• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Moles for meals

Started by Okanagan, June 09, 2020, 08:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

My son, on whose property I now live, asked me to try to get rid of moles that were making Swiss cheese of his lawn, especially the volley ball area.  For every mole I caught his gourmet cook wife would make me a meal of my choice.  Jambalaya was my first choice, and excellent it was.  ;yes;

Using the Gopher Hawk trap I have 5 confirmed kills and one 98 % probable I didn’t bother to dig out when I accidentally released the trap before pulling the critter out of the ground.  Alas, we have run out of moles.  I feel like Alexander the Great with no more worlds to conquer.

remrogers

Don't worry. They will most likely be back.

Okanagan

pitw

Need a pic of your trap.

We have thousands of moles up here and I used to pay the kids $.25 a mole and they would make $50+ in a spring.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

So, how is Jambalaya when made with moles?  Needless to say, I have never tried it, nor do I plan on that happening.  :wink:     :wink:      :wink:

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on June 09, 2020, 12:42:19 PM
Need a pic of your trap.

We have thousands of moles up here and I used to pay the kids $.25 a mole and they would make $50+ in a spring.

Man, that's a lot of moles!  There is less than an acre of lawn here, and they prefer the lawn over woods and garden. I took six from it but I think the last three trapped came in from the neighbor's to replace the first three.

I'm still limited to posting small bits, will see what I can do re pics.  Google Gopher Hawk if you are interested.  Kinda pricey, but really easy and effective. It is like a giant ball point pen with thin spring steel slats that come out the end and spring out into an open sphere in a mole tunnel. When a mole goes through he hits a little wire trigger hanging down and the steel finger slats snap back up into the barrel of the trap, snaring the mole.

Hawks Feather

I always was told that moles are most active around noon.  Have you noticed that at all?

Edit: I just looked up the Gopher Hawk trap and that is pretty neat.  I have seen pictures of an old style with sort of a fish spear, but this looks nothing like that.

remrogers

It is my understanding that Russian trappers harvest hundreds of thousands of moles yearly. Skins are used to line children's clothing.

Okanagan

Quote from: remrogers on June 10, 2020, 08:59:55 AM
It is my understanding that Russian trappers harvest hundreds of thousands of moles yearly. Skins are used to line children's clothing.

How about that.

The fur is beautiful, and very soft.  Talking with a cousin last week she said that they are so pretty she'd like a coat made from mole skins, but it would take a bunch of them!

Hawks Feather

nastygunz

Pitw  is sitting on a gold mine 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

[/quote]