• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Recent posts

The Tailgate / Today in history 4-17
Last post by remrogers - Yesterday at 09:11:17 AM
April 17
Eddie Cochran dies, and Gene Vincent is injured, in a UK car accident

Eddie Cochran, the man behind "Summertime Blues" and "C'mon Everybody," is killed on April 17, 1960 when the taxi carrying him from a show in Bristol, England, crashed en route to the airport in London, where he was to catch a flight back home to the United States. A raw and exciting rocker with a cocky, rebellious image, Eddie Cochran was very different from the polished and packaged idols being heavily marketed to American teenagers in the years between the rise of Elvis Presley and the arrival of the Beatles. And while he may have faded from popular memory in the years since his tragic and early death, his biggest hits have not.

Cochran was on a triumphant concert tour of Britain in the spring of 1960—a tour that had been extended 10 weeks beyond its scheduled run due to intense demand for tickets. In America, a tamer brand of pop was in fashion, exemplified by the likes of Frankie Avalon, Paul Anka and Bobby Darin. In England, however, harder-edged rhythm-and-blues artists and rock-and-rollers like Eddie Cochran and his tour-mate Gene Vincent (of "Be Bop a Lula" fame) were far more popular. Theirs was the kind of music that the future members of the British Invasion were listening to in the late 50s and early 60s. It was "Be Bop A Lula," in fact, that John Lennon was playing at the 1957 garden party where he first met Paul McCartney, and it was Cochran's "Twenty Flight Rock" that Paul taught John to play that same afternoon, shortly after being invited to join Lennon's Quarrymen. At least one Beatle, George Harrison, saw Eddie Cochran in Liverpool during his final tour, and both his guitar-playing and his stage persona made a strong impression. "He was standing at the microphone and as he started to talk he put his two hands through his hair, pushing it back," Harrison later recalled. "And a girl, one lone voice, screamed out, 'Oh, Eddie!' and he coolly murmured into the mike, 'Hi honey.' I thought, 'Yes! That's it—rock and roll!"

Gene Vincent was traveling alongside Eddie Cochran in the cab to London after what would prove to be Cochran's final performance. Tour manager Patrick Thompkins and Eddie's fiancée, songwriter Sharon Seeley (she wrote Ricky Nelson's #1 hit "Poor Little Fool") were also in the Ford Consul that was later estimated to have been traveling in excess of 60 mph through a dark and winding section of the two-lane A4 in the village of Chippenham. Gene Vincent would break his collarbone, but beyond that, the only serious injuries among the passengers were Eddie Cochran's. Having been thrown from the vehicle when it smashed into a light post, Cochran sustained a serious head injury. He died at hospital in Bath in the early hours of April 17, 1960.
The Tailgate / Today in history 4-16
Last post by remrogers - April 16, 2024, 10:33:58 AM
April 16
Hallucinogenic effects of LSD discovered

In Basel, Switzerland, Albert Hofmann, a Swiss chemist working at the Sandoz pharmaceutical research laboratory, accidentally consumes LSD-25, a synthetic drug he had created in 1938 as part of his research into the medicinal value of lysergic acid compounds. After taking the drug, formally known as lysergic acid diethylamide, Dr. Hofmann was disturbed by unusual sensations and hallucinations. In his notes, he related the experience:

"Last Friday, April 16, 1943, I was forced to interrupt my work in the laboratory in the middle of the afternoon and proceed home, being affected by a remarkable restlessness, combined with a slight dizziness. At home I lay down and sank into a not unpleasant, intoxicated-like condition characterized by an extremely stimulated imagination. In a dreamlike state, with eyes closed (I found the daylight to be unpleasantly glaring), I perceived an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors. After some two hours this condition faded away."

After intentionally taking the drug again to confirm that it had caused this strange physical and mental state, Dr. Hofmann published a report announcing his discovery, and so LSD made its entry into the world as a hallucinogenic drug. Widespread use of the so-called "mind-expanding" drug did not begin until the 1960s, when counterculture figures such as Albert M. Hubbard, Timothy Leary and Ken Kesey publicly expounded on the benefits of using LSD as a recreational drug. The manufacture, sale, possession and use of LSD, known to cause negative reactions in some of those who take it, were made illegal in the United States in 1965.
Birds / Re: Spring turkey season in Ke...
Last post by Hawks Feather - April 16, 2024, 07:58:34 AM
Good looking bird and it was kind of you to help him out.
Forum Issues and Questions / Re: Posting Pictures
Last post by nastygunz - April 15, 2024, 10:18:55 PM
I SURRENDER..... :biggrin:
Last post by FinsnFur - April 15, 2024, 08:57:28 PM
Glen and Nasty are pounding on the table right now  :alscalls:  :madd:
Non Hunting/Fishing Photos / Quick Thinker!
Last post by nastygunz - April 15, 2024, 08:56:17 PM
Birds / Re: Spring turkey season in Ke...
Last post by nastygunz - April 15, 2024, 08:55:12 PM
Holy moley, it aint that green here! Nice bird!
Birds / Spring turkey season in Kentuc...
Last post by coyote101 - April 15, 2024, 08:25:16 PM
Saturday was opening day of the Kentucky spring turkey season. It took a bit of work, but we managed to get my nephew his first turkey.

You cannot view this attachment.
Last post by Todd Rahm - April 15, 2024, 03:34:05 PM
I think in the past, most of my pics were to big. Most probably still are. It was the resizing process steps and amount of time, that kept me from sharing photos.
Last post by Todd Rahm - April 15, 2024, 03:29:57 PM
Test