• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Goose killers

Started by coyote101, March 10, 2019, 09:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

A friend sent me a text saying a coyote had killed one of his geese. The next morning, Kenny and I went to the farm to see if we could help with the coyote problem. We set up in the woods at the bottom of a draw a few hundred yards from where the goose was taken. Kenny was at the bottom of the draw with an AR, and I was partially up the hillside, about forty yards away with a shotgun. As soon as I started calling, Kenny saw a coyote start to come down the opposite hillside. The coyote paused when I stopped calling, but started again when the calling resumed. I saw him as he passed about thirty yards in front of Kenny headed generally in my direction. When Kenny moved his rifle to get on the coyote he bolted, but stopped after only a few yards and Kenny shot him at thirty-five yards. One goose killer down.

Kenny to the left and dead coyote to the right:

Kenny and his really pretty reddish coyote:

We moved further down the draw and did a couple more sets. I called another coyote on the last one, but got impatient and shot at him while he was about sixty-five yards out.  I'm sure I put a few pellets in him, but it wasn't enough to drop him. We searched for a while, but didn't find any signs of blood or a dead coyote.

We climbed out of the draw and headed through a pasture for the long walk back to the truck. As we were walking, Kenny said he heard a coyote howl from another draw to our right. I had a diaphragm howler in my pocket I have been using lately, so I let out a long howl. A few seconds later a pack of coyotes lit up in that draw. I don't know how many there were, but it sounded like a dozen, and they were mad.

We moved to the edge of the field hoping to get to the top of the draw and maybe see them coming, but there is a five strand barbed wire fence around the pasture that we couldn't get past. So we stood at the fence aiming into the woods hoping they would come busting up out of the draw and give us a shot. We could see maybe ten yards through thick brush before the terrain dropped off steeply into the draw. I caught a glimpse of movement to my left and turned to aim down the fence line. A few seconds later, two coyotes busted out of the wood line into the pasture about fifty yards to my left. I shot the first one and he went down as the other one immediately turned and went back into the woods. A second goose killer down.

There is my coyote laying right at fifty yards:

The old Mossberg puts down another one:

Kenny shot his at the red dot. I missed one at the blue dot, and killed mine at the green dot. The terrain in those draws is very rugged.

We finished the long walk back to the truck and called it a day.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Great story and pics Pat.  Good job on getting the coyotes and I hope you actually got the one who likes goose.   :highclap:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

WOW!  You men are relentless.  Good hunting and good shooting.  Very impressive.

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

nastygunz

Im sure your friend is happy👍👍👍👍

riverboss

Sounds like you guys had alot of fun! Congrats to you guys.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

Hawks Feather

Congrats and the best thing is you know there are still some there for another day.

JohnP

GREAT post and great pictures.  Fence line calling has always worked for me.  I find tufts of hair where they are crossing set the caller a few yards away and myself about twenty yards away from the caller.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Carolina Coyote

Good Job Pat Keep up the Good Work!