• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Morning Squirrel Hunt

Started by KySongDog, August 16, 2009, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Squirrel season came in yesterday in Kentucky so I thought I'd "get out of the recliner" and give it a go this morning.  

The woods was hot, sweaty, hot, skeeter infested, hot, and a disaster after that last ice storm.   :eyebrownod:   Very hard to move around without making noise.  I think coyote hunting in the LBL next February is going to be a real treat.   :nono:

Anyways, I guess I got lucky cause I found a few young dumb ones.

Did I mention it was hot and a GREAT morning to be out in the woods?   :yahoo:

Todd Rahm

Man thats one of the things I miss from the lower 48. I need 10 of our tree rats to equal one of those.  :iroll: Nice job Semp.

slagmaker

Good job semp. Like you said it may have been hot but at least you was out in the woods
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Wow, seems early, especially in the south where it is warmer longer.
But you did round up some vittles :yoyo:

Couple more minutes on the tailgate, turn em over, and your good to go.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Semp,

Good to see you getting out of the recliner.  Way to go!!  Looks like a nice mess of bushy tails!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

possumal

Fried squirrel, squirrel gravy, mashed potatoes, creamed peas, and biscuits!  Man, that brings back memories.  My mom could sure do a number on squirrel or rabbit.  Glad you had a good morning.   :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

KySongDog

Now you got me hungry, Al!   Rabbit is my favorite but squirrel runs a real close second.   :yoyo:

pitw

:corn:

Details of the hunt Semp.  That is great that you lost your recliner for awhile this am. :highclap:  I couldn't imagine a squirrel hunt for food :sad:  Ours are tiny compared to them and hard to find in these parts.  
I say what I think not think what I say.

Tikaani

Todd, I was going to say the same thing.  Those are big squirrels.  Good that you had a nice day in the woods Semp.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

KySongDog

Those are actually average to small squirrels.  I've seen fox squirrels the size of alley cats (almost  :biggrin: ) Some can get over 2 pounds.   

Pitw - as far as details of the hunt. Nothing really to tell.  I got out of the truck about daylight and then stumbled around in the jungle (woods).  It took me about 45-60 minutes to find where they were at then I killed a double, triple and then a single.  Six is the limit in KY so I was headed back to the truck after about an hour and a half.
I used a 12 ga. and 3-1-6 shells.  (Thats NOT 316 shells either.  I know what your thinkin'.   :roflmao:  )

possumal

Glad to see Semp post that about the size of the squirrels.  Those are what I'd call average grey squirrels.  The Fox squirrels (Red Squirrels) are about twice the size of those greys.  Young fox squirrels give you a lot better table fare.  Some parts of the country have Fox squirrels that are supposedly a lot bigger than ours.  Anybody up on what part of the country that is?  Seems to me that it is some of our southern states.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HuntnCarve

Reminds me of my old college days.  The roomate and I would grab the .22's and head off to Tussey mountain.  In short order we would have our limits (six each).  We'd dress them out, section them, and toss them in a crockpot to slow cook all day (potato, onion, green pepper, seasoning).  The aroma would fill the hallway of the apartment.  Wasn't long before the neighbor gals would be checking out what was cooking. They were always hesitant about what we had on the stove?- After they got over the initial shock, they would dish themselves out a plate and join us. The supper time scenery improved greatly!

Hawks Feather

Semp,

It seems pretty early in the season.  Is it still HOT down that way?    :innocentwhistle:

At least you made it out and had some success.

Jerry

alscalls

Any warbles or ticks on em Semp?
AL

KySongDog

Al - I didn't see any ticks.  And no warbles.  If a squirrel (or any animal) doesn't look normal to me either before or after skinning it goes in the coyote food pantry.  Down here that is the nearest ditch.

Jerry - It has cooled off some. Only in the high 80's.   :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Semp on August 18, 2009, 09:51:23 AM

Jerry - It has cooled off some. Only in the high 80's.   :biggrin:

I was just giving you a hard time since (I think) you mentioned that it was HOT there.   :biggrin:   We had storms go through yesterday and last night that has dropped the temps to about 75 here (right now) but there is more than enough humidity.

Jerry

KySongDog

Quote from: Hawks Feather on August 18, 2009, 10:25:43 AM

I was just giving you a hard time since (I think) you mentioned that it was HOT there.   :biggrin:   

I know and have come to expect that (hard time) at FnF.   :eyebrownod:   It is about 84 right now but showers are on the way and I need to get busy mowing the yard before it hits. 

Silencer

QuoteSome parts of the country have Fox squirrels that are supposedly a lot bigger than ours

We have greys, reds, fox and flying type.  According to the PGC they fox are supposedly bigger :
QuoteLarger than grays, weighing nearly two pounds, they are slower, more sluggish and less vocal. They are about 21 inches in length, including a 10-inch tail.
compliments of the PGC website.

I've never ate them little red squirrels, seem too small so we dont shoot em,  but the grays and/or fox make some good table fare.     As far as I know the Flying squirrels are protected.  I wouldnt shoot them anyhow, they are so cool to watch. 

alscalls

What you folks call a red ....we call a ferry diddle......we call a fox squack....... a red....
They had a contest at a local outdoor store a few years ago largest squack won a shotgun.....
A kid won with a red(Fox) squack around 29" long I think ....counting the tail  :shck:
That thing was huge!!

As are many of them around here......
AL