• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Turkey

Started by fuzz624, February 08, 2008, 10:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Quotepiss the lead hen off & have her come look at your decoy real close

Great tip Hammer !!
Alot of circumstances I've run into killed toms this way.  Talk a bit with that old girl, its funny to see em get
all bent out of shape  :eyebrownod: 

Man I'm all fired up about spring time now !!!  :yoyo:

HaMeR

Thanks Silencer. That's how I shot my 1st one last spring.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

fuzz624

So now i need a decoy. :doh2:  well i recon i could break down a buy one.Ok,lets hear some decoy suggestions.Where can i get a good one at a resonable price?

Fuzz

HaMeR

You don't NEED a decoy but I can see where it will help. Some folks kill em all the time without. Here's a link to good prices on almost every turkey decoy on the market. I use the Feather Flex $14.99 one.

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/decoys.asp?p=100

HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

A decoy is not necessary IMHO unless you plan to sit in a blind on the edge of a field and wait on the birds.  That is what I do on those rainy, nasty days.  When it is raining they seemed to like going to the fields.  Otherwise, when I'm in the woods,  I don't use decoys.

Semp

keekee

I am not big on owl or crow calls before daylight around here. Most of the time the birds will fire there self up just fine before first light. One reason is here every Tom, Dick, and Harry go out before season and call to these birds, it don't take long for them to get wise. I like to let them go about there normal thing then just slip in and set up on them. That has worked better for me over the years. I will use a crow call as the morning goes on to try and get one fired up, or If I am moving in on a bird and don't know for sure were he is, I will use the crow call to locate him so I don't get to close and bump him.

But most of the time, I am a run and gun turkey hunter. I use a mouth call and run the ridge tops. Stop and call, if no answer I move on.

I don't use many decoys either. Unless I am setting up on a field edge of some kind or I am calling to the camera and want that extra footage of them. Just more to Carry for me. A shotgun, a few mouth calls, and a bottle of water and let go!

Fuzz, you close enough to get out with me a morning or two if you want. I will have some free time if you want to go!

Brent

Silencer

Quoteyou close enough to get out with me a morning or two if you want. I will have some free time if you want to go!

I'd take him up on that offer  :yoyo:     :congrats:

KySongDog

Quote from: Silencer on February 12, 2008, 03:41:44 PM
Quoteyou close enough to get out with me a morning or two if you want. I will have some free time if you want to go!

I'd take him up on that offer  :yoyo:     :congrats:

Yep, that's a "no brainer" for sure!   :readthis:

fuzz624

Brent    I dont think i can take another hunt with you.Last time you tried to walk me to death.Im just jokeing.You name a time and place and ill be there. :bowingsmilie: I figured you would be booked up for the season.Just let me know anytime you want to hunt or fish and i am usually up for it.

Coulter

I couldn't agree with ya more on using the "locator calls" early in the AM. I might give a few soft tree yelps when I get to my spot, but I don't bust out the crow call or owl hooter until after 9 or so.

As far as dekes go...Yeah, I use them. But, no I don't rely on them a whole lot. The birds I have shot when using dekes paid little or no attention to them in the first place. I know they work at times, but I don't believe they are a requisite tool to harvesting a big tom. All they really are to me is a hindrance in the field...remember you have to carry the stupid things around with ya when relocationg or ridge running.

Steve

nastygunz

howdy fuzz, semp said it mostly, dont over call and dont move.......id like to suggest if your looking at calls and just starting out think about some of the very simple push pin type calls, the lonesome hen, the egg, the tom coffin, they work and are straight up simple to use, push the pin, thats it haha, also scratching or raking the ground or leaves to simulate turkeys feeding is a deadly technique to bring em in without even calling, i use it on the oak ridges mostly, just dont get busted scratching...ive been hunting turkeys quite a spell now, but the first bird/gobbler i ever got i didnt know anything but what i read in a book by bob hoffman i think, i scouted around, went before dark, sat on the edge of a plowed over cornfield and as it got light i pushed a push pin call every few minutes, honestly never thought id even see a turkey, well all of a sudden i hear a gobble way off, then see a black blob wayyyyy down the field, here comes a big tom walking, stopping, strutting, walking, i kept hitting the call, he came the whole way across the field, i waited till he was even with me in the field, pulled the gun up, he walked around the bush, bang, first turkey!...and ive been addicted ever since:)...heres a pic of my last one brought in with a mouth diaphragm call, good luck in your hunt: