• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Are Predator Call Underpriced

Started by THO Game Calls, July 09, 2007, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are Custom  Predator Calls Underpriced Compared to Other Game Calls?

Yes
23 (67.6%)
No
8 (23.5%)
I Use an E Caller
0 (0%)
You're a Trouble Maker
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: July 14, 2007, 04:46:20 PM

keekee

I haft to lean to the sound side myself. I know now more calls are bought from looks than anything. For me sound came first! You can take a look back on the old PM days and tell that. I stuck with the same design and spent more time on the sound design than the looks. After I got what I was looking for I started working on the looks, and even now I am still working on them. Even the different type of woods or materials will change the sound and if not adjusted then you just have a pretty call, and that's not what I am after as a builder. I'm after calls that will call and kill critters! But you haft to have a good mixture of the two. I still leave the steps in the bore of my Original series, I have tried sanding them out but it changes the sound, I would rather give up the look of a smooth bore than give up the sound.

I have close to 400 custom calls now in my collection and listing a top 10 would be tough. And it will vary greatly with each user. That's another aspect of this that has been left out. If I build a custom call for someone, I make sure I get there input on how they want there sound. And that's hard to do sometimes. How they blow the call is different, the way they hold the call is different. Everyone uses a call different.

So are custom calls over priced? Some are and some are not. Doing some back ground on the builder, even talking to them on the phone will tell you allot about there product. How long they have been building, and looking at there past pictures along with there present pictures will also help you decide.

I think this has to be a individual thing as far as price. In general is just not fair to all builders.

Looking at all of them, I still cant answer the question with out saying some calls are under priced and some are over priced.

But I can say this dead critters mean allot.

Brent

vvarmitr

FOsteology

Gentleman, thank you for the warm welcome. I've been lurking in the shadows for a few months. Took me awhile to figure out where everyone with experience went!

Interested to see if anyone is going to take a crack at my inquiry....  :wink: 

Pilgrim

Greenside

Crit'r Call ,Burnham Bro, Circe,Flextone, Sceery,Woods Wise,Zepp, Modern Call, Tally-Ho, Thompson and soon to be added,  Reese   :whew:

THO Game Calls

Wise guy   :laf:

I'll take a stab at a short list  - and in no order

All the call makers on FnF.

That's my list  - and I think that as a board, we are proud of the work that they all do.

We have some new guys just learning, some old guys who think they know it all, and some guys who are in the middle. 

But this group is like it used to be way back when before Will Craigs Dream became a Not For Anyone's Proffit but Mine Becasue I'm the MAN Board.

After all is said and done, it's about calling coyotes and having fun.   If that's not enough for you, pay your 75 bucks and go join the fray.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
The Custom Call Makers Supply Store

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

bowjunkie

Well said Al I couldn't have said it better myself  :bowingsmilie:

CypressSlough

www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

keekee

FinsnFur

:roflmao: :laugh2:

what  :shrug: I didnt say anything   :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bearmanric

i cant sell my eye candy. antler  i can. i'v been thinking of not selling wood call's any more. i've put some good stuff on lately cant even get 30.00. if it was eye candy i would get it. i've been fishing for 3 day's just thinking were i'm going and is it worth spending the money.i work freaking hard on my call's making and tuning them. and i put over there and they sit. just suck's.  i'm selling elk call's as fast as i can make them. with my elk horn. i sold 6 last week in spotsman warehouse and now they want me to put brochure's in there strore and i was on the cowlitz River for three day's and sold 6. they heard me cow talk.  i just dont want to break my back on expensive wood's to get nothing  for a killer call. hope i said this right tired of fighting.  i dont thing i get what i should. NEED TO GO LAY IN BATHTUB AND TAKE A VICADEN. LEG'S HURT.Rick

ninthinning

Rick,
  Glad to here you are feeling better.  I think you should keep making wood calls,  just aim more for hunting season.  Keep making them and save them if they do not sell.  This time of year you have to have other out lets.  Sounds like the deal with Sportsman's Warehouse has real promise.  Took a page from your book and moved my shop outdoors.  Those warthog tusks smell like the dentist drilling a cavity.
9th
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Todd Rahm

Nah, Rick......... I wouldn't quit making your wooden calls. They are your signature call. As far as selling them, I have two theories, one is its the slow season for calls, and two is, you have been doing this for what....3-4 years now? Everyone on the boards has several of your calls that want one, and there aren't many newbies coming in. I guess what I mean buy that is your trying to sell to a market that has a lot of RR calls in it, but your not the only one.

Maybe when you get your web site up you'll target a larger market that can actually hit ya by googling "predator calls". You'de be amazed at how many calls I have purchased in the past month from call makers ya never see or will see on the boards.

Keep at it, it'll have its slow times.

FOsteology

Todd makes an excellent point Rick.

I sure as hell don't want you stop making wood calls. Where else would I get those kewl honey pots??!! :congrats:

rainshadow1

Way To Go, on the Sportsman's Warehouse gig, Big Rick! Could be a real good thing! You might get in with them nationwide if you play that one right.

Just gotta roll with the punches, put them on the shelf and keep going. Never stop moving forward.

carvercalls

Thats fantastic Rick... The warehouse :yoyo: Hope you are feeling better.... Kerry

Arkyyoter

Hang in there Rick.....season is coming soon, stuff will sell better, and you get to kill something  :wink: !!!

Joe

ninthinning

Some guys under-price their calls. 9th
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8