• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Flew to Friday Harbor for lunch

Started by Okanagan, June 23, 2020, 02:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Just before noon yesterday a retired friend with an airplane phoned and asked if I wanted to fly over to Friday Harbor for a hamburger.  Sure.

Friday Harbor is on San Juan Island in the San Juan group of islands between the US mainland and Vancouver Island, Canada.  Blue sky, calm sea, islands backed by snow capped ranges of mountains in almost every direction.  We walked half a mile from the airport down to the harbor, looked at yachts and ate superb scallops and chips.  We spotted a pod of gray whales spouting on the way home and circled them.  They look like submarines down in the clear water.

My son texted me wanting something.  I mentioned being in Friday Harbor and he phoned, “What!?”

I live 3 or 4 miles from our little air strip, and it is exactly 26 miles across the Strait of Juan de Fuca  from our strip to the airport at Friday Harbor.

nastygunz

It sounds like your new home is turning into a pretty good experience for you 👍

remrogers

So what happened to the hamburger you were going to get? Scallops - burger; tough choice.

Okanagan

Quote from: remrogers on June 23, 2020, 08:30:26 PM
So what happened to the hamburger you were going to get? Scallops - burger; tough choice.

:innocentwhistle: :biggrin:

The hamburger place on the airport property was closed, and though my friend asked me if I wanted hamburger or something else, he had this excellent seafood place in mind from the start!  :congrats: Friday Harbor is a touristy place, lots of trendy shops and restaurants within 3 blocks of the ferry so people walk on the ferry from the mainland and go over for a day, without taking a car on the ferry.

Nasty, my "old" friends, long term since a kid with some of them, are in the US, so am picking up with men I hung with in my 20's.  We've been a few places, got the T-shirt and the scars, fine companionship renewed without having to establish credibility nor prove anything to anybody.

Hawks Feather

nastygunz

For anybody who doesn't know Friday harbor is just a hop skip and a jump down the road from Saturday Cove  :innocentwhistle: