• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Ever find one of these...

Started by Coulter, May 03, 2009, 12:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

Well, I don't actually have a picture of it since I left my camera in the truck. But while I was hunting in New York today I came upon a large triple crotched tree. As I walked by it I noticed something in the crotch...it was an ammo box and it was in pretty good shape. Of course I had to check it out further. I grabbed it from its perch in the crotch of the tree and found it had some weight to it :wo:   Hmmm, what could be in this box in the middle of nowhere? :confused: I opened it up and figured out it was left there by a geocacher. It was full of stupid little trinkets and other junk along with a Danielle Steel book :noway: Well that is just stupid :noway: I left everything alone and placed it back into the crotch and made my way back to the truck. Oh well, so much for striking it rich :eyebrownod:

Steve

FinsnFur

Some kids "getaway from Mom and Dad" spot. :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cathryn

Coulter

Yep, 3 crotches :biggrin: Well maybe it was two crotches formed by three large trees growing together :confused: Anyway, It was harboring a geocache find :eyebrownod:

iahntr

Heard of em before, never came across one though.
Probably a good place for the Danielle Steel book,
out in a box, in the middle of no where.  :puke:
Scott

msmith

There's a few of those gocaching spots around here. I downloaded them to my GPS and was going to check some of them out, but never had or wanted to spend the time to find them. They cluttered up my waypoints so bad I couldn't sort them out very well, so I deletedd all of the geocache ones.

http://www.geocaching.com/
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Silencer

wow, I checked out that website and entered my zip and there's crap hid all over this area, some dated way back to 06...  :shrug: :confused:  I take that back, some was hid way back in 02..

FinsnFur

I never heard of that crap, but that website filled me in a bit. Thats pretty interesting actually.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

I have heard of it before and actually thought trying it just as another excuse to be in the woods...but I think I have enough excuses already. Especially after seeing the junk they put in them. It is kind of neat I guess.

Steve

KySongDog

I've done the geocache thing a couple of times.  Actually, it is a lot of fun.  Lots of families do it together.  You get a nice hike and never know what will be in the cache.

You take something and give something.  Then report on the condition of the cache on that site msmith posted. 

Give it a try sometime. 

Hidehunter

There are a few around my neck of the woods.  Me and my daughter found one and left a key chain and she took a Spongebob Tennis Ball lol.
Denver                                           

vvarmitr

I got a buddy that's into it. He says there is another thing they do where they have an item & it gets an official serial number & tag. When you find it you report back that you found SN#  xxxxx  then you take it somewhere else & hide it.  You can go & see where all that item went. :biggrin:

bigben

steve you found the worlds biggest and most popular scavenger hunt.  I started geocaching back about ten years ago when it was just starting to get around.  if you want a challange do it with a compass once.  adds to the difficulty ten fold.  I generally just search.  you are supposed to take something and then leave something that way it allways has different stuff in it.  some are historical some are based toward a goal.  but chances are there is a geocache within ten miles of ya unless you are living in BFE.  now a days with these gps's it is more of a go here.  back when I started many used a cheap gps and they were harldly reliable and you actually had to do a good bit of searching.  hardest one I found was actually burried in a hole.  it said in the description that when you get to your destination to take a seat.  took three seperate times of looking till I found the only tree laying on the ground and it had only one spot to sit.  sat down and right between your feet was where it was stashed.  there was only ten people that found that one.  but like others said it is another way to get your family out in the woods.  some use it for exercise.  some use it just to get your skills brushed up on the gps. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

5 SHOTS

Quote from: bigben on May 04, 2009, 06:47:56 PM
chances are there is a geocache within ten miles of ya unless you are living in BFE.   

:roflmao: According to the web site, the nearest one to me is about 700 miles away.   BFE.  :laugh2: :laugh2:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

bigben

allright  :confused: well you kinda do live in BFE.  :laf:
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

vvarmitr

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Does BFE have a zip code?
:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

bigben