• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

How long before re-trying spot after busted?

Started by jerryrigged, December 19, 2016, 07:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrigged

2nd time in elevated box blind at field edge against wooded swamp, had pair coming in at a run toward call/decoy. Felt had to shoot before they reached my scent cone, shot through vines in front of blind, either was deflected or just plain missed! How long to wait before using that spot & setup again?

centerfire_223

I may be a little different than most on this, but I don't have any problem going back the next day. If they didn't ever get your wind, all they know is something loud spooked them. They wouldn't know if it was human or not. I would definitely use a different sound and be patient. Cause this time they will most likely come in stealthy.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Okanagan

I've been thinking about your good query but our coyote hunting in the far west is so different that my comments are lightweight.  I'd wait as long as I could and like centerfire said, use a totally different sound.  Another wrinkle would be to post another hunter well downwind and to one side of wind to ambush wary coyotes as they sneak up on the sound a second time.  If you have a remote electronic call, that could be you.  Also, place the electronic call in a different spot than last time. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

And welcome aboard.  This site is friendly, less argumentative and judgmental than most, and the members carry a lot of knowledge and experience if you can draw it out.

jerryrigged

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I like cf223 & Ok's ideas as well. And to lend a hand to Ok if you don't have a partner to set closer to where they came from then I would setup closer to where they came from myself. Depending on terrain & such it would be about 100yds closer.

BTW-- If you weren't there the very next day or 2 they may have moved to another part of their territory. Like Ronnie said you gotta get there quick.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

I will call the same spot on consecutive days as coyotes move and I can get the same ones or new ones to come in.  [L] just being out there is a win.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Quote from: centerfire_223 on December 20, 2016, 04:33:15 AM
I may be a little different than most on this, but I don't have any problem going back the next day. If they didn't ever get your wind, all they know is something loud spooked them. They wouldn't know if it was human or not. I would definitely use a different sound and be patient. Cause this time they will most likely come in stealthy.

+1

I've called the same spot 4 days in a row (but at different times of the day) and killed on the 4th day.   My $.02