• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Cold weather and big diesels ,

Started by George Ackley, January 10, 2009, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Ackley

Any of you guys putting anything in your fuel ? if so, what. my old 7.3 is needing to be plugged in every night now and it only in the teens... if your using additives and they are working can you let me in on it,

thanks
George
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

pitw

Our fuel is rated for -45F and I don't add anything to it.  We do have to plug 'em in though as they have a tough time turning over if we don't.
I say what I think not think what I say.

msmith

George,

We are having similar problems with our 7.3s at work. The hydraulic injectors, after a few years, will start to sludge up and make starting in cold weather difficult. I don't know, but I would figure that a thinner winter grade oil would help. Otherwise, ours are getting injector jobs. In the two 7.3s that I had, I ran either stanadyne or the Power Service white bottle in the winter. Glowplugs are another issue. When a few of them go bad, our trucks get to where they start hard.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

George Ackley

Power Service i tryed and it didnt help i am think glow plugs also..

will the truck run good other then starting with a bad glow plug ???she runs fine once she is up and going

weedwalker

Use FPPF anti-gel fuel treatment. It's worked in my semi-tractors the last 30 years. It should work in a P/U truck too. :shrug:

pitw

Yes it will run well when running George.  Diesel ignites just from the pressure it is under and in a running engine the only way to kill it is to either shut off the fuel or oxygen supply.  The glow plug is just a preheater to aid the fuel in the ignition process.
I say what I think not think what I say.

msmith

George,

Could be glow plug relay too. I had that issue with my '97 and my '02  PowerStrokes.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

weedwalker

George,
Do you have a block heater on it to plug in?

George Ackley

thanks guys i am getting new ball joints and wheel barring on both sides and shocks all around i will look into the relay and i think i will replace the glow plug..
thanks again

HaMeR

I think each cylinder has it's own glow plug.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11