• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

8 deer in 48hrs

Started by Jrbhunter, December 04, 2006, 10:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrbhunter

(November 19th)
I spent the afternoon scouting a farm that I hope to hunt in the next couple days. With about an hour of daylight left I slipped down to another farm, 30 miles south, and snuck into the edge of a field. As darkness started to fall on the field I saw a few deer come out of the brush at 250 yards. They worked their way toward me slowly. I waited to see if there was a buck following them, as some does are in heat, but nothing showed up. With only a few moments of daylight left I picked out one of the deer at 85 yards and let the smoke roll! My victim was unfortunately a button buck, I would've rather had a doe but such is life.

(November 20th)

I hunted a little farm this evening that has a big deer infestation problem. I've hunted this place for years and the population seems to stay strong dispite my culling efforts. Last year I saw 34 deer in one day from a stand, the next day I saw 35!! This place is covered up!
I got in the stand at 2 o'clock this afternoon and took a little nap. When I woke up at 4 there were six deer in the field grazing and playing around. All does, they were standing on their hind feet fighting and frollicking around.

I took out my new rangefinder and clicked off some yardages. I wanted a 200 yard shot but while they were at that distance the brush between us was too thick for a safe shot. As they milled around I got a clear opening at the largest doe at 156 yards. I let the muzzleloader roar, she did a death sprint to the end of the field and collapsed.

The other deer didn't know what to do. Some went back to grazing but two came sneaking in my direction. I reloaded and stopped the larger doe at 66 yards (Range finders are so cool). I squeezed off another round and she was DRT!

The yearling with her, a button buck, ran off into another field and stopped within sight. I reloaded and shot him with the rangefinder. 128 yards, well within range and quartering to me. I touched off the smokepole again, BANG FLOP! Three deer down.

Out of powder I got down from my tree and started gathering my bounty. After stacking up my deer and gear I walked out to the truck. 20 yards from the truck there were two does grazing, but I'm without a gun so I proceed and run them off. After gutting and loading the first deer I came back through and saw the deer in the same spot. I got the other two loaded and prepared to leave but thought "Hmmm wonder if I could get another".

I dug out some powder and bullets from the truck and loaded myself another round. I approached the field from a different angle such that I would be in range and across wind when I could see the field. Sure enough there was a doe at 60 yards. Kabooooom my 4th deer in 30 minutes!

I had a hard time loading all the deer by myself because I tore something up in my back yesterday loading button buck alone. This season has started off pretty bad on the buck end of things but I'm having no problems finding does and yearlings to target practice on!

(November 21st)

The smoke was rolling again this evening!

I setup on the edge of a secluded hayfield around 3 o'clock. I didn't see anything until 5:00 as three does entered the field. I waited a few minutes to see if they had any bucks following them then took aim at the biggest one.

113 yards on the range finder, I touched one off and the 130 pound doe crashed to the ground. The deer cleared the field but one stopped where I could still see her in the woods. I reloaded, checked the range finder- 133 yards- took aim and put her down too.

With two deer down I postponed my dinner plans via text message and gathered my things. At that point I saw another doe in a woodlot to my left, she was facing me at 74 yards. I tried to get fancy on this one, feeling pretty confident in the muzzleloader, and took aim at the end of her nose. My bullet fell a little low and hit her in the base of the neck, killing her instantly.

Three more does came home with me tonight... that makes 8 in 48 hours from the various farms I hunt. Tomorrow morning I'm taking my niece out to try and bag a nice buck I've been watching in the area. He'd make a great trophy for her so I hope we connect. If not, we can always shoot a doe or four! LOL!

Hawks Feather

Jrbhunter,

What state are you hunting that you can shoot that many deer?  Ohio has a max of three (nice shirt by the way) assuming you buy three licenses.  One deer per license tag.  Great shooting.  I am assuming that you are using one of the newer (in-line or similar) muzzle loader.

Jerry

Jrbhunter

I'm hunting Indiana, under our new regulations I can take almost 400 deer a year.  I have hunted every day that season has been in and assisted in the harvest of around 55 whitetails this year.

I shoot a Knight Wolverine II, it is extremely accurate and has killed a ton of deer in recent years.  I passed up a shot on Sunday because of wind... would've been my longest poke ever at 258 yards.  I have killed several at 200+.

Jrbhunter

Oh and my girlfriend dresses me... I cannot be held accountable for that.   :biggrin:

She's from Ohio.

FinsnFur

wtf!  :laf: better stop and pick up another belt for the meat grinder. Wow
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

fuzz624

Looks like your girlfriend has good taste in clothing and football teams.Nice bunch ov vinison you got there.You should have enough to last a while.

ohiobob

DAMN
im glad Ohio doesn't have a bag limit like that,,congaradulations,,i think?
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???