• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Butt cushion???? Ground pad????

Started by 1der, December 28, 2008, 05:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1der

I use an inflatable type butt cushion and a 3'X3' piece of vinyl to lay on the ground with. Would like to find a cheap( and compact) shooting pad but can't find any. What do others use?
1der

KySongDog

I use something similar to this:

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodViewSKU.asp?SKU=HS06821

I forgot who made my little stool and they are probably out of business by now.  Anyways I always take it turkey hunting and for coyotes in the woods.

Hawks Feather

weedwalker

I use the turkey hunting seats with the fold out legs that sit about 6" off the ground. It gets me up just high enough that my legs don't go to sleep while I'm sitting on stand.

cb223

I just use a foam butt bad. Not always the most comfortable but for predator hunting I'm not there all that long anyway. I don't like to have too carry a bunch of extra stuff, I try to travel lite.

CHAD

HaMeR

I found a square flotation device in shadow grass camo for $10. It's about 2 1/2" thick & comfy for the 1/2 hour or so I spend on a stand. I also use the cushion on my turkey vest since I like it for predator hunting too. The Gobbler Lounger Jerry mentioned is great for turkey hunting or for long periods of time on stand. I wouldn't want to pack it around all day either but it is very comfy otherwise.  I have also stood up on some stands. Have you thought about standing. You'll get a better field of view. Stand behind a tree for cover.

You're Welcome Jerry. Glad I could help.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

I use the 1" thick butt pads. Don't leave home w/o 'em!  :readthis:
I also have the stools like W W & still have my foam pad along to keep my tushie warm.
Generally I will carry two foam pads; one, a flexible, soft pad; & the other a more stiff type foam (my favorite).
Why two? Of course the extra padding doesn't hurt to sit on, but on occasion I sit against a tree & I need the padding at my back.
Now a real plus for the stiff foam seat pad is for crossing barbed wire fences! Drop it over the top strand, if you have sufficient ground clearance, & swing over. Saving your britches & family jewels. If you're a little vertically challenged ya place it on the second strand down.
Plus I use 'em for shooting. Anytime you use a hard surface to shoot off of; IE side of a tree, top of a fence post, it'll change your POI (Point Of Impact).  Using one or both pads stops this, plus sparing the finish of the gun. For shooting from the side of a tree or limb I use the flexible pad. Wrapping the gun like a hot dog in a bun.  :wink:
Now if you have the stool w/ ya & the pads you have an excellent prone shooting platform. I've used this to good advantage to nail a g'hog that was near impossible to get into closer range.  :eyebrow:

nastygunz

For shorter stands or on the move I use a bull stool with a camo turkey hunting pad and my turkey vest has a pad in the back for leaning against trees......if im turkey hunting i usually set up in the same spot from daylight till noon and you HAVE to be comfortable so your not miserable the whole time...so I haul out one of those chairs in a bag that folds up...mines camo....just as comfortable as a house chair...its light and has a bag with a strap...cant beat it for long term sitting...also use it deer hunting and for bbqs etc.....i use the drink holder to hold my box call.... :wink:

FinsnFur

I use an air pad thinga ma doo hickey that Brent introduced me to one year, heading down to the LBL.
It cost less then 20 bucks, has a belt attached to it so it stays hanging over your poop chute and is always ready when you plop down. It's got an air release cap to make it softer you can loosen it while your setting on it. And if you loosen it while your off it expands and fills itself back up.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

I use a thin pad that came with my turkey vest.......I do not recommend it. With all my back problems this year I think I need something with a back on it.......But I do not need any more crap to carry.....I may make my own and see what I come up with... :eyebrow:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

I am having trouble figuring out what to use to sit on.  I have one of those folding turkey seats that I use a lot, but it is heavy and noisy and kind of a nuisance.  I recently attached one of those 1 inch thick foam pads to the turkey seat with some wire ties.  It works OK but still the same problems as above.  I also have one of those round cushions filled with foam peanuts that works well.  It is lighter and easier to carry and is not noisy.  It just doesn't get me up high enough to suit me somtimes.  I also have a three legged folding stool that I thought might work out.  Ok whan I,m sitting in it since it gets me up a little higher.  But it is bulky and hard to carry??  So I end up switching back and forth still trying to find out which I like best????  I wish someone would come up with a really light comfortable seat that was quiet and easy to carry and gets you up off the ground a little ways! 

Jim 
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Here is a pic of what I use.   It weighs about 1 1/2 lbs, is very comfortable and is easy to tote.

pitw

I use one of these stadium style seat's and it's easy to carry and unbelievable what it does for the back.  I can sit for an hour where 10 minute's used to hurt with just a tush cush.

I say what I think not think what I say.