• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

You guys are a bad influence

Started by Coulter, December 18, 2015, 07:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I never really paid much attention to AR’s since we can’t hunt with them here in PA. I’ve always wanted one just to have one though. I was sold on picking up a Kimber Longmaster Classic until I found some inconsistent reviews on them. It seems they’re hit or miss and a crap shoot as far as accuracy. I have no intention of dropping that kind of coin on something that may or may not be a good gun. Then I thought, how ‘bout a new duck gun instead? Nah…there have been zero ducks up here this year and the season is almost over anyway. So back to the .223 caliber.

Heck, we can hunt with AR’s LBL…Lets look at those. Nothing fancy just something to play with and maybe hunt with. The S&W M&P 15 Sports are reasonably priced and I couldn’t find any bad info on them other than the lack of forward assist and a dust cover. Not really deal breakers to me. Chrome lined barrels? Not really needed for my intended purpose. Then I found the comparable Ruger AR556 with dust cover and forward assist…hmmmmm, let’s check reviews on those.

Both the Ruger and Smith have been getting good reviews and I Was hard pressed to find anything significant on either of them. The Ruger did seem to take a slight edge in favorites though. Oh look! The Smith is on sale at Gander. I work part time there as well so I went up to have a look see. Dang it the sale didn’t actually start until today. No Rugers in stock when I went there on Wednesday either.
I’m leaving today to go make an attempt at finishing our climbing of the Adirondack 46. And the sale will be over by the time I get back. So I went back up last night to try and talk the manager into starting the sale early for me. Coincidentally, trucks come into our Gander on Thursdays and this one just happened to have a shipment of the Rugers on board.

Well that wasn’t there last night! I had to check out the Ruger since that was the one I was leaning towards anyway. Write it up man! Half an hour later I was the proud new owner of this…

Now I can’t shoot it until after Christmas. And I realize it’s not top of the line, but I wasn’t in the market for a top of the line AR. I was simply looking for something to beat on that can take it. This fits the bill. If I like it maybe down the road I’ll look at an upgrade of this one or another one altogether.
She will be tagging along on the LBL trip this year. It will be hard to leave the other Ruger No 1 in the truck though after the shot we took (and made) last time at LBL.

KySongDog

If you hunt at LBL the shots are likely to be way less than 100 yards and probably less than 50 yards.  So I think your new AR's accuracy should not be an issue.  Your new rifle will do everything you need and then some. 

HuntnCarve

A fellow at our camp had the exact rifle.  He picked it up for plinking.  I had the opportunity to fire it, and was impressed.  He had a red dot sight on it, and it was no problems hitting small metal plates 4"x 6" at 100 yards. -And this is with a simple red dot sight.  He said he's gotten MOA groups at 100 off a bench. 
It really got me thinking about purchasing one?  Like you said, it's not huntable in PA.  But it sure was a lot of fun!  I shot a M&P 15 last September at a range.  I found the trigger pretty stout. But it was pretty accurate.  I'm guessing it was around a 10 Lb pull.  The Ruger had a much better factory trigger in my estimation.  Regardless, they both will handle any LBL coyotes without a hitch.

Dave

riverboss

Steve all ar triggers pretty much stink but with a little work they can be fixed for cheap. 
Congrats on joining the dark side it can be addictive.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

KySongDog

If the trigger is a little too stiff for you, try a JP Enterprise low power trigger kit.  It will significantly reduce the trigger pull weight.  It costs less than $11 and works as advertised.  Hard primer military ammo could have ignition issues but I've never had a problem.

See here:  JP Trigger Kit

Dale

good entry level rifle...

I've tried all kinds of things with the factory triggers, had USMC armorers try to trick them up, they got better, but... I wound up changing all them  out for Timney's, a little expensive, but they all improved considerably... was money well spent...

enjoy the new toy...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

riverboss

The set screw for travel and JP springs plus a little grinding in a certain area will. Make them just as good as the high dollar triggers. I have two that are out of this world light and smooth.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Coulter

KySongDog...I'm hoping for a shot that close. The last time I was at LBL I took a shot (and made it) at somewhere in the neighborhood of 175-200 yards through the woods. HaMeR will back me up on this too, I stayed put after the shot and guided him where too look for the coyote. That was with a Ruger No.1 in .22-250 and a scope though. That gun will be coming along too.

Thanks for all the input on the trigger and mods for the new AR. That's one reason I wanted one...just to tinker with. I won't likely get out to shoot it until after Christmas.

Steve

KySongDog

Quote from: Coulter on December 24, 2015, 07:01:57 AM
KySongDog...I'm hoping for a shot that close. The last time I was at LBL I took a shot (and made it) at somewhere in the neighborhood of 175-200 yards through the woods. HaMeR will back me up on this too, I stayed put after the shot and guided him where too look for the coyote. That was with a Ruger No.1 in .22-250 and a scope though. That gun will be coming along too.

Thanks for all the input on the trigger and mods for the new AR. That's one reason I wanted one...just to tinker with. I won't likely get out to shoot it until after Christmas.

Steve

That long of a shot at LBL would be the exception rather than the rule for me.  If I can see that far I look for a thicker spot.  (Maybe that's why I never get a long shot??)  But that is just me and I am a long ways from being an expert.  What ever works best for you is the way to go.

JohnP

Got my grandson a ArmAlite AR 15 for Christmas. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Dale

Quote from: JohnP on January 01, 2016, 01:43:56 PM
Got my grandson a ArmAlite AR 15 for Christmas.
you're a good grandpa, now next year you can get him an AR10 for big game, Elk etc...   :wink:
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

JohnP

We have already discussed that.  I have a DPMS LR-308 in the safe that has never had a round chambered.  Depending on how his school year goes it will probably be his.   
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FOsteology

I jumped on the AR-15 acquisitions in the past couple months too! Figured with the current political climate and Obama wanting to shove Executive Actions down our throat, now would be a good time to get a couple before supply dries up.

I got a couple Colt LE6920's and also picked up a DPMS Panther RFA3-OC Oracle.

Geissele triggers dropped in all as well as an upgrade in furniture, and Sprinco buffer and extractor springs.

Going to use the DPMS as our dedicated night time hog and predator slayer.

The Colts I'm still debating how to setup. One has a SWFA SS 1-6x24. Not sure if I want to scope the other, or possibly just do iron sites and a red dot.  :confused:

Damn things are SO customizable and one can easy shell out some serious coin configuring them.

KySongDog

That Colt LE6920 was a good choice.  Many consider it to be the gold standard for ARs. 

FOsteology

Quote from: KySongDog on January 10, 2016, 09:11:04 PM
That Colt LE6920 was a good choice.  Many consider it to be the gold standard for ARs.

In regards to AR-15's I'm a novice. Took the advice of those that have BTDT.  :wink:

I got them for 760 (with furniture) and see that they're now going for over 1k IF you can find one.

Jeb

I picked up a AR556 a few months back Topped it with a Burris AR336 3X optic. Shoots great and will be my calling rifle when not using the shotgun. Ruger made a good rifle with this one.
          Jeb