• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

The new norm?

Started by FinsnFur, December 23, 2023, 08:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Im honestly thinking about loading the yak up in the truck and heading out on the river.  :confused: 
44 degrees today with a light mist, it's like a mid spring day. Not two days before Christmas.
It's been very livable temps all and so far this winter.

I looked back at the posts this time from last year. Did Winter get canceled?
40's into January and then a few days after the post, BOOM 22 below zero  :holdon:
Looks like the same scenario this year.
I heard someone say once, "the seasons are changing" but I didnt think it was going to a 360 :huh:

Anyway, I guess I better get the lawn mowed :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Well get on it!!

Hawks Feather

Go enjoy the day on the river.

bambam

I'm all for global warming. Can't take cold like I used to.

FinsnFur

Quote from: bambam on December 27, 2023, 03:33:35 PMI'm all for global warming. Can't take cold like I used to.

I cant either.
Remember what Johnny used to say. "Gittin old aint for Sissies"  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

seems to be a big noreaster coming this weekend.  Ya just had to say something.  All I hear is people want a big snow and how they miss it.  Lately we have had a bunch of rain.  ME thinks the rain is nicer as you do not have to plow it or move it.  Kinda takes care of itself.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

Im hoping the big nor'easter misses us I'm fine with no snow.

FinsnFur

I definitely dont want a big snow...or ..miss it  :nono:
But I do find it crazy how the seasons have been shifting.

You guys got Ember to deal with. Stay safe
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

big storm fizzled out.  We got about 4-5" then it rained and compacted it to about 2" of heavy wet snow that was more of a nuisance then a snow.  Spose to rain bad tues so our streams and creeks are gonna flood now.  news claims another noreaster on the way next week.  I prefer the indian weather rock.  I'll tell ya in two weeks how it pans out.  LOL
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

Indian weather rocks are never wrong. The weather guessers, not so much.

bigben

now winter is on for us.  highs in low 30's  lows in teens.  Snow tonight and maybe this weekend.  Im hoping the local lake gets locked up today and starts making ice.  might be fishing saturday if theres enough. 

Hawks Feather

I think Ole Mr. Winter is just messing with us and making us feel like it isn't going to happen. And then he zaps us with frigid temps and high winds. We started with about four inches of snow and then it changed to rain that flattened the 4 inches of snow to about 2 inches that was holding the water. I could only push about half of the snow shovel to the edge of the driveway and then needed to split it into smaller pieces of slush so that I could move it away from the edge. That was in the afternoon and about 9:00 p.m. I went back out and did it again. Glad I did since the temps dropped to around 0 degrees by morning and the slush was hard as a rock. We are expected to hit the double digits (11 degrees) for the high today, but a high of 9 degrees tomorrow. But such is life in Ohio and we are expected to be above freezing in a week or so.

bigben

I know I was hunting saturday morn and it was ok.  a little overcast but not bad.  By afternoon we had serious wind.  enough I didnt want to go sit in a somewhat sheltered stand for afternoon sit.  Yesterday was just as bad.  the wind was almost overbearing to the point I didnt want to leave the house.  Not sure how some guys live in that stuff all winter long. 

Okanagan

I'll be glad for what we've got.  Y'all stay warm!

We got a fast dump of five inches of snow one evening four or five days ago, most of that within an hour.  Wife and I have not left the house since.  It's been well below freezing since, which is very unusual here by the sea. It's supposed to go back to rain in a few days.

We have lots of good food, but neglected to stock up on frivolous goodies.  :doh2:

Hwy 101 crosses a canyon between our place and Port Angeles, the only road across the canyon.  When the snow dumped on us, about 50 cars got stuck in the bottom of the canyon the first hour, spinning out and couldn't get up the hill either direction.

MI VHNTR

Blizzard warning Friday night into Saturday night. 45 MPH winds and approximately 3 feet of snow with higher drifts. Winter is back.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

bigben

so this snow we were supposed to get 1-3" we had 3" when I left for work this morning at 4 and its still snowing.  friday they are calling for light snow but not saying how much.  Seeing as how this one was supposed to be a coating and not amount to much we got more this storm then the last one they predicted to be decent. 

Back to the indian weather rock.

Hawks Feather

I have always been tempted to write down what the weather guessers predict and then see how accurate it is. It is fairly easy to tell when they did because when they start their guess for the day they say, "As we told you yesterday . . . . ." Otherwise there is no mention of what they said. Looks like a decent job to me, be correct about half the time and keep your job.

Okanagan

FWIW, I checked our roads.  I drove to the nearest post office, then turned around and came home rather than going to town.  Five inches of snow is nothing in most places that get snow.  It has made a mess here. The soft snow packed down into ice on roads and parking lots.  Then temps turned really cold -- and the snow and ice are still here five days later. Nobody has equipment to remove it.  Parking lots and roads are still a sheet of ice.  It will be here till it rains, which will put water on top of ice until it finally begins to thaw.  11 degrees F, here, -9F at a friend's place 1000 feet elevation higher.  Coldest in 33 years. 

Added:  talked to a waitress today who left her car in the restaurant parking lot when it snowed while she was working last week, and has not moved it since. Her husband takes her to work and picks her up in his 4x4 pick-up.

nastygunz

We just got 16 1/2 inches of the cursed White Plague. And its COLD.

bigben

They are still calling for a coating to 3" with isolated instances of 4" starting at 4am tomorrow.  Still trying to figure out what to do with myself tomorrow.  I have four beef tounges and three whitetail hearts in the freezer that might meat a pot tomorrow to become tasty morsels.  Pickled heart and tacos de lingua maybe?