• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

arrow shafts

Started by northern coyote, February 02, 2008, 08:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northern coyote

I am thinling of building some new arrows for 3-D shooting and also to double as hunting arrows later this year and I am having trouble figurin out which shafts work the best all around, I have always shot Gold Tip XT hunters premade, but I was also thinking of Carbon express. I was wondering what everyone else thought of these two brands, an any others that I should contemplate on buying for the new season.
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

ohiobob

Northern Coyote
I can not Help You, I shoot Home Made Cedar Shafts here, they wouldn't fly to well out of your Bow, they are only Spined for 85 Lbs
How much Money would you save if you bought the Carbon Shafts, Vanes/Feathers, Nocks, Tips and Inserts ???
Isn't the Carbon Shafts the Biggest Cost ???
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

iahntr

I think either of those two arrows would work fine. Without knowing your poundage and arrow length, some arrows, Carbon express might be one of em, are spined for say 45/60, and then 60/75 and some, like I believe the Gold tips, are 55/75. So one may work a little better for your pound range. The straightness of these I think are comparable, and I think the Carbon express are a little bit, probably just under a grain per inch, depending on which you'd buy, heavier then the Gold Tips. I think if you're gonna use them for both hunting and 3D, I'd stay with an arrow that is maybe down the middle for weight (grains per inch). A little lighter for 3D may help some, but I don't believe in too light of an arrow for hunting. The straightness of the arrow comes down a little to personal preference I think. Can you tell the difference shooting an arrow that has a tolerance of + or - .002 versus + or - .004 or .006 ? Some people may think so, but I would put a dollar limit on how much it is worth it. I also like the Blazer vanes, and think they work good in most all applications.
Just my opinions for what they're worth.  :biggrin: Scott
Scott