• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Uploading an Avatar Picture?

Started by GunDog, October 06, 2009, 09:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunDog

Mr Jim,
Am I over looking the feature in my settings or is it not there??  I've also noticed that I can't view profiles of other members. Are these features private or am I missing something here? Is there some sort of probationary period for us newbies? If so I can give references. Just curious, and thanks in advance!

FinsnFur

GunDog, private messages will kick in automatically after your 25th post. That, along with the other permissions are board wide meaning everyone has to go through the same probationary period. I cant adjust the setting for a single user.

That rule, simply prevents people from joining the board to sell things via private message advertisements. There's no fee to sell things here or run banners, the only thing required is participation. So if someone has to advertise via private message, then they clearly have no interest in participating.

I'm 100% sure that you fall no where near that category  :wink: Just explaining the permission rule.

As far as avatars, we ran into some trouble a while back with images getting uploading that contained malicious code. (described here)
Again I'm near positive you have no intentions of this either,  but the board wide permission for adding avatars, comes after 100 posts.

Since there is no good way to override that either for a single user, you or any other new member waiting to cross the 100 posts threshold, are more then welcome to send me the avatar along with your board name and I will gladly put it into place for you, eliminating your 100 post waiting period. :wink:

admin@finsandfur.net
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

GunDog

Thanks for the help Mr. Jim! I had it about figured out from reading some of the other post here. I do appreciate your quick response just the same. Is there some where to read the avatar and/or picture posting requirements, sizes? From here on out I'll try and be less aggravating to ya :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Most of the rules or permission procedures are pinned in the Board Announcements (updates and rules) Forum. But what you dont find, feel free to ask. You arent aggravating anyone :wink:

As far as picture sizes, you can post any size picture you want. The site is trained to adjust them accordingly.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Wolfwoman

Good info! I didn't know about the avatar and I miss mine!! lol
If it can be made from fur I can make it!!

Send me a fur and I will made you a hat or mitts for $50

FinsnFur

Send it to me Wolfwoman, and I'll put it in for you.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

slagmaker

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 06, 2009, 10:04:53 PM
As far as picture sizes, you can post any size picture you want. The site is trained to adjust them accordingly.

You should have seen him waking up in the mornings to let the site out. It took Jim the longest time before he got the right amount of BS and fishing stories in the mix so the site could hold it till morning. But now look all traiined and house broken. Self adjusting pictuers and sending out automatic emails. How far the site has come. I hear next week hes going to try to teach it to shake hands and roll over. :biggrin: :wink:
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Wolfwoman

FinsnFur

Your right it is. :wink:

and Slag...your pretty perceptive arent ya. :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Wolfwoman

<----------------------  ME!!! Thank you!

slagmaker

Wolfwoman

slagmaker

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 07, 2009, 06:26:11 PM
Your right it is. :wink:

and Slag...your pretty perceptive arent ya. :biggrin:

somebody has to make you do a  :confused:  everynow and then :eyebrow:

GunDog

Jim - Can ya get this one in my avatar for me? One on the walls in the dusty old man cave. Thanks

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

GunDog

Thanks Boss. It's starting to look more like home here now!  :highclap:

FinsnFur

UPDATE!

I've done some rearranging and changed how your avatars are stored on the server. The way the developers of this forum software have it, it just wastes valuable resources and slows things down.

For inquiring minds, every single avatar load is another php call, which loads a session, the user's settings and permissions, the board and its theme. In addition, two additional calls to the database are made to load the avatar itself, and to increment the view counter. 
If five different avatars are displayed on a page, that's five additional php calls and dozens of database queries getting made.

So not only will this reduce the processor load on our server, it's also reducing our database load. Which keeps this place humming just that much faster, even under traffic.

The side effects to this
Very minute when compared to the performance increase, but your avatars will have to be resized to a maximum width of 99 pixels before they will upload for you. Which is the standard avatar size around here.

Previously you could upload a picture the size of Lordal's tablecloth and PHP would resize them for you.

Need one resized? I'm not too hard to find :biggrin:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

That's cool boss but I think mine will look after itself :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

GunDog

QuotePreviously you could upload a picture the size of Lordal's tablecloth and PHP would resize them for you.

I bet I'm guilty :doh2: I have not seen Lordsal's table cloth but, I've loaded a couple of big'uns. Sorry boss ...  :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

no, no there's nothing to feel guilty about.
By me removing all stress of php, and session calls when an avatar is required to load, the resizing which is a php call also, goes with it.

Just saying that because of it, the avatars will have to be resized ahead of time now. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers