• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What would you do?

Started by MattS, April 14, 2007, 10:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Al
When you come up with an innovative design, such as the Bonker, why not get a patent for it? Or is the cost to do so prohibitive?  I'm not up to speed on patents but there has to be a way to protect one's creative work. 

Semp

Greenside

I believe Will Primos got something  like 3 million from HS for a patent infringement on a diaphragm call.

THO Game Calls

Matt,

Nothing to feel guilty about.  If the tone boards helped you learn to design one of your own, that's what it's all about.

I have about 15 commercial open reed calls in one of my boxes.  I use them to study how they were mede.  The more you think about this stuff, the better call you will make.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Arkyyoter

Wonderful thread.....good information, provacotive.....thanks guys.

Joe

FinsnFur

Now joe's gonna go copy everybody  :laf:

J/K Joe :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

MattS

I am trying to come up with something new.  Al, can you send me some details and dimensions on your Bonkers  :innocentwhistle:

THO Game Calls

The barrel is between 1 3/4"and 2"  long, 1  1/4 wide.  The mouth piece is 2 3/4" long, about 1 inch at the mouth end....  the bore is 1/2"

Or, you just buy one and figure them out for yourself.

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

THO Game Calls

Oh - I forgot -

The mouthpiece has an agressive vortex air intake that alows me to seat the reed deeper in the cqll making this a very easy to blow call.

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

THO Game Calls

Sorry - I guess I am just taking this the wrong way.  It doesn't seem that funny to me.  Perhaps I am missing something -

Time for a break for a while.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Todd Rahm

MattS

sorry Al, I shouldn't have gone there. Man do I feel like shat now.

Ladobe

Plant your duff with some graph paper and a pencil and start drawing some ideas.   Not one or two, but dozens or even hundreds.   Then start spinning some out of cheap wood (I used basswood) to see what they really look like in form and if they will be comfortable to use.   May take months or even years, but sooner or later you'll hit on something you like and that you can call your own.   

I think what frustrates some of the older tenure call makers (including myself) is that so many of the new generation spinners don't want to invest the time and effort themselves like had to (because there wasn't much out there to copy then).   They want to shortcut everything by either being shown how by others or copying what others have proven by their our time and efforts.   An artist that copies another's work is not an artist.   Holds true with being a custom predator call craftsman too.

FWIW

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Jimmie in Ky

And if you can't draw worth a crap just grab some cheap wood and start playing with it.Don't worry about boring it to make a call. Play with the designs and learning to work the wood. You would be surprised at how fast the ideas will come. JImmie

MattS

I am an engineer, I know all about sketching designs.  Most design concepts I will do in cad.  I get a lot better feel on how its going to look.  I can also put a wood grain on the cad model.

That comment towards Al's design dimensions was jokingly pointed towards the topic of this thread.  I apologive to Al for bringing his call into it.  I would never want to or have the ability to copy one of his designs.

quackerstacker

the graph paper and pencil is a great idea. i have almost a whole note book full of sketches and doodles of duck calls i have designed.

steve
my name is steve and im addicted to bonkers

THO Game Calls

Matt- no big deal - we're good.

I think everyone, including me took it wrong.   We'll get over it.  Time to move on and make some calls.   Having seen some of Matt's calls, I doubt he will have to resort to copying anyone elses work. 

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Bopeye

Yep...........Al and Matt both make fine calls so I really doubt they will copy each other. I don't know if it's my natural ability to take most things as humor, but I felt like Matt was actually paying THO a compliment and trying to be funny at the same time.
Just my take on it......... :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

vvarmitr

kiyitec

With all the copying talk and jokes, I thought it  was A well placed jest. 

Remember the things missing from text- tone and emotion, let alone the rib poke'n Al would have received in the the process.

I am going to "copy" Al this weekend hopefully.  Been studying the tutorial section of my favorite site.  I'll see if I can geterdone so you guys can laugh at me!  ~KT
"DESIGNATED SITUATIONAL CALLER"
  Contact me for information on how to become one today, and see how easy it is to save money on guns & ammo.  List of references available upon request.

Arkyyoter

If all ya'll will please send me one of your calls, and one of your tone boards ....... :sneer:  :innocentwhistle:  :wink:  :biggrin: