• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

2016 rifle season

Started by bigben, December 08, 2016, 02:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

this rifle season has been a pretty memorable one for me. Archery was kind of a let down with spending the whole last week in the woods and not seeing any legal bucks show. Lots of nonlegals but no legals.

So the first day my girlfriend Andrea was along woth me toting a mannlicher stocked .243 mauser and i had my trusty 25-06 sweet pea. We had walked up a. Ery steep section of mountain that i picked the day before. Two heavily used trails came up on both sides of us and joined directly above us. Before sunrise a single doe showed but only bucks were in season. Not much shooting the first few hours. But it was great spending time with her.

Around 9 a smaller doe ran below us on the one mtn road. I watched it through binos and once it was outta sight andrea said deer deer deer. I said no that was the doe. She said no deer right there. I look over my right shoulder and sure nuff a small buck was standing 40 yds away. I looked at him through my binos and he was legal. 3pts on one side. I told her get ready it was a legal buck. She told me she couldnt make the shot and i should take it. I wanted her to shoot him badly because he was cooperating pretty well but was working his way up the mtn.

I worked around and got the gun up and asked one more time are you sure. She said shoot him. So i settled behind his front shoulder and touched it off. He wheeled quickly down the mtn and i could see blood on his offside shoulder. About then his front legs collapsed and he rolled 50 yds down the mtn thrashing the whole way. When everything was quiet i turned to her and she said is he dead. I told her yea i was pretty sure.

We made our way down and sure nuff he was dead. A nice little mtn buck with 6 points. But the one brow broke off so he was now officialy a 5point.

Done and out of the mtn by 9:30 she had to work at lunch. I skinned and cleaned him up he is the smallest buck i ever killed but one of the most memorable ones since she was along.

This past sat doe opened up. She had to work sat morn so i was solo till lunch. No deer where seen all morning. I went home and waited for andrea. She showed up at 1 we ate a quick lunch and headed back to the woods. 2:00 was when we stepped foot in the woods. On the way in we jumped a doe bedded down tight in a hollow. We didnt get shooting but i figured it would be a slow afternoon. I was wrong.

2:15 two doe showed up. One was a big mom doe that i had watched all season. She had one of her young with her and andrea asked if i was going to shoot it. Not wanting to miss the opportunity on a mature doe i decided to take the shot. I got situated settled the crosshairs on her and one shot dropped her in her tracks.

I quickly got her back to the house skinned her and cleaned her up and got back to andrea by 3:30. My father set with her till i got back. They had seen a group run through shortly before i got back but no horns were seen. The next deer to show was prob the biggest buck i have ever had in front of me. I was tagged out armed only with binos. I stopped him twice for her and he presented no shots. We watched as he hurridly moved through the hollow.

We seen a few more deer and a wide 4 point but that was it.

The skinned out doe was fatty. Not like the buck that was still rutting

Us on top of the mtn moments before i shot our buck.

We did get out hunting last night. Lots of doe. No bucks. Im hoping an all day sit will provide a buck for her. Its supposed to be windy and cold sat so we'"" see how it goes. I have a good feeling about sat.

Thanks for reading
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

HaMeR

Glad you got to hunt together Ben!! I'm certain that was a lotta fun for you both!! Best of luck this weekend too!!

Nice doe you got there!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

Good Luck to you two, Ben.  Hope your remaining season is a successful one.

Dave

Hawks Feather

Always nice to have your girlfriend willing to go out hunting with you and then you get a nice buck as well.  Good work.

Jerry

nastygunz

Hang on to a gal that will go hunting and fishing with you!  :wink:

Carolina Coyote

Yes Sir nice to have the girl friend along, Congratulations on your harvest. cc  :highclap:

bigben

Thanks fella. She does fish as well and even tho she isnt really good at it she takes off her own fish as well.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: bigben on December 09, 2016, 11:40:36 AM
Thanks fella. She does fish as well and even tho she isnt really good at it she takes off her own fish as well.

Now if you can only get her to take your fish off, clean them, and cook them for you, you will have a real keeper.     :biggrin:

Jerry

Coulter

Meat in the freezer...Congrats Ben. And it took me a long time to get my wife to finally take her own fish off the hook. Now she does it no problem, and she even baits the hooks herself finally. Enjoy the time afield :highclap:

Steve

bigben

Hunted the morning till 9:30. 4 doe came past us in a hurry but nothing else. We sucame to the cold and decided breakfast was in order so we headed back to the house and went to the local diner. After breakfast and some time getting warm we butchered the doe i shot the previous sat and then i did some work on my ar15 while she napped a bit. We were back out at 2 and by 4:15 we hadnt seen anything. It was numb out and she asked if we could call it quits. So we did. It was a very memorable hunt and she has a personal vendetta against squirrels now so i figure we will be going after them soon. Maybe a predator hunt or two as well.

FinsnFur

Missed this one. Thats a nice bodied deer. Nice job guys.

Quote from: bigben on December 09, 2016, 11:40:36 AM
Isnt good at it?? Compared to you probably not. Thats not fair comparison lol
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

Sorry i should have placed some punctuation in there. She isnt relly good at taking fish off the hook. She outfished me both times we went out. She caught two dozen plus bream first time while i was flippin jigs for bass. The second time i was runnin spinnerbaits for bass in the fall. She caught a doz or so more bream that trip.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com