• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

food plot or mary-jo-wanna ?

Started by Silencer, March 17, 2010, 12:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

I come across all kinds of stuff, either this a a sorry excuse for a food plot or some mary-jo-wanna grower lol...  This was atop a mountain pretty far off the main trail.  They even went as far as hauling gravel to go around it.   Looks like they lined up a half dozen top soil bags and opened them up then lined the gravel and logs around it.

pitw

I sure don't know much about it but up here our food plots are in 160 acre parcels and multiples of those numbers.  The other crop mentioned is usually in a much smaller denomination though :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

If it some home grown, they sure didnt put much effort into keeping it concealed did they? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Unless you can see a tree big enough to hold a tree stand, my guess would NOT be food plot.

Jerry

pitw

How big are the food plots you guys talk of down there :shrug:.  Up here it would be illegal as baiting is illegal.  Anyone on the board make food plots, if so could you describe to me the size and ingredients of one.

KySongDog

LOTS of people put out food plots down here.  I put out about 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre plots.   Imperial Whitetail Clover, Pro Graze, Forage Brassicas, Chicory, Shot Plot, etc.  lots of brands and seed types to choose from.   

I like the Pro Graze and Imperial Whitetail Clover.  Good for deer and turkey.

golfertrout

go back this fall and then you will know

LORDDAL

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 17, 2010, 05:44:59 PM
If it some home grown, they sure didnt put much effort into keeping it concealed did they? :laf:
my guess Jimbo is that they use small sets like this to scatter their crop out over a larger area and make it harder to find by planing only a few plants in each area I would be very careful around a site like that as these guys tend to like to put out nice little surprises like rat traps set with a trip wire and rigged to a shotgun round we have seen several of these around here growing up and always told State police and even guided theem into them from time to time. the funniest one I ever located was in down town Lewisburg in a corner between 2 buildings at the end of a small parking lot my dad and mom and I had parked to go shopping he saw these tall funny looking plants and asked whats that I took one look laughed and said thats weed dad called State and the found 25 plants in between the buildings
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

vvarmitr

You guys wouldn't tell if you found a still, would ya?  :sad:

pitw

Quote from: vvarmitr on March 19, 2010, 09:48:18 AM
You guys wouldn't tell if you found a still, would ya?  :sad:

:laf: :laf:  FnCountry. :innocentwhistle:

Bopeye

Now I'm no expert or anything, but I don't think I would be snooping around there too much. As said before, it won't belong and there will be all kinds of little nasty things around that thing to deter you from snooping.

Just from what I can see from this picture, it doesn't look like a terrible spot. Could've been better, but you do with what you have. Won't be long and maybe some five gallon buckets might start appearing too. Not sure what they use those things for.  :innocentwhistle:

And as stated earlier, you will probably find more than just a few in that general area.

If you do decide to do some snooping on there, stay off the beaten path. Usually they will do a little winding around so as not to provide a direct route to them. If you do walk a well traveled trail, be especially careful of any areas that form a natural funnel and confines where you can walk. All kinds of things can be in that area.

I read all of that from a book and don't have any first hand knowledge of the subject though, this is all purely academic in nature.  :biggrin:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

cathryn

KySongDog

Quote from: Bopeye on March 19, 2010, 05:41:26 PM
If you do walk a well traveled trail, be especially careful of any areas that form a natural funnel and confines where you can walk. All kinds of things can be in that area.

Natural funnel???   SNARES!    What ever you do don't crawl on your hands and knees with your neck stuck out!!    :laf:

FinsnFur

Quote from: Semp on March 20, 2010, 06:02:56 AM
Natural funnel???   SNARES!    What ever you do don't crawl on your hands and knees with your neck stuck out!! 

:alscalls: ROFLMO
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 20, 2010, 06:28:56 AM
Quote from: Semp on March 20, 2010, 06:02:56 AM
Natural funnel???   SNARES!    What ever you do don't crawl on your hands and knees with your neck stuck out!! 

:alscalls: ROFLMO

:alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11