• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Apple pie for Punjabi neighbour revisited

Started by Okanagan, December 11, 2018, 08:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

We are moving.  I offered some un-opened food to Amrit, my Punjabi neighbor.  He is the fellow I posted about a couple of years ago when we met over the fence by our backyard apple tree.  On a whim I had baked an apple pie for him because he had heard of apple pie but never eaten one. 

When I gave him the food two days ago, he reciprocated.  He knocked on my door and invited me to go with him and a hulking Punjabi man at his side.  We walked to a house half a block away and joined five other Punjabi men sitting around a small table in a garage beside a propane burner with a large stainless steel pot on it.  Three of them spoke no English.

I am apparently famous as the man who made an apple pie for Amrit.  He told everyone where he works and all of his extended family and friends.  Everyone in this circle was related:  brothers, cousins, brothers-in-law, etc.  Amrit's father was the cook.  They own three houses and live within a 50 yard radius of a residential street corner.  The men of the extended family gather this way once a week to eat, shoot the breeze, and some sip a bit of whiskey.

The spicy meat “stew” was fabulous.  I asked what they call the concoction and they said, “Goat.”  It is small chunks of goat meat slow cooked in a green spicy hearty broth.  With hot baked flat bread chapattis it is superb.  They invited me back.  Wish I had hooked up with them awhile back, before I am on the verge of moving away.

I'm going to give Amrit some whitetail chunks I've frozen awaiting a time to grind them into hamburger.  Whitetail should make a good "goat" stew...

Hawks Feather

Nice of them to invite you to their gathering.  Sounds like a good time.  I can't think of a time that I have eaten goat, but if it is meat it can't be too bad.

I suppose that you are moving someplace nice like inner-city Seattle so you will be closer to all the things that I think you would not like.   :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

remrogers

Okanagan

We ate goat a few times when I was growing up.  Similar to venison in  my memory.  And I've eaten Rocky Mountain goats several times.  The wild mountain goats have all been superb flavor and the most consistently tough meat I've encountered.  We gave up on making anything but stew cubes out of a huge old billy I tagged, and my wife makes a wonderful stew in a slow cooker.

We are moving down across the line to live near my two boys and eight of our ten grandkids, in a place called Sequim, about 60 miles west of Seattle.  My wife had a bad fall awhile back and my sons said, "Dad, why don't you move near us so that if anything happens to either of you, it will be easier for us to take care of you."  Of all the things a son could say, that is pretty good, and at least living in the same country makes it easier on them when we/I kick the bucket.  It is time.

It is hard to give up four months of deer season, over the counter moose, elk, bear, caribou, 3 kinds of sheep, Rocky Mountain goats, lynx, fabulous fishing for trout and salmon etc. etc. but I am getting too aged to hunt most of those well, and being near Code and the other grand-kids is a fabulous trade-off.

nastygunz

I ate quite a bit of goat on my middle eastern tour, I thought it was pretty dang good.

FinsnFur

I think I ate goat once. Ordered a Gyro at the Country Music festival from a run down food stand that did their cooking inside a van that was idling just outside the Food stand itself. :whew: :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

:alscalls: :alscalls:👍👍

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 12, 2018, 09:05:31 PM
I think I ate goat once. Ordered a Gyro at the Country Music festival from a run down food stand that did their cooking inside a van that was idling just outside the Food stand itself. :whew: :doh2:

Hawks Feather

Well, if we are telling goat stories. We had a 'less than desirable' bar that a couple of times a month would have 'tender young (small) goat' that they would fix.  While I never went there, stories always were told about how the goats got smaller as time went on.  There were also stories that large dogs were being 'rescued' from the Ft. Wayne area at a higher than normal amount about the same time as the goat roasts.  Yep, the health department shut them down for selling dog and calling it goat.  {Hey they have about the same number of letters in their name.}  They reopened and had a new delicacy that was called (and actually was) raccoon.

Jerry

Hawks Feather

Becky and I were pretty close to Sequim a few years back. We left the brother/sister-in-law's place in Anacortes, south to Tacoma, and then headed north to 101 and followed it south till it became 1 and continued on.

Jerry

HaMeR

Great story Ok!! I too am glad you're moving closer to the kids. Says a lot about how they were raised by letting you know it's time to come back South & be close to them. This is a decision that will not be regretted. Diane & I wish you & Mrs Ok all the very best in this next chapter of your lives!!

Plus I understand how all of a sudden the urge to hunt the best areas becomes squashed by the reality that its getting too hard to actually hunt them. After 27yrs of roofing I feel the aches & pains myself. 
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

As a lifetime Canuck it makes me sad to see ya go, but one does what one deems appropriate at the time.   Always enjoyed your posts that showed terrain I like to look at but never wanted to put the work into hunting for myself.  Good luck down South with the family and if you ever wanna go on a grueling gopher hunt give me a call.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

pitw, thank you.  For good or for bad, you know that I'll be replaced in Canada by Punjabi's...  :huh:  :wo:

Okanagan

All of the stories about goat/dog almost put me off my appetite!

I am back in Canada closing out the last stuff for the house.  As soon as I got here Amrit brought over a bowl of hot whitetail green goat stew, and some hot flat bread chapattis a few minutes later.  Zowie, they put a lot hotter spice in the whitetail than they did the goat last week!

We don't have internet yet on the Sequim end of things, so I will likely be sporadic for awhile.  I have an old laptop and can wander down to a latte shop with internet connection some morning. 

What is the correct pronunciation for Sequim?

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 16, 2018, 09:29:23 PM
Like this...
..."Sequim" :biggrin:

Very good!  You got it.  :highclap:

Sequim is pronounced "skwim".  :wo: It lets people know who is local and who isn't.