• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Fletching: Stright vs. Helical

Started by matt75bronco, July 22, 2008, 12:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt75bronco

I have been shooting straight vanes for years, and ordered some wrong arrows. They are right helical fletched, and am having all kinds of problems with my groups. I believe that the vanes are hitting my bodoodle rest.

Anybody else have a problem with this? If I switch to a drop away rest would it fix it? I have heard that the helical fletch shoots better at longer distances, but having no experience with it I am unsure. :confused:

alscalls

A simple soulution would be to re-fletch the arrows the way you want them. You could even have the colors you want such as white to show blood or the lack of. Seems to me this would not take long and would certanly be cheaper than buying a new rest and a major change this close to season could work, or cause problems you do not want. When you could be practicing. Just my two cents but stick to what works for you. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

iahntr

Just curious, give us a little more info.
What arrows are they? Vanes or Feathers? What inch fletch?
Years ago I shot a bodoodle with 4" helical and didn't have a problem,
I would think you could get them to go through the rest without any contact
unless maybe they're 5" and have some pretty extreme helical to them.  :shrug:
What are your arrows doing?
Another thing, you said wrong arrows, are they the same arrows (shafts) you were using
only different fletch? Did you change anything else at all? ex.- pounds you're pulling, length of arrow,
weight of field tip or broadhead, etc.
   Scott
Scott

alscalls

Very good points....could be the wrong knock angle too.
AL

matt75bronco

Quote from: iahntr on July 22, 2008, 02:18:17 PM
Just curious, give us a little more info.
What arrows are they? Vanes or Feathers? What inch fletch?
Years ago I shot a bodoodle with 4" helical and didn't have a problem,
I would think you could get them to go through the rest without any contact
unless maybe they're 5" and have some pretty extreme helical to them.  :shrug:
What are your arrows doing?
Another thing, you said wrong arrows, are they the same arrows (shafts) you were using
only different fletch? Did you change anything else at all? ex.- pounds you're pulling, length of arrow,
weight of field tip or broadhead, etc.
   Scott

I'm shooting 3" blazer vanes on Gold Tip Expedition Hunters. I have no problem with my straight fletch, and as soon as I nock one of the helical arrows it is terrible.

The arrows seem to be making circles in the air. I can see it sometiimes. I didn't change anything. I can shoot a straight fletch fine, then put a helical arrow in and be all over the place.

I think I am going to buy a vapor trail limb driver rest. They are supposed to work good for the 2 cam bows.

I need to get this resolved b/c I am going in Letterkenny Zone 1 this year and have a chance at some big boys!!!! :yoyo:

iahntr

So the arrows you had before are Gold Tips, lets say 55/75 's (guessing), cut at 28" length (guessing)
with 2" Blazer vanes, straight fletch, and 100grain (again guessing  :biggrin:) field tips/broad heads,
and your new ones are exactly the same in every other way, except that they are helical fletched ?
That seems weird, especially with Blazer vanes, that it would cause that much difference.  :confused:
Don't take this the wrong way, as I have no way of knowing how much experience you have, but did you
"tune"/ turn your nock so the "cock feather" is in the correct position? Meaning they could have fletched it
with cock feather out, and you need it down.
Scott
Scott

alscalls

Quote from: alscalls on July 22, 2008, 02:22:35 PM
Very good points....could be the wrong knock angle too.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AL

matt75bronco

Quote from: iahntr on July 22, 2008, 06:55:46 PM
So the arrows you had before are Gold Tips, lets say 55/75 's (guessing), cut at 28" length (guessing)
with 2" Blazer vanes, straight fletch, and 100grain (again guessing  :biggrin:) field tips/broad heads,
and your new ones are exactly the same in every other way, except that they are helical fletched ?
That seems weird, especially with Blazer vanes, that it would cause that much difference.  :confused:
Don't take this the wrong way, as I have no way of knowing how much experience you have, but did you
"tune"/ turn your nock so the "cock feather" is in the correct position? Meaning they could have fletched it
with cock feather out, and you need it down.
Scott

I was shooting 4" straight vanes before, 5575, 29" length, 100 grain, field tips,,,,exactly the same in every way.

They have the gold tip nock, so I can turn it which ever way, but had the odd vane down as before. I've been archery hunting for 10 years, snd this has me stumped. :shrug: :confused:

alscalls

You may still need to tune the knock to allow for the twist.
AL

matt75bronco

Already tried that with no success. Same thing is happening. :shrug:

iahntr

Not real sure what to tell ya next    :confused: If absolutely everything else is the same but Blazers vs. 4" vanes,
and you can shoot a group of the new ones and they're all over the place, then you can pick up your old ones and
they group fine, that's the only thing that I'd still guess is the Blazers are contacting your rest.  :shrug: They do have
a little taller profile then a lot of the 4" vanes. Unless you can show us some detailed pics or video or somethin,
without being there or being able to see it, not real sure what's goin on. You may have to bring er in to a pro shop
to figure out whats goin on. Or like Al said before, re fletch em.  :shrug:
Scott
Scott

cb223

Coat your rest with some foot powder spray, let dry then shoot. You should be able see to if the fletching is hitting, the powder will be gone in that spot.
CHAD

alscalls

This close to crunch time, I would run to the pro shop, mill it over with them, and if no succsess....Re-fletch them and see if that cures it. If the different fletching is the only change between the two........Go back to what works and see.
One question.......Have you paper tuned both fletchings to see if there is a problem with both and it is just magnified by the change in fletching?
AL

matt75bronco

I never paper tuned this bow, but I need to. I think I am going to put a new string on anyway, and I will have the guy look at it. I think I am going to go to the drop away just to rule that out. I really wasn't in love with that bodoodle anyway, and it was the cheapest one they make.

I'm not worried about it being this close to season. I have until October 4th to get it dialed in the way I want it.

Thanks for everyones help. I'm sure I will figure it out, and will shoot better then before!!! :yoyo: