many in the field?  no but its nice to have them. Maybe one day i will be a seasoned yote hunter like you but right now I'm just enjoying getting after them n hearing the howls n yips.  The yotes i killed last year i took two of my buddies that have never went yote hunting n i called prob 10 in and i shot 2 n my buddie shot one, my gun got jammed n i had 4 or 5 coming right towards me n here i am with a jammed gun, finally they went the other way, my buddie said he almost pissed his pants cause all of the yotes around us, he is hooked now.  I usualy hunt at night in West Virginia, where do you hunt?

My long lost brother?  :confused:
Brother, you can spin a bigger yarn than I can..........that's hilarious........ :laugh2: :yahoo:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Rich

THO Game Calls,

I hope your comparison of a  state of the art caller to a PreyMaster was made in jest. A smiley following the statement would have been nice.  :whew:
Foxpro Field staff

CCP

The presets are one of the things I loved about the Minaska when I got it. Having 10 preset buttons for for each bank was so cool.

Now I usually only use the #1 preset button for distress and then #0 preset for hurt pup on bank #1 but it is nice knowing all them presets are there for me.

I got the older TX5-LR remote for my foxpro it doesn't have any presets. :rolleye: Wish they would have had it then. Can a person buy or trade in the remote for the one with the presets?

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

THO Game Calls

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

golfertrout

yes the other yotes came in after shots fired its no lie, believe it or not but i know n so does the guys i was with, i dont bs about my hunting experiences, Just cause its never happen to you, you dont believe it but i can guarantee it happened

Bopeye

I hear ya. I saw a doe standing in a field this year about 800 yards away. I raised my bow, used some Kentucky windage adjustments and let the arrow fly. Just as it was about to land I whistled causing the doe to raise her head and look. Nailed her right between the eyes. Believe it or not.  :wink:

Jeb

LOL Bop !!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

coyotehunter_1

:rolleye: Now, Bop... tell the truth.... it was more like 750 yards.  :iroll: 
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bopeye

I'm sorry. I do embellish from time to time......... :wink:

HaMeR

Musta been a Matthews bow is all I can figger Bop!!  :shrug:  Heckuva shot!!  :congrats: :congrats:

:confused:  Are your arms even long enough to draw a bow??  :shrug: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

golfertrout

bopeye n fins when i called the dogs in last year after i shot about 30 seconds later my buddie Chuck shot his, and after that i got on my mouth call and did a wounded distress yote sound and the others came in as well.  We were  hunting at night ,and on this 900 acre farm in the last 2 years there have been 21 yotes killed off of it.  I called in 4 this year n my buddie Chuck killed one and shot at another, and in a field about 400 yards away he seen 4 red foxes. Like i said i dont BS about my hunting or fishing. Want to hear another?  first time i went muskie fishing 2 years ago i caught 2, one was 28 inch and the other was 43 inches, hold on i have another first time i went turkey hunting i shot a gobbler.   And THO as far as a prey master compared to a fox pro, there is no comparison.

alscalls

golfertrout, is telling the truth, I was there and there are some photos on my web site of the night in question! golfertroutis agood guy and I have had a lot of long nights chasing those yotes with him and I know that if you shoot one at night howl and carry on abunch right away and some times they come back hard like they most certainly did that July night A lot of those dogs were young and did not know any better and it was one of the most exiting nights I have ever had!
golfertrout, is a do person and hunts hard I do not know if I can keep up with the hours he spends on coyotes but I will hunt with him any day. :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
Now yall get off that chair and go outside!! :roflmao: :roflmao:
golfertrout, It is me AL, I can only say there are a lot of good people here and we do not all agree on everything but we must learn by patterns like we do those dogs and good or bad try and do what is best for you, now lets go hunting before you go fishing without me again! :eyebrow:

http://www.geocities.com/alscalls/coyote.html
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

golfertrout

tell them the way u see it Al,  we know what happened that night they dont have to believe it. Maybe they have never used the wounded call after a shot, hope they dont try it that way there will be more dogs 4 us.

Rich

I have called and killed  as many as three coyotes that came in one at a time. Coyotes don't seem to know what gun shots are, unless the shot is fired at THEM. I think they pass the boom off as thunder or something.
Foxpro Field staff

vvarmitr

I've used a Fox Pro twice ... first & last time. My thumb hurt for a week trying to get them dman  buttons to work.  I was about to press 'em w/ my size 14 when I remembered it belonged to my dear friend.  :whew:

You Fox Pro suckasses can't see that that's a BLATANT COPY!  Just like they copied Bandit!
Don't be pissin' down my back & tell me it's raining.  :madd:   
So there wasn't any law that said that they couldn't do what they did.  Well, there isn't any law against adultery either ...  does that make it okay in your book?   I suppose it would be okay then if the Dillons came over & banged your ol' lady!  :shrug:

So why they used the flashlight case was because they were to stupid to come up w/ their own design?  Apparently! History bears this out.  :iroll:

You can only fool some of the people some of the time ...

Boy, I'm getting pretty cranky lately, must be election year.  :biggrin:

bigben

easy there bubba.  they were using the flashlight cases because it was a simple easy to hold unit that worked great for years till rayovac decided to not make em anymore. 

I do have to admit I hated the Tx5-lr remote or whatever they called it.  the dang thing would do what it felt like when it wanted which I told mike and foxpro.  this is why I upgraded to the new tx200 remote I liked the fact that I could see what the call was doing.  sometimes it took the signal a bit till it got to the call.  which if ya just keep pushin buttons it would confuse it. 

I can't say that the two units do not look alike.  maybe people wanted a foxpro that had the same features?  it is like the chevy vs ford deal.  both trucks look close to the same back in the old days and most of the time they came with the same features.  maybe someone is a minaska man or a foxpro.  personally I am going to stick with the foxpro because if something gets broke from hard use I can send it to em and in two days have it back because the vacinity of their facitlity.  I also like the foxpro remote better.  that is why I got away from the fx3 because I hated having to remember numbers.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.