• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Vertical..Horizontal...or..Pendulum?

Started by canine, September 18, 2007, 08:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canine

What do most of ya have for sights?

I have the Trophy Ridge Matrix, It took some time gettin used to the vertical pins but since I have, I can't shoot horizontals now.

Been thinkin about tryin a pendulum sight....anyone using one? And how do ya like it?

JD

wv_yoter

I've got vertical pin sights. Vital Gear is the name I believe,I don't think I'll ever shoot horizontal again.
Jason

newbomb

Silencer

Once I went Vertical, I never went back.  Its the ticket IMO.  Dont recall the brand I'm using.

bigben

savage pendulum for hunting and then for target a vertical adjustable sight by cobra not sure of the name. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

cb223

I have horizontal but it sounds like I need to switch to vertical! Maybe with the new bow next year.

As for pendulum. I have never tried one! For some reason I just don't like the idea. Don't trust em?
CHAD

iahntr

I still shoot horizontal. I've looked through the verticals before, they just seem screwy to me, but so do lotsa things when you're used to something for so long. I'd be willing to try one sometime though.
I've never thought that much about the pendulums, just never thought they were necessary.
Scott

canine

At first the vertical were odd. But after shooting them for a while, I like em better than horizontals.
Your able to line your shots up better as far as left to right goes.

I really haven't been sold on pendulums yet. I read that there advantage is holding on target out to 35 yards or so from a tree stand. With todays bows shooting as fast and flat as they do, my 25 and 35 yard pins are so close together that I don't feel I need to switch for that reason.

Are there any other advantages bigben?

JD

bigben

I hunt mainly on the ground in the mountian but at times it would be like shooting out of a tree stand because of how steep.  my bow shoots quick enough that it is good from straight ahead to as far down to my toes out to about 30 yds.  which is about as far as I can shoot anyhow.  when the moment comes then there is no need to worry about gettin pins mixed up.  plus the pendulum that I shoot has iridum or somethin along them lines that makes the sight glow till to dark to see and it is not as overbearing as a fiber optic with a black light on it.  I have shot it out of a tree stand and it is very close.  I cannot tell a difference at all. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

BigB

I shoot verticals as well.

Was talking to a guy today at work that had a pendulum.  The pendulum he had required a peep sight.  He said that he couldn't take a monster buck last year because right at dusk (with legal shooting light available), he couldn't see the pendulum through the peep.  The peep reduced the light enough to eliminate seeing the pendulum.  I don't know what kind he had, or if he had any fiber optics on it.  But he said that he will never go back to a pendulum.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

bigben

I shoot mine with a peep but have never had a problem.  if you shoot enough and have good anchor points there is no need for a peep.  I have a kisser and the way my release hand rests under my jaw and the peep I have never had a problem.  in fact i shot without a peep for a while but since this magnatec hoyt I bought had one on I just used it. 

bowslinger

studabaka

I have a matrix also and am pretty happy with it. What exactly is a pendulum sight and what does it do for you?
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Mallardsr

The predator IV is a pendulum sight that can be adjusted to exactly follow the trajectory of any bow regardless of speed. I used one for many years and never found anything like it or that could match its accuracy to 40 yards. It was sort of a pain to set up, but it was tennis ball accurate from  0  (straight down) - 40 yards with a IBO bow speed in the 290 -300 fps range. Awesome sight for tree stand hunters. Sighted in properly a ground level shot should hit bulls eye at 30 - 33 yards. No guess work,  just point and shoot.  :biggrin: RP

cb223

It seems that the vast majority use the vertical pins.

What do you like about them, what makes them so much better?
CHAD

canine

mallardsr, Sounds as though a pendulum would be an asset. Are you saying that you can also hold on target shooting off the ground? Or is there minimal adjustment?

cb223, I like them because of being able to line up left to right so much easier.

JD

BigB

cb223, the vertical was my first sight that I had on my bow, and that is what I have gotten used to.  If I had to narrow it down to a single reason, that would probably have to be visibility on both sides of the sight.  It's just more natural to me.  Take the scope on your gun, and black out the right side of it.  Kinda hard to center up the shot without both sides visible.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

studabaka

I just got a new bow [Parker] and it came with a horizontal sight. Seems to work as well as my vertical. Course that could be cause both are gated by the capability of the user.... I sure do like that whisker bisket  :biggrin:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

cb223

Stu, I took the whisker bisket off my bow this year. I found that if I didn't get a perfect release it really affected my accuracy and tore up the fletching on my arrows. Had to refletch every year.

I shot a 3-d course with it then a week later with the new rest(a drop away) my score went up 50 points.

I did like the whisker bisket but if I shot better with something else I'm gonna stick with it.
CHAD