• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Learning!

Started by pitw, April 27, 2009, 09:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I got home Tuesday from helping a buddy who had a kidney removed the Friday before and Bob met me with the news that he had been suspended from school for a day.  Seems his little brother was in a scrap with a sixth grader and Bob kicked ass.  He gave me a letter from the principal that stated I "had" to meet with his underling on Thursday to get Bob reinstated.  Now I've brought my boys up to look out for each other and I don't talk with underlings that can't make a decision.  I wrote a letter back to the principal stating that Bob would be no longer attending his school and had Don take it to him with the instructions that he hand it to him personally and to tell any secratary's or teachers that Dad told him too. [He got hassled but stood his ground].   I don't condone fighting and Don said he didn't need Bobs help so just the fact that Bobs action got me to have to talk with the system irritated me a bunch.   Bob needed to learn when and where to do some things so I had him start his new life away from school.

First day

Second Day

These trees blew over this winter and I was going to cut them up with a chain saw but the boy needed some time to think about what life was going to be like out of school.   He was told no more school and I would be his teacher until he left home.  The principal called Wednesday at 2.30pm asking me to return Bob and I replied "why?  Do you think you need more time to turn him into a criminal as I sent you a six year old that hadn't been in kiddy garten that aced grade one and was well behave and in 5 short years you have taught him to not enjoy learning and to not stand up for what he believes in".  After an hour of discussion I told him Bob could come back monday but right now he is getting a life lesson that he couldn't teach.  He agreed that my way would be more effective than anything the system could offer.
   Don felt bad for Bob so went and helped on the weekend.

After getting the trees cut up yesterday at noon Bob came and asked if he could go back to school and ask the principal to let him back in as he figured an education might help some.  He did learn how to run a saw and we even managed to learn how to sharpen them some.  I also got the benefit of a cleaner yard and a pile of wood for the house.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hidehunter

LOL I remember back in the day I was the kid working on the woodpile.  I was ready to go back to school myself.
Denver                                           

Tikaani

Barry,

I cannot believe what I just read.  I find your methods abusive and destructive to these children's welfare.  They should have be put in "time out" and told in a stern voice, no, semi stern, wait no a calm and soothing voice that what they did is wrong and that sticking up for your brother is wrong and society won't tolerate this kind of behavior and,,,,,, oh $h5t I can't go on with this crap anymore, cutting wood for next winter is the way to go and good for both those boys that they watch out for each other.

Hunt hard, die tired
John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

msmith

I like the way you handled that Barry. It's too bad they took the paddle out of the classroom. A good butt burnin' usually got me tuned in pretty good. LOL
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Frogman

I think there is an orneryness enzyme in all young kids.  Years ago when I was a kid, I had quite a bit of that enzyme in me.  But I also think there is a counteracting anti-orneryness enzyme in kids too.  Seems like it was activated by that paddle someone mentioned above.  Didn't even take the direct application of the above mentioned paddle to activate the anti-orneryness enzyme.  Seems like when I heard the "board of education" applied to one of my classmates out in the hall some of that anti-orneryness enzyme was released in me and many of my classmates.  We tended to walk softly for a few days.  I know I had the "board of education" directly applied to me a few times.  When I got "it" at school I could aleays expect to get "it" even worse when I got home and my Dad found out what I had been into.  I don't know that any of this had any detrimental effect on my later life, as a matter fo fact it prolly was of great benefit to me. 

Aahhh, but those were the "good old days".  All that is frowned on today and not PC.  Maybe that's why such a large percentage of our population is incarcerated??

pitw,

You done good!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

That's a heckuva way to bring up your kids Barry.  :rolleye:  Teaching them to look out for one another. Stick to their convictions in life. Have them heat the house next winter!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:  Ah hell I couldn't go on any further either!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:  And Thanks for giving the Principal a little life lesson too. I think he understands things a little more clearly now. That or he's very happy you took charge & did what he would have liked to have seen done but couldn't do.  :shrug: 

BTW-- Shame on you for not teaching your kids to rely on gubment handouts!!!   :doh2: :rolleye:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HaMeR

Well after the temps flirted with warming up this past weekend,, 85-86*,, it finally got warm enough to mow around here today.  :yoyo:  The ol mercury stick was reading 89.8* so I got the lawn mower out.  :biggrin:  Just thought I would show you what the boys next lesson might be.  :laf: :laf:

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

I need a pile of logs and a saw like that for my teenager.
Mannnnn, this boy's gonna be in lockdown before he's 18, I wish I had a job like that to turn him on to. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HuntnCarve

Ya know Barry, after reading your post I'm dang proud to call you a friend!  You are raising those two young men right.  My dad, as if there weren't enough chores to do around the house, would have me working at the elderly neighbors.  Shoveling coal, driveways, cutting grass, throwing hay bales, picking up rotten apples, etc.   Seems he always could find something for me to do when my attitude needed "readjusting". He used to say that a boy's got alot of energy that needs to be re-directed in a "positive" way.  I was taught to say "Mr, Mrs, Thank you, and please".  If I got paddled in school. I too was guarranteed the "twice as bad" when I got home.  I was taught to defend myself (years of karate), my friends, and family. And stand up for what I believe in.   Funny things was that there was a time when I could not believe how dumb the old man was?  That was during the years when I possesed "The Book with All the Answers". LOL!  Seems that somehow I lost that book as I grew up.  But I did not loose the values dad saw fit to burden me with.   I'm happy to say that I am now as dumb as my old man.  Atleast I would like to think I am. 
So stay the course.  Your boys are off to a good start.  They'll continue to grow up to be fine young men.   That's a direct result of their parents.  Glad to see it these days.

Dave

pitw

Thanks guys.  I was wondering how it would be received and I am now relieved.  My old man was far worse than twice as bad when I got a licken in school and there was never a question about whether I deserved it or not.  One of his favorite let me think about life projects was to drop me off on a fenceline at one end of a swamp with a crowbar, post mall and as many posts as he figured it would take across said swamp.  He then drove away and when he came back if I wasn't done he drove away again.   
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

Makes me feel good to know I aint the only one that does such things....I just finished making my daughter push mow the yard while my riding tractor sat in the shade....She too was learning. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

KySongDog

You're raising those boys right, Barry.   :congrats:

I went to a Catholic school run by nazi nuns.  You got out of line, WHACK !  They never spared the rod.  And I deserved every whack I got.   :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Somehow I dont doubt that for a second Johnny :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

Quote from: Semp on April 27, 2009, 10:03:51 PM
And I deserved every whack I got.   :biggrin: