• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Maxx's Season Opener

Started by Coulter, October 19, 2015, 05:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

Well, it wasn't technically the opening day of duck season here. That was last weekend in this zone. It was however my first chance to get out with Maxx this season. And he has been waiting patiently for me to get my gear together. It was my first day of hunting as well, I didn't partake in the official opener and leave him behind or anything. How could I do that to a dog like this?

We made an hour drive south of home in somewhat cloudy skies with plenty of sunlight peaking through. Half an hour into the ride we encountered a rain/snow mix and a big smile appeared on my face. This is going to be a good hunt, or so I hoped anyway. We (read I) opted to sleep in and gather our gear up in the morning and make our first duck hunt of the season an evening adventure. We did this mainly to avoid the crowds that are notorious on this piece of hunting ground. The plan appeared to work. when we arrived at the parking area there was only one vehicle there, and that hunter was just coming out of the swamp...with an empty game strap. No worries. He mentioned it was too thick and muddy in there. I think he may have downed a bird or two, but couldn't find them since he had no dog with him.

We unloaded everything from the truck, transferred it into the canoe and prepared to set off. Maxx was having a little issue with being in the canoe again and couldn't quite get the jist of staying center while I attempted to board the boat. We finally got that squared away and off we went.

The weather was calling for 18+ northwest winds, rain and snow. About the only thing present by this time was the sun and wind. We opted to paddle straight into the wind and the light current in the hopes of expediting our journey back to the truck. In hindsight that was a great decision.

As we crept into the wind we flushed a couple of hen mallards from the lily pads. It seemed that was where they wanted to be so we scouted out a spot to set up our mixed spread of 7 ducks and a goose. As I set the blocks out Maxx stayed back on shore whining his displeasure with not being able to play in the mud. Of course looking back now, maybe he was really trying to say..."Load up stupid! There are ducks coming!" As I was adjusting the last couple of decoys 3 wood ducks made there presence known well within shooting range. Stupid rookie mistake there! "That was probably just a fluke", I thought as I made my way back to shore and another wood duck strafed the spread.

Then we sat. And we fidgeted. And swapped this coat out for that one. Removed the hoodie due the hood being in the way. And we sat with loaded gun. Lets try this hat instead, it looks like it may rain again. Lets try standing over there. Nope, no birds there either. Back to the canoe to sit some more. Hey Maxx, I have an idea. Lets drag the canoe over to where we were standing and tuck it in a little better. Maybe the birds (that just aren't flying) are seeing it. Maybe if I sit in it this way it will be more comfortable? Or perhaps this way will allow me to shoulder my gun better?

Yes! It's working! Here come three woodies straight in on us right into the wind as planned. Wait for it, wait for it...boom! Boom! Well, they were clearly not traveling as slowly as I suspected and I waited just a touch (okay a lot) too long. Away they went unharmed but all the wiser. Then we resumed sitting. And daydreaming.

By this time we were both quite comfortable with our positions in the canoe. I'd sit on the bow with my feet outside the boat. This provided me with much more maneuverability, as well as the opportunity to exit the canoe if the need should arise for some reason. By the way, PFD's make excellent seat cushions while not in use. Maxx was tucked in behind the taller reeds, yet still able to see out onto the small pocket of water we were guarding.

And so it went. Nothing traded around our little honey hole the rest of the day. The skies grew increasingly ominous and I figured birds would start flying at any moment. Then the wind picked up. And shortly after the first concentric circles appeared on the water among the dancing lily pads indicating more rain. I glanced toward the shoreline and didn't recall rain being so visible and white. We waited it out in the mixed precipitation for a while longer before the winds really kicked in and it turned to huge flakes of nothing but snow. It was certainly neat to watch it move in among the nearly leafless backdrop of the hardwoods on shore. The contrast was even more bold when it swept across a patch of evergreens mixed into the forest. That's why I duck hunt, to witness spectacles of that nature!

Then it dawned on me. This weather is turning pretty nasty. I'm out here alone other than my faithful hunting companion. The backs of my decoys are going to start turning white in short order. It may just be time to call it quits. I glanced at my watch... 6:07, close enough. I released Maxx to run amongst the lily's. He was ecstatic! Unlike last season, he knew enough to not bring in the decoys for me this time.

We were heading back down the channel and making excellent time with little effort due to the wind at our backs. The 20 or so woodies that flew by us seemed to be making pretty decent time too. As well as the mallards off to our right. A few more paddle strokes and I glanced ahead into the sky and spied three Canadas just in time to see one fall from the flock through the snow squall. The report of the shotgun was heard shortly after as the other two geese made there way to parts unknown. It always amazes me the time lapse from a bird falling or a muzzleblast until the sound reaches you at a distance.

So we too arrived back at the launch site with empty game straps. That's okay though, we came back with vivid memories and a few early season bugs worked out of our gunning strategy. We will take advantage of New York's Western Zone opener next weekend and not squander another season opener. Good gunnin' to you guys and gals!

Steve

Okanagan

Sounds like a good day, and a good day to make a man appreciate a hot drink and a warm dry place for supper.

pitw

That was fun eh.  One need not kill to have an adventure worthy of writing a great report on.  I still kinda/sorta like hunting high and dry in fields though.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Coulter

Absolutely! I was actually wishing I had brought a thermos full of hot coffee instead of a stupid cold Mountain Dew. Don't know what I was thinking there. :confused:

You got that right Barry. I've had many hunts that were plenty memorable and story worthy and never pulled the trigger. It's all about the experience in the field. Meat on the table is nice too, but that can be had on another hunt. With some luck of course.

FinsnFur

Very nice! And I love that pic. My brother has been out with his pup Chesapeake doing pretty well. She hasnt lost or missed one yet.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dale

good lookin dog and fine looking spot...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

nastygunz

Them little Woodys is Rockets!  My success rate on hitting them is about even with Hillary Clinton passing a polygraph test   :biggrin: