• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Surf fishing

Started by Dave, June 05, 2010, 06:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Here are a few pics of the fish we caught while surf fishing in N. Wildwood

This is me with a  26 1/2 lb striper (this is my new personal best by 8 lbs)

about the same time my friend caught a 56 lb drum, so here is one of the both of us

Then about an hour later he caught this pig - a 41 lb-er

I also specialize in primative rod repair in case you didn't notice.  I snapped it about a week ago just above the ferrel.  A little duct tape, a pruned willow branch and some PVC (and no concern for style points) was all it took.  I also caught a 20/25 pound cow nosed ray with it.  That thing really put my repair job to the test.  It was probably four and a half feet wing tip to wing tip.  Wish I had a pic of that, but I had let it go before thinking of taking a pic.   Great day on the beach!

FinsnFur

Holy crap...what were you using for bait?...feral hogs? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Very cool !
Congrats  :yoyo:
Scott

alscalls

WOW those are nice!!!!!   :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Todd Rahm

Man, sign me up.  :congrats:

So what, ya just wade out and cast?  :wo:

pitw

I'd a cut the line or at least shown I could out run you :innocentwhistle:.  Man them is huge and from shore too. :congrats:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

WOW WOW WOW!  That looks like terrific fun!  I've always wanted to surf fish for big stuff like that, don't know if I ever will but good for you for living the dream!

HuntnCarve

Sweet Dave!  Be sure and slip a fillet in the freezer for your Ol' buddy HuntnCarve.  :wink: I'm impressed with your rod fixing abilities by the way. :congrats:

Dave

THanks for the comments.  Lots of fun.  The guy with me posted a great write up on a fishing website that really gives you a feel for what it's like.  Here is that post if any are interested 
http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2291868&posted=1#post2291868

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 05, 2010, 06:42:38 PM
Holy crap...what were you using for bait?...feral hogs? :laf:
We were using clams.  My bass had a few small crabs in it that were no bigger than your thumbnail.  One guy up the beach caught a 46
pounder on a bloodworm.  A bloodworm is about as long as a nightcrawler, but thinner than an earthworm.  Wouldn't feed a baby robin for a day, and a 49 inch bass is sucking it up off the bottom.

Quote from: Todd Rahm on June 05, 2010, 10:52:53 PM
So what, ya just wade out and cast?  :wo:
That's it, just wade out and cast.  All you have to do is cast just past where the waves crash.

And Dave, I wouldn't give you a filet from those as I'd never hear the end of it.  They sat in the sun just a little too long and are going to the in-laws :hahaha:

HaMeR

I've seen a lot of surf fishing pics & those are some of the nicest fish I've seen!! Congratulations to the both of you!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Todd Rahm

Dave, tell your buddy thats a perty good write up.  :congrats:

He mentions a 30 lb shock, what does he mean by that? (just a dummy question on my behalf, I suppose.)  :wink:

Dave

Todd,
we were all using a shock leader.  All that it is is a length of about 18" to 24" of a heavier mono line tied to the end of your line.  I used a 30# braid on the reel, and then a 40# shock leader tied to the end.  The braid (which was 8# diameter in thickness) allows further casts and is less drag in the water, so less weight is needed to hold bottom.  The shock leader is just more abrasion proof than braid.  If you don't use it, and the fish runs into some rocks - or if it's hooked deeper than its mouth, the line easily gets freyed and gives out.
Also, we were using a bottom rig fishing two baits.  The heavier mono keeps it all separated and untangled. 

Frogman

Wow!  Nice fish!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

cb223

Nice!!! Looks like alot of fun
CHAD