• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

LBL Strategy

Started by KySongDog, August 28, 2009, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

In the past, hunting the thick stuff seems to work best at LBL.  Now that the ice storm has trashed the West KY woods, everywhere you go is thick it seems.  Lots of undergrowth where there used to be none.  The woods at my farm used to be fairly clean. Now it is a jungle.

So I was wondering how this change in environment will affect the hunting/travel patterns of the coyotes at LBL?  Will they stick to their old drainages and territories?  Or because there is new cover in the woods will they expand their movements? 

I know the easy answer is to do lots of scouting but some guys will only have a few days to make a go of it.  Will the LBL maps really help that much now? 

What do y'all think?   :wo:

weedwalker

I think Jimmy needs to make us a NEW map. :biggrin:
From the sound of it, I'll probably be using the shotgun instead of the rifle this year.

LBLDOG

I think it will change it for sure , lots of new cover for all the things on there food chain to hide  under like the limbs and brush .: I also think it will produce some territory for MR. & MS. Bobcat also ! I think you will still be able to use a rifle you might have to be a little choosier on spots !  I was over their last Monday morning !!

Jimmie in Ky

Think of it from the coyote's stand point. What he hunts has more cover than ever before in his lifetime. He hasn't seen thi either. He has to learen new strategies to fill his belly as well. It being tougher to find protien the plant sources and other odds and endswill be more utilized. On th eup side this is producing more small rodents types than ever before. More food for the rodents as well ,so populations will be up.

As far as travel patterns go they will not change. The coyote travels by the terrain features and uses them for bedding areas as well. Because oif the trash, folks may not get as far out as they once did, and unless they pack a chain saw they won't be using the closed roads or secondary roads, anymore .

Pups are alread dying to get to the bunnies that are showing up in the timber. Jimmie

5 SHOTS

IF I should make it this year.....My strategy will be to find a local hunter and follow them around.  :biggrin:

Sorry I couldn't resist.  :doh2: I'll get out of the way now.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Mallardsr

IF the extra cover produces extra rodents which produces extra pups, dont sound like the coyotes will be traveling much, soooo if you have a copy of Jimmys map just hunt on top of their home areas marked on the map! Quite simple actually! :biggrin:

Bopeye

...  Was gonna comment, but I thought you guys would think it's so dayum stupid that you might make fun of me. Gotta go crap again. Cya.  :nono:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free