• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Going to start down loading.

Started by trailtwister, October 06, 2015, 07:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtwister

Tired of all the time and hoops to jump thru I have to do to get rim fire ammo. I enjoy the time at a loading bench.

Nice Ruger 77 22 hornet 20 inch barrel walnut stock is about to become a squirrel rifle and for just plain fun plinking.

Article in handloader mag a while ago told how to down load speeds for the hornet and 223 so you can thumb your nose at high priced rim fire ammo sellers.

:eyebrownod:  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

slagmaker

I have thought about a 22k Hornet but really know nothing about them.

But can you really get the price down to close to 22lr by down loading your charges?
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Dale

Quote from: slagmaker on October 07, 2015, 08:40:43 AM

But can you really get the price down to close to 22lr by down loading your charges?

get a Hornet just because they are fun to shoot and easy to load...

you can't get prices down to the cost of 22rf, only because of the bullet cost, UNLESS you can find some really cheap cast lead bullets...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

Dale

Quote from: slagmaker on October 07, 2015, 08:40:43 AM

that is a KHornet you see in my avatar... I've had a Hornet in some variation in the arsenal since 1975, and never regretted a moment of the time... my present is a 22KHornet in a T/C Encore 26" bbl, shoots like a house a fire... I used it up north as my primary night shooter for fox and other furbearers, and my go to gun for short range ground hogs, under 300 yards...

here's a pic of a young lad I was mentoring before I moved to NC with his first G-hog and the KHornet on the tripod in the background...

as the "K" is a 26" heavy barrel, it's just a tad heavy for a walk around gun, so I put together a 17 Hornady Hornet as a light stalker, on a T/C Contender action... with a 3X9 scope, it measures 37½" long and maybe 6½-7#... even shooting store bought ammo this lil beauty shoots under .33@100 yds...

this is the 17Hornet, standard 22Hornet and the KHornet... with the 17 and the K you can see how the case walls are blown out and a shoulder added, behind a shortened neck... makes for a much more efficient burn when you touch off the powder...

trailtwister

I shoot 16 cents per round loads. May be cheaper to shoot 22lr and 22 mag ammo IF YOU COULD WALK IN A STORE AND BY A RESONABLE PRICED BRICK.
But I can not find such an animal, I can buy 100 lr rounds every 7 days at the local gun shop for fair priced ammo and you get what they have.

No if you want to support the resellers and have the 60.00 a brick you can buy it at gun shows.

I would rather spend my money for reloading supply's, my time reloading and shooting and hunting.

Dale

your reloading supplies are much cheaper then what I'm paying... around here primers are 3¢ a piece, powder is running around 7¢/rd, and I know of nowhere to get bullets for 6¢ a piece...   if I could put them together for those prices I'd never drop the hammer on another round of rimfire...

trailtwister

Smelt your own bullets with wheel weights usually free if you smile and ask politely.
I also since the last round of shortages of primers buy them but the 5000 at a time of one type. small pistol small rifle large rifle and magnums.

slagmaker

I had a friend that pored his own lead. If ya didn't add the cost of the equipment it was the cheepest way to go.

If I knew enough shooters that shot the same calabers as me I would think about going that route.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Dale

yeah when you pour your own that makes it a lot cheaper...

I used to buy primers in large lots when I was on the pistol tournament trail... still have many thousand federal sm pistol primers, use them for my accurate loads in the 22 Hornet... I only load them up to 11½gr, after that I start getting pierced primers in my rifle, but I've heard of others that go a lot higher/hotter with them...