• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Tanning 101

Started by FinsnFur, June 14, 2006, 11:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Jim - I may have missed it but is your method with fur on and also may I copy and paste your directions on another site?  I'll give you full credit for the post.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

The article posted here is fur on.
Dehairing an making buckskin has a whole additional process before tanning though.
And yes...your more then welcome to paste it or share wherever you'd like.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

Thanks Jim, appreciate it.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

coyote101

Jim,

I am trying to tan a raccoon tail and have a couple of questions. I stripped the tail from the coon and did not split it, and I can't turn it inside out, so scraping the fat and crap from the skin is not possible. I watched a video of a guy who tans tails and followed his lead, which is pretty much the same as the instructions on the tanning solution I used.

The tail is soft and supple, and doesn't smell, but the hide part feels very oily. I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong? Should it have been salted longer? Should I redo the process, or is it not possible to get a good result without splitting the tail?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Pat...I've never been a believer in those, "all in one lotion tans". But regardless... what was the actual process?
You said your wondering what you may have did wrong. But I'm not sure what you did yet. :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 08, 2022, 04:53:38 PM
Pat...I've never been a believer in those, "all in one lotion tans". But regardless... what was the actual process?
You said your wondering what you may have did wrong. But I'm not sure what you did yet. :confused:

Jim,

I filled the tail with table salt and let that sit for a day. Then soaked it in a salt water solution for a day. Then washed it with Dawn detergent and let it get semi dry.  Then applied the tanning solution and let it soak in for about sixteen hours. Washed it again and shampooed it, and let it dry. That's pretty much the directions on the bottle. except for scraping the hide, which I can't do that since I didn't split the tail. It is soft, but still feels greasy. Suggestions?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

So when you say the "hide feels greasy" you mean the fur?
If your referring to the skin, it might be the tanning lotion. I've never used those but I'm guessing it would have a residue.
If your referring to the hair. I'm surprised the dawn didnt work for you. As you know coons are greasy ass creatures to begin with, so I'm guessing it just didnt get degreased enough.

There's a couple things you can do.
One - damp a wrap with white gas or lantern fuel and wipe the fur down with it. Thats how I used to degrease bears. It works well.
or
Two - fill a ziplock bag or plastic grocery bag with hardwood sawdust and throw your tail in in with it. Then put it in your dryer and let it tumble for a while with NO heat. The saw dust will clean up the fur. I made a tumbler for doing this on a large scale and the hides just rode in the barrel with the saw dust. But this small scale quick fix version should do the same for your tail.

Or you could do BOTH methods.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

The fur is clean and soft, it's the skin that feels greasy. I may just watch this one, to see if it dries more, or begins to smell. I have a couple more that I'm working on, and I think I will salt them for several days and change the salt every day, to see if that makes a difference. I'd like to do this without splitting them, but I may have to. I have a coyote tail as well, and it's hard to get the salt all the way to the tip of the tail, so I may just go ahead and split it to begin with.

Pat
NRA Life Member

FinsnFur

The saw dust tumble will clean the skin too. It does wonders.
I used to use a scalpel to slit the tip of the tails and then poke salt down into them until it came out my slit, using a very tiny rod or small screw driver.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 08, 2022, 05:58:48 PM
The saw dust tumble will clean the skin too. It does wonders.
I used to use a scalpel to slit the tip of the tails and then poke salt down into them until it came out my slit, using a very tiny rod or small screw driver.

I don't have a tumbler, but may see if I can pick one up.

I like the idea of putting a small slit near the tip. I have been using a wooden skewer to try to jam the salt all the way to the tip, but once the salt gets a little moist, it's hard to move.

Thanks Jim.

Pat
NRA Life Member

FinsnFur

No problem keep us up to date let us know how it goes. By the way your clothes dryer will work as a tumbler as mentioned above. Maybe I didn't elaborate on that enough to explain it. But putting your tail in a bag of sawdust to keep the saw dust from getting all over your dryer it will still tumble with the tail and clean it and condition it. Almost every Tannery in the world today uses hardwood tumbling techniques.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 08, 2022, 06:55:08 PM
No problem keep us up to date let us know how it goes. By the way your clothes dryer will work as a tumbler as mentioned above. Maybe I didn't elaborate on that enough to explain it. But putting your tail in a bag of sawdust to keep the saw dust from getting all over your dryer it will still tumble with the tail and clean it and condition it. Almost every Tannery in the world today uses hardwood tumbling techniques.

Thanks Jim.

Pat
NRA Life Member