• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

"Out of Africa...And back again"...

Started by HuntnCarve, September 08, 2009, 07:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

A friend of ours sent me a couple pieces of wood that he brought back with him from Africa.  They were given to him by the Professional Hunter who used to operate a cabinet shop.  I was asked if I could make a couple of calls for the PH, that will be given to him as gifts when he comes State side this year for a show.
I don't know what species the wood is, but both pieces were different.  So here's what I came up with.

A "Black backed jackal"

"A howling Jackal"

"A turned Gemsbok coaxer"

And here's gift I made up for our friend out of some of the Gemsbok horn he sent me.  It has a Gemsbok barrel, a Bloodwood accent band, a Curly Maple mouth, and a Gemsbok toneboard.

When it's all said and done, these calls will have alot of miles under their belts!  From continent to continent, and back again!  I think that's pretty neat!  Thanks for looking!

HuntnCarve
Dave

Hawks Feather

WOW!

He is going to be one happy hunter.

Jerry

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Yotehntr

Wow Dave! that 1st one looks like it could walk off the call.  Great work I know he'll like it.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

pitw

They are all looking real good :yoyo:.  I'm in love with the second one but the last one kinda/sorta reminds me of a pigs unit so I might have a tough time blowing it :innocentwhistle:.  He should be one happy man when he receives them.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FOsteology

Those turned out exceptional. As good as they look on the computer screen, I know the pictures honestly don't do the calls justice as the amount of detail is staggering. I have no doubt Bollie is going t be ecstatic! Can't wait to see the expression on his face when he has them in hand.

Here's the Gemsbok that graciously donated his horns:

He was a "cull" as he had been injured in a fight with a rival Gemsbok.
A certain part of his anatomy was utilized to create "The Face of Namibia".  :laf:

And here is the recipient of the fantastic calls:

vvarmitr

THE FACE OF NAMIBIA!!!!
OMG!
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :loco:

Did Dave post some calls on here some place? :confused:

coyote101

Very nice work as usual Dave.  :congrats:  FOsteology, those are going to make wonderful gifts; great idea.  :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HuntnCarve

Dang FOs!  I'm glad "the face Namibia" wasn't in that package!!!   :roflmao:

Dave

FOsteology

I was going to save it and bring it back for you Dave, but my trackers built a small fire, roasted it.... and ate it.  :puke:

They would also core-out the butthole, pull maybe 18" or so of the rectum/large intestine, squeeze out the poop, stuff with some sort of smashed up starchy root veggie and toss it on the fire. The fat would sizzle and pop, and the entire concoction would swell up.... they called it "puff ader" (like the snake as that's what it looked like). Then they would choke it down. Nasty.  :puke:

Hawks Feather

Fos,

I can't believe that you didn't participate in the feast.  Did they stick you with just eating a steak?

Jerry

FOsteology

It was tough, however my son and I managed to subsist on tenders and back straps.  :wink:

JohnP

Nice calls Dave, but all your calls are.   I also like the jackal.

We lived in Africa (Congo) for a few years and the stuff they eat is unbelievable.  We have a bunch of African wood carving, along with some ivory carvings and a few set of horns  just collecting dust.  If I could ever convince the wife I would send them off to some of you call makers and have some calls made.  However, I doubt that will ever happen.  Some of her fondest memories (beside me of course) are of Africa.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HuntnCarve

I'm afraid for me the closest I'll ever come to Africa is carving on these pieces of wood and horn.  I'll rest easy in the thought that a few of my calls will be living there.  Thanks for the kind words (and culinary insight, FOs) LOL!

Dave