• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hog and Stinkbugs!

Started by HuntnCarve, September 01, 2010, 05:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Silently cursing at the thermometer beside the deck door and its declaration of 99°F.  I proceeded to flick the stink bugs off the screen where they had gathered to plot a strategy on how to gain access to the house.  As my gaze followed their forced exodus, I inadvertently spotted a lumbering grey blob creeping towards HH1.  “Holy HaMer!” it was a hog!

My faithful Mossberg, within mere feet of me, was summoned to action.  Sliding the screen door open, a Kamikaze stink bug powered past my ear in a bold, but futile effort to storm the bastion.  He must have miscalculated the entry?   As he was rewarded with a slap and squish on the deck sill!  Meanwhile, in the melee of thwarting the SB’s onslaught, I lost sight of the hog?  Grinning at the ease at which the screen door slid shut behind me [Fixed it earlier that afternoon], I took up position at the deck rail.  Where was the hog?  I played a hunch, and figured he had ambled down into HH1.  Sure enough, after a minute of checking out the furnishings, he came top side.  The crosshairs seemed to lock themselves magically on his ear as he sat on his haunches quartering towards me.  At the crack of the CB, he just seemed to melt on the spot, slowly sinking into the front of the hole.
           Upon walking down there, I saw a sight relished by hog hunters.  A black tail protruding out of the burrow like a handle.  A precautionary tap on the ribs with a stick, indicated it was safe to use the aforementioned handle.  Just to be on the safe side, I backhanded him out of the burrow a few feet out of range of my shins.  It was all for not!  As my little CB friend had performed his job admirably! 

So as Summer draws to a close, I’ll mark down No.9 in the Honey Hole chronicles.  Until next time.  Good hunting to all!

D.

Todd Rahm

How far is that from your porch and how many of this lil pasture pigs ya figured have eliminated over the years?  :biggrin:

HuntnCarve

It's 25 yards on the nose to HH1.  We've been here at the house for 18 years.  The first Summer here, I shot 33 hogs off the deck (HH1, HH2, and decommissioned HH3).  Subsequent summers produced in the 20-29 range.  The last few summers have been in the high teens.  So to answer your question Todd?  Anywhere from 250 to 300+ :wo:

Todd Rahm

Holy pig-a-cide!!!!!!!!!! That must be a blast (No pun intended)!

Bopeye

That's too cool. I love your stories.  :highclap: :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

pitw

Another story worth keeping and a thank you is in order. so Thank You.  I'm thinking I need you up here at hog butchering time cause I've missed a four feet :doh2:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

:eyebrownod:  Gotta love them GOOD hogs Dave!! As usual you & the ol Mossberg have done well. It's supposed to be in the 60's sometime this weekend & hopefully we can get out a couple more times.  :biggrin:

Ya done good on that one.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

O.K. Dave you are having WAY to much fun and it seems, at least to me, that you need a better challenge.  I would suggest archery, but I know that wouldn't be much of a challenge for you.  How about a spear.  Now that might be a little bit of a challenge for you.    :biggrin:

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Jerry, could you see me poised at the edge of the hole, spear in hand like an Inuit waiting on a seal?  LOL!  No thanks!  I'll stick to the Ol .22 Mossberg.

KySongDog

Another great story!     :congrats:

I am surprised you've nailed so many there.  One would think the hogs would sooner or later figure out that the area was unhealthy.   :laf:

HaMeR

Not if you keep taking out the smart ones Semp!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

It woulda been funny to be standing behind ya when you swatted it from the hole in a cautious manner, and pull a Todd Rahm style, "Oh my gawd look out", yell. :alscalls:

Your stories are always fun to read Dave. Thanks :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

shaddragger

:congrats: Love the HH stories Dave.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Frogman

Great write up!  You certainly have a way with words!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

vvarmitr

Another fine story Dave! Thank you!  :biggrin:

pitw

Quote from: Frogman on September 02, 2010, 11:18:11 AM
Great write up!  You certainly have a way with words!

Jim

He's pretty handy with a CB too :yoyo:.  Not to mention a sharp tool :wink:.

FinsnFur

Just what is a stinkbug anyway :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 03, 2010, 08:20:11 PM
Just what is a stinkbug anyway :confused:

I am going out on a limb with this reply.  But I think it is a bug that when squashed - stinks.  aka: Stinkbug.    :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

O.K. so I just looked it up.

Pentatomoidea is a superfamily of insects in the Heteroptera suborder of the Hemiptera order and, as such, share a common arrangement of sucking mouthparts.[1] They are commonly referred to as shield bugs or stink bugs. Shield bugs have glands in their thorax between the first and second pair of legs which produce a foul smelling liquid. This liquid is used defensively to deter potential predators and is sometimes released when the bugs are handled carelessly. The distinctive smell comes from aldehydes such as CH3â€"(CH2)2â€"CH=CHâ€"CHO.

The nymphs, similar to adults except smaller and without wings, also have stink glands.

The nymphs and adults have piercing mouthparts which most use to suck sap from plants, although some eat other insects. When they group in large numbers they can become significant pests.

Other species that resemble Pentatomoidea insects are found in the Coreoidea superfamily.

Stinkbugs normally appear during the spring and summer months.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=stinkbug&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#num=100&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=stink+bug+picture&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=5673716d440c1f33

We have the green and brown ones around here.

HuntnCarve

Thanks Jerry for the explanation link for Jim.  They are nasty, foul smelling little vermin!  They are harmless to handle.  But after scooping one up to release outside (they alway manage to sneak into the house), your hand reaks like old sweat socks for lack of a better explanation. Takes a couple of hand washings to remove the odor.  In the meantime, another SB sneaks in, and the process starts all over! :madd:  If you would like Jim, I'll send you a couple? :wink:  I'm sure the state of Wisconsin would thank you for introducing them! LOL!  They like to congregate on the side of the house where the sun hits.  They then crawl into any cracks or crevises they can find to hang out.  I'll go on a rampage and stomp, swat, and whack them when the numbers get too high.  -They seem impervious to bug sprays?  Best thing to do is keep the doors and windows shut.  Did I mention I hate Stink bugs?

pitw

Ever try Decis?   Kills a lot of bugs.  Only $300 for 2 litres.
Will do a hundred acres though.
Could you send me a couple to my alternate address :eyebrow: