• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

New Leupold scope . . .

Started by Frogman, August 21, 2013, 09:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Ended up with this Leupold scope, VX-3 4.5-14x40mm Adj. Obj. CDS.  Here are some pictures I took at the range today.

The scope mounted on my R-15.

The AO ring.

The CDS knob.  I got a voucher to order a Free ring for this knob.  I have to send in my load information and Leupold will make a ring that will match my load.  Then with the rifle sighted in at 100 yards all I have to do to shoot at 200 yards or 300 yards is rotate the turret to that range on the ring!

This is my offset Burris Fastfire II red dot sight for those coyotes that come in close!

I have had the scope to the range twice.  Did one coyote stand with it.  So far I like it real well!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Nice set up.  :congrats:
What did you have to clear that caused you to mount it so high?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Looks like a nice set up - especially with the Burris on the side for close shots.

Jerry

Frogman

Jim,
With the AR the cheek weld puts my eye at that level.  I think it would be uncomfortable if it were any lower.

Jim

FinsnFur

That does make sense, but arent you worried about losing trajectory accuracy? I'm not a sharp shooter by any means I would just expect a high mounted scope to create a lot of space between your line of site and actual bullet trajectory.
None the less I do like the set up.  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Jim,

With this setup I shoot 60 grain V-Max bullets pushed with 25 grains of Benchmark.  I sight in 1 1/2 inch high at 100 yards.  This puts me dead on at 200 yards.  Without looking up the data I think I'm 6 - 8 inches low at 300 yards.  I pretty much just hold dead on on coyotes from 50 out to 200 yards.  I seldom shoot at coyotes further than 200 yards.  Under 50 yards I will just cant the rifle to the left and use the Burris red dot sight.  I really don't know why I so much wanted the scope with the CDS turret.  I probably won't use it.  I would prefer to have the scope closer to the bore line but with the AR platform it's just not comfortable for me.  With my cheek on the stock and my lips nearly touching the charging handle this puts the scope in the right place.  That's also why the scope looks like it's mounted too far forward.  Works for me.

By the way the quality on this scope is top flight!  I'm not sure it is much clearer than the Nikon I took off this rifle but the overall quality is higher.  The windage and elevation adjustments are crisp and snug.  The finish and all markings are also very sharp and crisp.  I'm impressed!  I just hope this system works well the next time I get a coyote called in!?!?

Jim

Okanagan

Frogman

nailbender

WldWldWest

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 22, 2013, 09:48:57 PM
That does make sense, but aren't you worried about losing trajectory accuracy? I'm not a sharp shooter by any means I would just expect a high mounted scope to create a lot of space between your line of site and actual bullet trajectory.
None the less I do like the set up.  :wink:
Optimum distance is 1.5" from bore to center line on a AR
Jimbo, In most instances closer to the bore the better but ya get a quirky cheekweld on a AR when you go any lower

Oh and Goodlookin stick Jim!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

KySongDog

Jim

Did you install that flash hider yourself?   My R-15 did not come with one.   

possumal

Nice looking setup, Froggie.  Hope you put down a bunch of coyotes with it.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Frogman

Semp,

I had this rifle threaded for a suppressor.  The flash hider is the quick disconnect from Yankee Hill Machine.  Just waiting for the paperwork to come through??  Been over 8 months???

Jim

KySongDog

Thanks, Jim.   I've been looking at a .22 suppressor for a while but haven't made the leap yet.   

WldWldWest knows quite a bit about cans I think.

WldWldWest

8 months is a lil long Jim :confused:, there is a number you can call to check on it if you haven't already, your class lll dealer should have it if not let me know and I will dig it up for ya!

Just enough to get me into trouble Johnny!
But the last 2 class lll peices I bought were long in coming so I called and not that the ATFE  gives a hoot but I had both within a couple of weeks, may have been a coincidence though?
It really depends on who handles your region and how often they feel like cleaning off their desk.
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!