• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Strawberries

Started by Okanagan, June 14, 2016, 10:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Doing our best to OD on fresh strawberries while they are in season at a local low cost U-Pick.

Dave

Wow do they look nice.
The pick your own farms around here charge anywhere from $2.25/lb up to $3.99/lb.  That's crazy pricing in my opinion.  I used to pick for a farmer for 15 cents a quart when I was a kid

pitw

Awesome looking berries. :yoyo:  I only wish we could find them here.  The ones we grow are good but them look great.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Those do look VERY tasty.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Delishiousness :biggrin:
I've been filling the dehydrator with them in between Jerky batches. The granddaughter loves strawberry chips :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: Dave on June 14, 2016, 04:44:38 PM
Wow do they look nice.
The pick your own farms around here charge anywhere from $2.25/lb up to $3.99/lb.  That's crazy pricing in my opinion.  I used to pick for a farmer for 15 cents a quart when I was a kid

Man, that is really expensive for U-pick!  This place charges $1.50 Canadian per pound and a place down the road wants $1.99.  They were $4.99 in the store last week.

I used to cut asparagus for 3 1/2 cents a pound and they sold such poor grade stuff in the local super markets that my boss would have fired me for putting it in the box, and the store got 29 cents a pound.  All of the good stuff went to big cities.   I think that the farmer got 12-15 cents, can't remember for sure.

Wish we had a dehydrator.  Good stuff.

pitw

Quite a day here so I'll put it in this thread as some of it actually belongs here. :innocentwhistle:  Wife had committed to going chasing cattle so I had the afternoon to go up North 30 miles to a small town sports day. They have a tractor pull every year for the locals and folks I can tell you if you learn to listen to these folk, you may learn something. Hard to beat the sound of these old girls doing their job and the little JD E running a small grain grinder

They had some junk tractors there too. :pout:

Had 3 pieces of home made pie the old girls made at home and were selling for $2 a slice, so I paid them $6.6666 a piece and told them to raise their prices. Watched a ball game and talked until I got dry tongue.

Got home so as I could go to a party with the wife which to my total unease had started at noon and I got home at 5. She had left to go pick strawberry's at a neighbors who was gone to the same sports day. She picked

in 25 minutes and made less than half into jam by 7.

The lad picked out a spider from the pails full.

I snuck out at 6 to play with an old 22 and even older scope. Came home to find mama skunk moving towards the yard from the North. With at least 9 little ones in tow. :madd: I opened up with the old semi in flock shoot mode and got 4 little ones dead and I don't know about wounded as they went into the long grass and our thick caraganas. Came to the house for the camera and by the time I got back, 2 of the little carcass's were gone. I waited 20 yards away and got another little one and then I managed to hit mama. Wife said while she was picking strawberry's at the neighbors he had to go out and flock shoot at a herd the same size.

So if I had just kept quiet I suppose I'd of had a pieceful evening, but oh no, mouth just had to ask,"What are you cooking for supper as you ain't done nothing else today"' :rolleye:
  I'm now enjoying fresh berry's and popcorn on the couch and this allows me to come up with tomorrows adventure as she still has more cattle to work tomorrow.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Man, Barry, you had a big day!   Good shooting on the skonks.  Not fair that you have someone who makes strawberry jam.  I don't think I've had homemade strawberry jam since my mother's.

Hawks Feather

Barry,

All I can say is it is lucky that you had the strawberries.  Otherwise you would be pretty hungry.

Now if you really want to see some tractors (well maybe you can call them that) pulling you need to come to Ohio.  Bowling Green is about 45 miles from where I live and I also lived in B.G. for a couple of years and I can say without any doubt that they go all out with their pulls.  You can check them out here:  http://www.pulltown.com   (Now where is that smiley that looks like a tractor blowing smoke?)

Jerry 

slagmaker

Speaking of tractor pulls, my cousin Darren is getting married on the tenth. A soon as the ceremony is over he and his new wife are going to the county fair tractor pulls. I KNEW my cousin was a redkneck.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: slagmaker on July 03, 2016, 12:31:04 PM
Speaking of tractor pulls, my cousin Darren is getting married on the tenth. A soon as the ceremony is over he and his new wife are going to the county fair tractor pulls. I KNEW my cousin was a redkneck.

I can hear the announcement now.  "If you have never seen a marriage consummated on a tractor, please go to fourth tractor in row 6."     :shock2:      :shock2:      :shock2:

And to think this thread started out about strawberries. . . .

Jerry

pitw

Quote from: slagmaker on July 03, 2016, 12:31:04 PM

I knew Darren was good people and I wish him well in his forthcoming tie party. :yoyo: :yoyo:

Quote from: Hawks Feather on July 03, 2016, 03:05:05 PM
And to think this thread started out about strawberries. . . .

Jerry

That's the great thing about conversations they sometimes get better the further they get from the start.