• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Some LBL pics and info

Started by KySongDog, September 07, 2009, 08:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I ran by the LBL today to scout around some.  Here are some pics.

This was a clear logging road last year.

Lots and lots of these piles everywhere on the cleared roads.

Typical stuff

I stopped at the one of the LBL stations and bought a hunting permit.  The very first thing the lady said was "Kill any hog you see."  I said "Oh, I heard there were some hogs illegally released at the LBL."    She said "They are getting thick.  Bring any you kill in so we can get a blood sample."   I said I was primarily going to hunt coyotes. And then she said "Kill them too. They are everywhere. "    I liked that lady a lot.   :biggrin:

I also stopped by the Wranglers Campground and talked to the lady who runs the restaurant.   She said she would have the restaurant open for us in February.  She needed to know how many hunters and what meals we wanted (breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner)   I told her Jimmy would probably be by closer to the hunt with that info.  She knows Jimmy.

Frogman

Semp,

Thanks for all the pictures.  Looks pretty bad over there.  I'm still looking forward to it and seeing all you guys again!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Yep, in the northern part of LBL the open stuff got thick and the thick stuff got lots thicker!    :eyebrownod:

pitw

Quote from: Semp on September 07, 2009, 08:54:47 PM

Lots and lots of these piles everywhere on the cleared roads.

Typical stuff

You guys hunt in there?
I say what I think not think what I say.

Frogman

Oh, yeah, looks more like WV to me now!?!?

But it sure was beautiful before that storm!!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Boy that does look a mess.
Semp did you see anything positive while you was walking around in there? .....poop, fur, tracks?

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jeb

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 07, 2009, 09:32:37 PM
Boy that does look a mess.
Semp did you see anything positive while you was walking around in there? .....poop, fur, tracks?

LOL, he was too busy picking up the quarters !  :roflmao: :roflmao: :laf: :laf:

KySongDog

Quarters!   :roflmao:   Hey Jeb, in Kaintuckee we don't have the same species of coyote like Frogman does.   :nono:

Jim, I found a few tracks and some old scat but nothing really fresh.  The ground was pretty solid even after the rain we had.   I had my wife with me so I didn't get very deep in the jungle woods.  With all of the undergrowth, I kept having visions of seed ticks everywhere.   :laf:

We saw six turkey and three deer, one of which was a huge doe.  Made our day a nice one.   :laf:

Jimmie in Ky

Pitw, Imagine pics 4 and 5 without those lay downs and you have what I typically hunt in most of the time. And I have been huntign up thre on a regular basis since 02.  My best year in there I called 35 and got a dozen of them. Critters called in per stand ratio was real good but the kill numbers really sucked when compaired to what can be done out in hte neighboring farm comunities. I have very few trips up there that I don't put a dog in front of somebody. Getting it killed is another story. In this place yoiu are definately there for the sport  and thrill of the hunt . :biggrin:  

Semp, I can tell you didn't get to far off the beaten track. It looks like most of those pics were shot from the trace. You should have gone down by the nature center and seen some real wood piles if they haven't hauled them to the mill yet. Jimmie

KySongDog

None of those pics came from the trace, Jimmy.   Those were from 1xx roads in areas 1 and 3.  I also checked out my old stomping grounds in area 10.  They finally fixed the bridge.

edited to add:  Some of the 3xx roads have been graded and looked passable but I didn't want to chance it in my wife's SUV with no winch, chains, shovel, or hi lift jack with me.

pitw

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on September 08, 2009, 12:43:05 AM
Pitw, Imagine pics 4 and 5 without those lay downs and you have what I typically hunt in most of the time. And I have been huntign up thre on a regular basis since 02.  My best year in there I called 35 and got a dozen of them. Critters called in per stand ratio was real good but the kill numbers really sucked when compaired to what can be done out in hte neighboring farm comunities. I have very few trips up there that I don't put a dog in front of somebody. Getting it killed is another story. In this place yoiu are definately there for the sport  and thrill of the hunt . :biggrin:  

Man would hunting there be a learning experience for me.  I'd end up watching squirrels instead of coyotes :doh2:.  Thanks for explaining some of what you guys actually do to hunt critters.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

Looks like where I killed my last two......only the hills were steeper.... :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

Maybe passable now but give them a frost or two with some rain and we'll see then. I would be willing to bet 305 and 308 still have ponds you could raise fish in .

Pit ,I have to drive an hour or so to see more open gently rolling terrain. In fact Hopkinsville and Fredonia are almost 2 hours from here. Very few hundred acre fields around here. Jimmie