• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Grandson Code's opening morning archery buck

Started by Okanagan, September 04, 2016, 11:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Archery season in WA State opened on Sept. 1.  Code and his brother Jon hiked 3 ½ miles up a forest service trail and camped just below timberline the night before. They hiked on up the main trail another mile before daylight toward a pass.  It was so early that when they split to hunt, Code lay down on the trail at a spot we call the Big Switchback and slept till it got light.  The terrain is steep rock slides, some brush and fingers of stunted trees running up the mountain, with timber below along a creek.

Any deer was legal and Code spotted a doe below him as it got light.    He considered shooting her but decided to look for a buck and just then saw the spike near her.  He laser ranged the buck at 68 yards angle compensated steeply down, at least 75 straight to the deer, and put an arrow through it's chest.  He and his brother shoot the lights out well beyond 75 yards with athletic teenager eyes and reflexes.  I guess if you have what it takes... ! 

Code could see that the deer was hit well so didn't wait long, but the buck got up as he approached.    He put a second arrow into its ribs at 30 yards with his compound bow, cutting the last rib as it angled across and forward, cutting six ribs on the off side as it deflected a bit and came out the brisket.  The deer dropped within 10 feet.  He shoots pretty heavy arrows set up for elk.

Code dragged the buck down to a lower trail and on down toward camp, then came back up to spot and hunt with Jon.  About 3:00 PM they quartered the buck and packed it out and home.  There were lots of yuppie hikers and Code deliberately left the legs with hooves on to stick out the top of their packs.  Again, teen muscles and energy.   Gotta say I like their strength and smile at their style!

pitw

I can't see 75 yds. :pout:  Heck of a good time for the younguns. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

Code deliberately left the legs with hooves on to stick out the top of their packs.... :alscalls: :yoyo: :biggrin:

Dave

Tell the boys congrats! And thanks for the write-up.
We are about a week and a half from our archery season.  Supposed to be in the 90's here over the next few days, too. Hopefully it cools off a little between now and then.

code

Thank you all for the kind comments! Here is a picture of him.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

FinsnFur

I missed this one, nice lil write up Clyde.
Code, your Grampa dont know it, but your making us all smile with a bit of pride and envy as we get these hunt stories. :wink:
Nice job, keep it up.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com