• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

The Pie

Started by Dave, October 26, 2011, 02:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Here are a few pics of the piebald deer I picked up down the road from my place last night.  It was just hit by a vehicle as I was driving by and looked like it was settling in a gulley next to the road.  I went back a few hours later to see if anyone had grabbed it, and he was dead right there.

I've only seen a few of these in my life, and this one has got the coolest markings I've seen.  Reminds me of a giraffe.

And his head is blondish.

HuntnCarve

Bye, Bye American pie... :alscalls:  That's a shame that he had to go that way.  In this area (PA German) they say it's bad luck to shoot a pie bald?  Guess he won't have that worry.
Glad you were able to salvage him.

Dave

Hawks Feather

Neat looking deer.  What happens to it now?  Hide gets tanned?

Jerry

FinsnFur

He does have a nice looking jacket.
His head looks big for his size too.  :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Nice looking deer. I have never seen a live one. Glad you were able to salvage it.

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 26, 2011, 03:17:58 PM
Neat looking deer.  What happens to it now?  Hide gets tanned?

I had the same question.^^

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Beautiful coat on that deer, but it is a weird shaped critter, especially on the head, as someone said.

Dave

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 26, 2011, 03:17:58 PM
What happens to it now?  Hide gets tanned?

Jerry
That is what my original thought was - to skin it out and have it tanned.  I've never skinned a deer before and really didn't have the time to spend on it, so a friend of a friend (who is a taxidermist) came over and took it.  He's going to do a full body mount on it, and put a nice sized rack on it, and then donate any edible meat to "hunters sharing the harvest." 
Gives new meaning to the phase 'passing the buck.'

Quote from: Okanagan on October 26, 2011, 09:34:09 PM
Beautiful coat on that deer, but it is a weird shaped critter, especially on the head, as someone said.
To me, all pie balds and albinos seem to have that roman nose look to them.  Sort of a haunched up look between the eyes and the nose.  Here's a better pic of that.

And what do you think, in the first pic of my original post, that circle around his eye gives him that look of the Little Rascals dog (can't remember his name).

Todd Rahm

Would like to see that when he gets it mounted, cool hide fore sure.  :congrats:

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the update.  I will be looking forward to seeing him after the taxidermist gets finished.

Jerry

FOsteology

That is one weirdly unique deer. Good to hear someone is going to do a life-size mount. Will make one heck of a conversation piece.

coyotehunter_1

Dave, :wo: you don't live near a nuke waste dump sight do ya?  :huh:
Seriously that's certainly something you don't see every day. 

Quote... that circle around his eye gives him that look of the Little Rascals dog (can't remember his name).

I believe the gang called him Pee-dee but I could be wrong.  :wink: 
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.