• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Record Bull Moose

Started by Tikaani, December 15, 2015, 10:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

A very close friend who is also a taxidermist was given this set of antlers to mount a couple of years ago. It took him sometime to find a cape that was large enough. It measures 73" across but what makes this animal truly amazing is the size of the paddles, the left as you are looking at it is 24" across with 5 brow tines, the right 23 7/8" with 4 brow tines. I am six foot tall and weigh about 220lbs in the photo and am crouched right up against to avoid any illusion of their size. It was taken from my understanding in the 80s on a river I won't name and sat in a garage all these years gathering dust as is quite common up here. It now hangs in a local sporting goods store.

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

KySongDog

Aren't those the ones I saw when we visited your friend during my trip to Alaska, John?   If I remember correctly they weigh about 120 lbs.  A truly massive set of antlers. 

Tikaani

Same ones Johnny, and yes 120lbs dry. It is so good to hear from you. Will call sometime this week, life never seems to slow down up here, but I will call. Also, got your Christmas card. Thank you from both Dian and I. Also owe Dave and Scott a call.
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

pitw

How old do ya figure?  Bet when he shredded trees it got noisy.  :shrug:  Your looking great. :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

HuntnCarve

My Gosh, that's a set of antlers!!!  Bet I could get a few calls and key chains out of that set. :laf:

Dave

Okanagan

Incredible!  Hard to imagine an animal growing that much bone in a few months.

A cousin who killed a 65 inch book moose (which looks small compared to the one in your pic)  told me that when he sneaked up on the bull which he had seen from a distance, it was asleep with its head laid over so the weight of the antlers was on the ground. 

nastygunz

Seeing that big old boss roaming around the woods  must have been something!

Hawks Feather

I am glad that you are in the picture so that I can actually get an idea of the real size.  Thanks for sharing the images.

Jerry

coyote101

Wow! What an incredible animal.  :highclap:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

I didnt catch the name of that river.  :confused:  LOL :laf:
Those things are so big you'd think they would make taking on a strong head wind, quite the chore. Thanks for showin em.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com