• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

A little unnoticed scenery

Started by FinsnFur, June 19, 2011, 08:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

My brother and I, along with his wife, took the boat across the river this evening for supper. There's a couple little, river side, greasey spoons along the shores that offer some good down home eating and a place to tie up your horse boat.

Afterwords we decide to walk up the bank and stroll down mainstreet to look at some of the old buildings that have been there our whole lives, but we just never cared.

The whole town is on a side of a bluff, sorta speak. So they have a drain channel, or a whatever you call it, to carry water through down and into the river. It's crazy actually.

We were trying to figure out how they got the homes and building on the other side of this drain channel, cause the back side of them is straight up bluff side.

Then I stumbled upon this. Am I the only one seeing something wrong here  :laf: :doh2:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

shaddragger

:doh2: They were too close to see the sign!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 19, 2011, 08:37:10 PM
We were trying to figure out how they got the homes and building on the other side of this drain channel, cause the back side of them is straight up bluff side.

Then I stumbled upon this. Am I the only one seeing something wrong here  :laf: :doh2:

My guess is that they were able to do it because they can't read.

Jerry

linemansteve

Jim-=- did you go south of town to the silicon sand mine ?  also when they loaded corn on the barges at clayton a semi would loose his brakes coming down the hill and end up in the river--when this would happen we would head up there to catch carp.
Also was wondering in the town of Glen Haven we use to go to bar called Wackey's often wondered if it was still there. Spent most of my summers between Clayton and a little place called Frenchtown Lake. {on the good side of the river} :laf:. Thanks for the pics I haven't been there in --a long time.  Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

FinsnFur

Wow Steve,  :yoyo:

Yeah I posted pics of the sand mine once. It's kinda cool.
And yeah Wack's is still running down there, they still have their fish fry street dance every Memorial Day, and they are still the home of the famous "Hairy Buffalo" drink.

Frenchtown is still a good fishing hole!...summer and winter.
Where the heck are you at that your so up on all this stuff? LOL

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Dave

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 19, 2011, 08:37:10 PM

That's easy.  Don't you see all those concrete bridges.  :doh2:
Cool pics

Todd Rahm

My guess is the parked it there then camo'ed it so no one would notice?  :wo: :biggrin:

linemansteve

Jim--my folks owned a cabin on the river north of frenchtown. I think the land was owned by a guy named Wiley ???? but their where 10 to 15 cabins at that time there. Ours looked over the river --behind the train tracks.  We would sit on the big screened in porch and watch for barges then run to the dock to get the hydroplane and chase the barge to jump the roller waves out the back--use to make them mad. Back  in those days my brother and myself had a old claming boat--20ft long 6.5 wide all wood, we had a 25 hp outboard on it and ran hoops , box traps and trot lines. Then we would motor down to Gutenberg and sell  or trade our rough fish. My brother and my self would stay during the week and  mom, dad, sis, and little brother would come up on the weekend. We knew that stretch of river from Gutenberg to north of clayton like the backs of our hands, where to fish, gig or walk for leatherbacks.  Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

FinsnFur

Thats incredible Steve :congrats:
And I'm here to tell you not a whole lot has changed about either of those towns. They are still as about one horse of a town as you'll find. Just simple life laid back river towns, and I mean laid back.

McGregor and Marquette have sprouted a bit though. :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers