• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What do you think?

Started by Bob D, November 01, 2006, 05:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

IraMd and I went out this morning before daybreak. Walked about 3/4 mile to the stand without lights without talking. A herd of cattle ran through our area and back to the east. Set up in a neck of woods looking at the open fields around us. We are both sitting on the ground backed up to large oak trees. I'm looking NW and Iramd is looking SE. Wind is 1 mph from the north. We sit for 20 minutes for day to break Start calling  with hand calls then switch to Foxpro. Cattle came back and look at the decoy then ease away to other parts of the pasture. Coyote from the east about 400 yards starts the busted bark raising hell. I give the male challenge call back to the coyote. Back and forth for 15 minutes then nothing. What was that all about? Anybody got an idea?
Bob

straycat

Maybe you were across territorial lines he wouldnt cross?Also maybe this years pup and you sounded like a mature coyote and he did'nt want his butt whooped?Just a couple thoughts.
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Bob D

Those are both good points. The question I have is how did he bust us. No one was moving, the wind was blowing in another direction and he didn't see us coming in. :confused:

FinsnFur

It's possible you may have spooked him ahead of you as you went in.

But it's sounds like a territory issue to me also. I've watched those situations with frustration many times.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

The wind stayed a constant 1 mph out of the north?

We get alot of swirling and shifting winds here in the hills...........just wondering. 

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

keekee

Sounds like he new you were there. We run into that here all the time, after this happened to us several times we started waiting before heading into these areas. We let the coyotes leave the fields then go in and set up and pull them back to the edges.

Brent

CCP

Made out a long reply the other night and battery went dead on laptop.

I will agree with Jim and Brent on this one. Good chance you pushed the coyote out of the field going in. I have ran into this same situation in the past around fields and cattle. They mostly run the fields and edges in the early hours and could have been doing this when you came in.

I try to always hunt 30min or later after day light. Lets the coyote get back to his thicket then call him back out. He just came from the field,paster and fells somewhat safe to charge back in.

Iam hunting a cattle area this AM and Iam waiting for light plus 20 before I leave the house. Have I killed coyotes going in early in the past ? YES but not as consistently as waiting after light.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Bob D

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate everyones thoughts on this. It's nice to be able to ask questions and learn from the experience of someone else. We have some hunters here who know what they are talking about and that helps everyone on this forum. Guess I was seen when I couldn't see. I will try Rich's method of waiting till daylight  next and see how I do.
Bob

FinsnFur

Heck, JD proves that theory works every time he goes out. He dont get up early...he can't! He's up all night taking breaks.
Bout 11:30 he rolls out and hits the timber.  :eyebrownod:
Right JD?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

keekee

I do make him get up by at least 7:30 or 8:00.......... :rolleye:

Brent

canine

Hugh Huuh!! :readthis:

Notice the time of this post fellas?? And I've been up for at least an hour now..Gotta 5 year old drivin me nuts about skinnin the deer. The little twirp was up at 6AM ready to skin :rolleye:

Bob, i have to agree with these guy's as much as it kills me :wink::laf:

JD

FinsnFur

Looks like we've been hacked  :rolleye: Somehow JD has managed to manipulate the posting times on the board.  :iroll:

G'morning JD
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

canine

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Now you see the time?? and where are you? In bed? Old people :shrug: :rolleye:

Didn't even say goodnight :huh: