• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

This little jake got a bit too close for his own good.

Started by coyote101, April 19, 2016, 09:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I got this Encore .45/.410 pistol a couple of months ago and have been waiting for turkey season to see if I could take a turkey with it.
Because the barrel is rifled, it really slings the shot and has a pretty short effective range. I patterned it with a few different loads and decided to limit shots at turkey to fifteen yards or less.

I normally set my decoys at about twenty yards when hunting with my shotgun or crossbow, but for this I set them at ten yards. I also stuck some small sticks in the ground at about fifteen yards to use as a visual range limit. No shots at anything farther away than the sticks.

Right about sunrise this morning, this little jake came right in to the tom decoy and I shot him at about twelve yards. He went down, flopped around a little bit, and I had my first turkey with a handgun. Now to see if I can get a mature gobbler.

Here is a short video of the shot:

Another one from the box blind.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Yotehntr

Great job Pat! You had me looking at a 410 barrel for my contender on the squirrel hunt, now your just showing off!  :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

HuntnCarve

Pat, you are the Man!

Not only did you use a pistol, but you filmed it too. :congrats:
Congratulations on a fine bird.  Our season does not start till the 30th of April here in PA.  I'm hoping to convince Dave to head upstate for a gobbler hunting adventure.
Good luck with the next one.

Dave

pitw

That is freaking incredible Pat.  I'mm impressed.
I say what I think not think what I say.

gravesco hunter

FinsnFur

Quote from: HuntnCarve on April 19, 2016, 02:49:54 PM
Pat, you are the Man!
Not only did you use a pistol, but you filmed it too. :congrats:
Dave

AAAAnnd..he did it left handed :doh2:
Very nice Pat! Very nice indeed :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Dale

What else will fall to the mighty Contender?...  nice bird for eating...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

riverboss

Wow! Great job Pat.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

nailbender

Okanagan

Whooee!  12 yards with a pistol.  If I ever get to hunt turkey you'd be my pick to show me how.  You are flat out a consistently good hunter.

Dave

Way to go Pat!  Exciting video - I was leaning to the left trying to line up the shot myself. 

nastygunz

We almost have the same gun  :yoyo:..what size shot were you using?

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on April 22, 2016, 11:36:31 PM
We almost have the same gun  :yoyo:..what size shot were you using?

Fiocchi 2 1/2 no. 8's. I tried 2 1/2 and 3 inch no. 6's, but these rifled barrels really sling the shot and I couldn't get a tight enough pattern, even at fifteen yards. The no. 8's gave me a tight enough pattern at fifteen yards for an ethical shot. I decided to limit shots to fifteen yards or less. This guy was about twelve yards when I shot him.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

I use  7 1/2 shot mostly, I might have asked you this already but you have the choke in there also?

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on April 24, 2016, 06:24:39 PM
I use  7 1/2 shot mostly, I might have asked you this already but you have the choke in there also?

Factory choke.
NRA Life Member

WldWldWest

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!