• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What am I gonna do?

Started by vvarmitr, June 24, 2008, 10:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

Ruger, my Mt Cur, is 5yrs old & has nipped my stepdaughter twice & Coyote Kate once.  :huh:  But he don't give me any chit.
CK took him to the Vet for his shots & told him about the aggression.  They said to either neuter, obedience training, put him down, or start breeding w/ him.
My problem in the equation is w/ the job I have.  No time to really work w/ him.  He's a super smart healthy dog & I don't even have him trained to heel.  :rolleye:   Pretty embarrassing.  :sad:
I wanted to use him for stud & get a good female, but I can't get time to finish the kennel so I can handle them both.
And why buy another dog?  So I can have two untrained dogs?   :doh2:
Maybe I should plug him & burn what kennel I have.
What do you guys think?

DirtyDog

That is tough VV......whatever you decide, I wish him the best.  :wink:

KySongDog

I don't think I would have the heart to "plug" him.   :sad:  But I'm just an old softy.   :nono:

Why not just give him away to a new home?  Or is the solution not that simple?

Semp

misfire

#1700 God's Speed my brother

Bopeye

Neuter and a shock collar.  :wink:

My male had started getting aggressive towards my other dogs. Something I won't tolerate at all. I won't even let them walk stiff legged around each other. Ya have to catch them in the act, but when you do..........KAPOW!!!
I caught my male beating the chit out of a pup. I shocked him to the point that the pee started to run.
Any dog in my yard can now do whatever and he will tolerate it. Not sure if he likes it, but he doesn't let me know any different.  :sneer:
Curs are way too smart to allow them to get away with that crap.  :eyebrownod:

I wish you the best Vic.

Sending him to a very strong willed friend for a month or so may help as well. He would come back to your house knowing he was the lowest dog on the pecking order. It's all about dominance. Gotta show them who is the boss.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

tipmover

1. Possibly kennel the dog while you not home or eliminate the situations that allow the accidents
2. Sending him to a new home will just pass off the problem to somebody else
3. IMO , big dogs that bite are a BIG liability. Use your best descretion. My sister owned a Rott that turned into a problem biter and had to put him down.

iahntr

I agree wholeheartedly with Bop. I'd bet all my money on it being a dominance issue.
He doesn't give you any crap, cause he sees you as the top dog, and without knowing
some more details (like how, or who feeds him, who, and how time is spent with him etc.)
whatever reason he sees himself as being second in command. The first thing I'd do is neuter him!
I think there'd be a real good chance that'd take care of it. A shock collar would also be a good training
"tool" to help reestablish the pecking order.
Just my opinions, but I definitely wouldn't let it go any longer, it would probably only get worse.
Sucky situation to be put in,  :sad: one we thankfully have not been put in with any of our dogs.
       Scott   
Scott

alscalls

Neuter and a shock collar :eyebrownod: I like it Has worked wonders for me in the past , but ya gotta work with them.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

Quote from: tipmover on June 24, 2008, 01:59:24 PM
2. Sending him to a new home will just pass off the problem to somebody else
That's why I didn't make that an option along w/ dumping him off in the country somewhere.

CK takes care of him more often then I can.  But her & the girls think they can just LOVE his problem away.  :doh2: :iroll:

CK generally has the shock collar on him when he's off the chain. (No I don't get free then either; we have a double set.  :shck: ) The day he nipped her she had shocked him. Momonts later he nailed her.  :argh:

Neutering ya say!?!  :wo:  I ain't keen on it, but maybe that is best.  I don't have time to get things done w/ them & CK hates to lose him cause he's a good companion when she goes hiking.

Thanks guys. :wink:

alscalls

I have nutered some dogs like that and they dont like you for a couple of weeks and then they are calm and totaly different animals. Some dogs will never change no matter what........But it is worth the effort. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls