• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Shotgun shot???/

Started by 1der, January 11, 2007, 05:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1der

New Yote hunter question. What shot size for 'Yotes"?  I have a 12ga that will shoot up to 3'' shell. Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote is what I have seen. $34.95 for 10 seems a lot. The price doesn't matter IF they do the job. (well I have to get the Yote to come in first.LOL) My primary gun is the AR, the shotgun would be for my son.(27yrs)
1der

keekee

A shot gun is a big help and a good weapon to have here for sure. We use a shotgun allot.

We spent allot of time shooting diffrent chokes and loads. Allot of time on the range and sour shoulders....lol

Dead Coyote load shoots good out of my rem 1187, I'm shooting a .665 choke tube (Kicks) It will flat out rock a coyote or cats. And is almost to much for fox.

But your right its expensive!

I also run #4 Buck out of the Rem 1187. I use a Mod choke and it will lay them down out to 45 yards or so. And it cost allot less.

The main thing is to check your local regs and see what shot size is legal. Get you some loads and a couple choke tubes and hit the range. See what works best out of your gun. Shoot it at diffrent ranges and see what she does.

Brent

THO Game Calls

Yeah, check your regs to see what is legal first.  that is good advice LOL

I run #4 buck in 3 or if I am feeling really manly, 3 1/2 inch magums out of my Mossbergs with mod chokes.   Knocks then right down for me out to 40 or so yards. 

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Kytimberman

Those Dead Coyote loads are awesome, as three coyotes who no longer inhabit the area  can attest.  As hard as I work to call one up, and as seldom as that sometimes occurs, the cost of them is not a real big issue with me, if they work, and they do!  The key is knowing how your gun shoots, and they are all different, so ya gotta pattern it.  Which you won't wanna do too many times, with a 3 1/2" load of DC in a short barrelled Browning 12!

KySongDog

Isn't there a shot chart somewhere? 

coyotehunter_1

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

zapper223

You said , you'd be using the AR , and your son the shotgun . In that case , you can take the ones that hang up with the rifle , and he can get the close work done with the shotgun. If legal #4 buck is great out to 40 yards or so. Even bb is ok if # 4 isn't legal. Just be sure to try different brands and different tubes , to see what patterns the best .

Good Luck,
                                                                                                  zapper223   :eyebrownod:
It was so windy, the hen layed the same egg five times !!!

R Buker

Best is Hevi-shot BB or Federal High Density BB+ out of my 3.5"  10 gauge.  I'll shoot slightly over sixty yards and figure they'll be dead when I get to them.

Bopeye

Quote from: R Buker on January 16, 2007, 11:32:37 AM
Best is Hevi-shot BB or Federal High Density BB+ out of my 3.5"  10 gauge.  I'll shoot slightly over sixty yards and figure they'll be dead when I get to them.

Where can I find these Randy? I have almost pulled every speck of hair out of my head looking and can't find a good BB load. Thank you ahead of time.  :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Bills Custom Calls

#4 buck copper coated at Wal-Mart for around $8.00 for 10 of them I thought was a good Price

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

weedwalker

In Somerset,ky,  Pauls Discount has Federal 3" copper plated BB. $26.99 for 25. My Mossberg has trouble ejecting them, but I think it's a Mossberg problem.

R Buker

Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

There's a store in my home town that stocks these things for me.  They have all that you'd ever need... and the nice part is that they will ship them!

You can call them at 218-338-6500 and ask for Tom.  Tell 'em Randy sent ya.

My favorite in the 10 gauge is the Federal High Density in BB+ but they do have the hevi-shot loads as well.

Randy

bigben

they do not have them in 12 ga 3 in mags do they the hevi shot. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

R Buker

They don't have hevi shot OR Federal High Density in 3" mags????  That's hard to believe.  Just 3.5"  ?????

Bopeye

Thanks Randy............finding 10 gauge ammo can be quite the trick.  :whew:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

GAJoe

Cabela's has "Dead Coyote" on sale . $25 for 3.5", $24 for 3". Can't beat 'em!
GAJoe

FinsnFur

That must vary by store because I couldnt find any here about two weeks ago  :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com