• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First gobbler

Started by coyote101, December 10, 2015, 01:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I went scouting yesterday afternoon and saw a group of about fourteen toms and jakes head into a wood line just before sunset. I wasn't sure exactly where they roosted, but I had a pretty good idea. My friend Roy has taken several hens in the past few years, but has never gotten a chance at a tom. So this morning we tried to rectify that.

We had the decoys out and were setup by an hour before sunrise. About forty-five minutes later, we started to hear them waking up in the block of woods I saw them go into last night. I called off and on for the next fifteen minutes and suddenly two of them came out of the wood line about sixty yards away, checking out the decoys. They were cautious, but kept coming and when they got to about thirty yards, Roy let one of them have a 3 1/2 inch load of number 4's. Down he went and Roy had his first gobbler.

Roy and his tom by the decoys.

Roy is a retired Command Sergeant Major, a Viet Nam and Gulf War veteran, recipient of a couple Purple Hearts, and a really good guy to hunt with.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Great story and better pic, Pat.  I'll be dambed if I'll ever have a pic taken in that pose though. :nofgr:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Good for you to take a good man hunting and use your skills to his advantage!  Sounds like he's a pleasure to hunt with.

HuntnCarve

Congrats to Roy!  And to you Pat, for being a good friend. :congrats:  I have to believe even if Roy did not fill a tag.  You two would still have had a memorable hunt. :highclap:

Dave

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Congratulations Roy!!!!!!! Dang nice bird for sure!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Way to go Pat!! You're a great Friend to many people!!   :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dale

congrats on the bird Roy, and a fine looking one it is...  Pat you're a good man for looking after your bud like that...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

Coulter

Nicely done sir...That's what friends are for! :highclap: