• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Wyatt vs The Snowshoe Hares

Started by Todd Rahm, March 27, 2010, 07:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rahm

Had a nice few days off last week and my buddy Bret who just had shoulder surgery was feeling couped up, called and said lets go see if we can find some rabbits. This worked out great as Wyatt was home due to an in-service day (Mom, your kids getting good grades). So we got every thing loaded up and in the truck. I had my 17 HMR and a .410 H&R (For Wyatt) and was carrying them out and the case to the H&R must not have been zipped all they way shut and it slipped out, and before I could do anything the butt stock it the floor in the garage, and sent a nice chunk of the stock flying. This kinda ticked me off just based on all the sentimental value this shotgun had, but no less my fault. (I'll fix it or replace when time allows.) So back into the house I go, and I get my old Iver Johnson slide action 22LR (This thing must be ancient, but Dad got for me to hunt coons when I was growing up in Indiana.) Wyatt hasn't much experience with this open sighted 22, but its his best option for this trip.

We pick up Bret and hit the road for about an hours drive north. We get there get geared up, snowshoes on and away we go (Wyatt's first ever trip with snowshoes on). I bet we only went in a couple of miles, but it sure felt like a bunch of work for me and Bret. My 250lb snowshoes must have thought I weighed 300lbs, because in most places it was about a 24 inch trail busting good time. In the mean time my 74lb son doesn't even seem to be scratching the surface of the snow (wait until he grows a bit), but he was having fun.

Wyatt on the go.

Brett giving Wyatt some pointers and reminding him that ever so often he needs to check his back trail for rabbits on the retreat.

Stopping for snacks and water.

Dad and Wyatt.  :biggrin:

We saw about 7 rabbits but most were on the run. I got one, missed one and Wyatt parted the hair on one with the 17 HMR. I had took a face plant and was still cleaning snow from the 22 when they spotted one that ran about 15 yards and stopped. So we got Wyatt in place, set up for the shot. I told him to put the bullet right behind the rabbits beady lil eye. He sets it off, and I kid ya not I bet I seen at least an inch of hair part on that rabbits side. Heck I was stunned he was still sitting there and sitting so still. I was thinking maybe he already died form a heart attack or something, but that thought didn't last long before he was gone.

I got one with the 22 and Wyatt wanted the hero shot, so here it is. Wyatt said "Dang Dad you blew the back of his head out. Where was ya aiming?" I said "At his feet son."  :alscalls:  I really had too. I forgot this thing was sighted in to shoot Stingers a lil further and the first show was just a warning. SO I aimed at his chest for the second shot which made him just twitch his ears like he had just experienced a "Zinger". So while he sat at about 20 yards, I just aimed at his front feet as he stared me down.   :innocentwhistle: Wyatt 0 Rabbits 1, but we're going again this week off.

HaMeR

Thanks for sharing your great outdoor adventure with us Todd!! I had a blast!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

It appears that Wyatt really enjoys that type of weather.  How long will you have that snow on the ground and in that quanity?  Some of our mountain roads and passes are still closed but it won't be for long.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Todd Rahm

He does John. Snow in that area will probably be there until late May early June, it all just depends some years. There's a few spots in there where I stuck one foot through all the way to my crouch, and when I went down..............well lets just say getting out of snow that deep in snow shoes is nothing I'd ever want on video.  :biggrin:

I was thinking earlier today, as I have enjoyed your pictures. That we both live in beautiful places with both having their own perks so to speak. What I mean by that is, I see you pics and think heck lets move south when we retire. Then it hits me what I'll have to give up from up here to do that.  :wo:

HuntnCarve

Great post Todd!  Tell Wyatt not to despair.  He'll be out shooting Dad one of these days soon.  Enjoy your time together, cause he'll grow like a weed.  I got a photo of my son somewhere with his first rabbit at age twelve.  He's a grown man now.
So don't blink!  LOL!

Dave

pitw

Great day afield and thanks for taking us along.  :bowingsmilie:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Boyyyyy and I thought we got too much snow at times. :doh2:
Looks like Wyatt is eating this up too. :eyebrownod: Take full advantage of it :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Todd,

It sure looks like all of you had a good time and even the weather was decent - no blizzard.  I have trouble when I see rabbits/hares that are as big as this one.  We have the nice little cottontails around here and that thing would probably eat them.

Jerry

Yotehntr

:yoyo: Now that looks like fun! Great post Todd!  We've been walking around in t-shirts this week... what's all that white stuff?  :laf: 
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Silencer

awesome story and pictures, yall sure had a great time  :yoyo:   We have snowshoe hare around here but they only open the season for a few days right after Christmas  :shrug:

KySongDog

Great pics, Todd!  Thanks for posting those.   :yoyo:   

Looks like you and Wyatt had a great time.   :congrats:

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Todd Rahm

QuoteHe'll be out shooting Dad one of these days soon.  Enjoy your time together, cause he'll grow like a weed.

Thanks fellas, Dave this is exactly what I'm trying to do....the more the better.  :biggrin:

I think it was about 20 degrees when we started out that day and it might have warmed up to maybe 25 by time we left. Nothing will warm ya quicker then snowshoeing, thats for sure.

iahntr

Excellent Day.  :yoyo: :highclap:
Thanks for sharin it with us.
Scott

Todd Rahm

Well Wyatt finally scored one a few weeks back. He had another Friday off and we hit the trail. We saw probably about 5 rabbits and came home with 2, Wyatts and one for me.  :biggrin:

The lil feller put somewhere between 5-7 miles on his snow shoes, got one rabbit, did some target practice and had a great day.

The rabbit he got stopped about 25 yards out and Wyatt steadied the ole Winchester with his ski poles, got the scope where he wanted it and pulled the trigger. Not sure if it was where he was aiming, but he broke the spine.  :shrug: He fetched it and we were on our way.

We stopped on the way out for some target practice, and that lil sucker Wyatt can shoot. We started off just plinking around, him with the scope and me with the open sights. I thought I would show off a lil and I picked out a 3' spruce tree about 30 yeards out and told him I was going to cut in half. I shot and the top fell over like planned.  :biggrin: My smart arse kid says "So, I can do that too Dad".  :doh2: Not only could he do it, he did it about 5 times before he missed one.  :nono:

pitw

Right on Wyatt :yoyo:.  Good looking hossnfeffer.  He can sure go further than me on snow shoes :wi.nk:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Yotehntr

:yoyo: Way to go Wyatt!  :yoyo:  I know you have to be proud Todd!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Todd Rahm

Yeah, he had in instant glow on and I couldn't wipe the smile of his face for two days.  :biggrin:

He was off on the other side of this hill I was on and I opened up on one rabbit which turned into several. Well I was winding myself chasing him from brush pile to brush pile on snow shoes, and I couldn't hold the 22 still, so needless to say I shot a lil more then I needed to for ONE rabbit.  Wyatt and Bret catch up with me and Wyatt said "It sounded like a war zone over here" and then he looks around and says with a smirk on his face "Wheres all the rabbits you shot?"  :alscalls:

But it was a blast to spend the day with him.

iahntr

Scott

HaMeR

:alscalls: :alscalls:  That boy would fit right in @ the LBL!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Congratulations Wyatt & Todd. You have a good young man there Todd.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11