• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Swan ?'s

Started by pitw, April 18, 2010, 08:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

It being spring the swans are moving here and I've seen thousands in the last couple weeks which has brought a couple questions to mind.  Do any swans besides the Trumpeter and Whistler migrate?  Are black swans a native bird to somewhere[I've never saw one]?  Can anyone legally shoot the big units?[They are certainly getting more numerous here so was wondering if they are causing problems anywhere].
I say what I think not think what I say.

bambam

I have a friend who hunted them once in North Carolina. I think he called them tundra swans but I am not sure. Never seen any here.

vvarmitr

I've seen where some were hunted/taken in a magazine & that was the first I knew of shooting swans since the market hunting days.  :laf:

Silencer

The majority of the swans out there I believe are Tundras and you can hunt them in certain states. 
You can hunt the sandhill cranes in certain states too.   

Trumpeters were considered on the endangered species list with all efforts being made to get them to migrate and reproduce. 

Never seen a black swan and not sure if you can whack one of them. 

alscalls

About the time I quit duck hunting they had just finished the first full season on hunting swans in Ohio that I knew of but I never hunted them........ Seen plenty of them though....... I dont know hardly anything about them.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

I gotta wonder what they taste like as I never see them in a field or anywhere but in the air or on water.   Makes me think they'd be a bit muddy tasting.  They are sure pretty though. 

Silencer

They call the sandhill ribeye in the sky  :shrug:   never ate one either, bout ate everything else lol

pitw

I've ate Cranes and wouldn't call them ribeye  :shrug:.  More like wallet material :innocentwhistle:.

vvarmitr

I've heard Canada Geese called Sky Carp. :laf: