• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Squirrel Weapons

Started by vvarmitr, September 06, 2007, 11:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

What's your weapon of choice for squirrels?  I've used 22lr pistols/rifles & shotguns.  Mostly I use a shotgun cause it is early season that I hunt squirrels & the leaves aren't off enough to shoot well w/ a 22lr. Plus I have a hard time sending a bullet through a squirrels head & off to parts unknown. Urban sprawl is all around here, why you would think it was SanAntonio. :pout:
I've been in gun shops where this has become a heated debate. :madd:  :argh:  :mad2:  :mad3:
So let's get a turd stirring, key kicking, typo tandem discussion going. Whatasay? :eyebrow:

awh

First of the season Lil-man uses his shotguns, me the .22 rifle

As the leaves start to fall lil-man takes over the .22 and I take the .22 pistol, .17HMR, or 22 mag. Now you are prob saying to your self that the 17 and mag are too much. But I like to keep the guns going through cycles so none fell left out.  :biggrin:
And tis only head shots unless the pistol is off & I like seeing how far away I can tack one to a tree w/ the  17 & mag. Plus, we see alot of yotes during tree rat season and it never hurts to have the ultimate coyote rifle along in the 17 HMR (Sense we are flipping a turd I thought i would throw that one in there  :roflmao:)
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

bushmaster

I'm in awh's corner on this one.  Although, I have been known to use the AR when they're on the corn pile.  I consider it an instant chaff setup.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

bigben

410 bolt action shotugn.  wanna teach a youngster to pick and chose his shots give him the shells needed for to take one shot a squirell for the limit.  he will either shoot three shells at each and quickly run out thus ending his fun.  or he will wait and make sure he has a good and clean shot and take his limit. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Quote from: vvarmitr on September 06, 2007, 11:29:10 AM

Urban sprawl is all around here, why you would think it was SanAntonio. :pout:

Now thats cityfied  :biggrin:

22lr semi auto here.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cb223

My son uses a 10/22 and I use my 17HMR. We do have to be a little careful when there up a tree. Just wait for the shot with a tree in the back ground.

For small varmints I love the HMR!
CHAD

Hawks Feather

I normally take one of the .22LRs out - usually a single shot, but sometimes a bolt gun with more than one chance.

Jerry

coyotehunter_1

We have fox and grey squirrels here, good eating. 

I usually reach for my trusty 20 gauge pump, Ithaca model 37 featherweight. 

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

awh

Chet, had several of those through the years. Does yours beat your shoulder to death like the ones I use to have did? (Mine were 12g's and would lay a hurt-n on ya quick)
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

bowslinger

my bow mostly some times my 12ga or 22 mag

slagmaker

410 shotgun or the 22lr bolt or semi-auto maybe even the pistol depending on mood. I used to use the 22mag but after they started putting in housing additions I wasnt feeling comfortable with that. 410 is for when the leaves are on the trees and the 22's for after the leaves have had a started falling.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

coyotehunter_1

QuoteChet, had several of those through the years. Does yours beat your shoulder to death like the ones I use to have did? (Mine were 12g's and would lay a hurt-n on ya quick)

Danny,
Naw, the little 20 ain't bad at all. I used it for several years shooting skeet and trap. Now on the other hand, I've got a couple of Winchester pump 12's that will rock your world.  :biggrin:     
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

newbomb

daveInME

I have 3 savage 22's  a striker bolt action pistol a Mk 2 bolt action rifle  and M64 semi auto rifle.
I use one of them, they are all zeroed in at about 30 yards using CCI sub sonics, if I miss one in a tree, or go thru one
the sub sonic won't travel as far as a hi velocity round,  and it's a bit quieter when shooting.

Dave

Rainman

I usually use a scattergun (870 12 or 20 ga or Benelli Nova) early.  I just bought a Savage Mark II with the Accutrigger that shows promise. ;yes;

awh

That's the same .22 Cam has Rainman. Tack driver to boot  :eyebrow:

Rainman

Last time I shot, I shot a less than dime-sized group at 40 yds. prone with a bipod.  Used cheap Win. ammo to boot!  I'm happy so far.

awh

Yeap. Cameron shot his yesterday evening and is now ready to take the tree rat population down a notch or two. But I told him he can only shoot them in the head. Nickel to a bucket of crap says the turd out does me this year. He was shooting that lil 22 pretty darn good yesterday.

Drifter

Model 74 win iron sites . Or if too many leaves go other extreme and drag out the old savage single shot 36 in barrel 12 ga .

Drifter

Ladobe

Squirrels around here live in holes in the ground, not trees sadly.    Fun to shoot anyway and you don't have to worry about skylined shots.   Have a safe full of modern rifles and specialty pistols for predator and varmint hunting.   But about 4-5 years ago I went back to using traditional muzzle loaders for them.   Two of my favorites are a 36 Hawken and a 32 Cherokee.   The long brass 4X scope on the 36 and peeps on the 32 are for old eyes, but its surprizing how far they will reliably take predators and varmints.   Naturally you also have to dress period correct, leave the camo at home, and only use home made hand calls.    :wink:

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus