• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Thick fat on buck

Started by Okanagan, November 01, 2011, 07:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

The 3x4 mule deer I got the other day is about the fattest buck I've seen this late in the year, killed Oct. 30.  How does his fat compare with bucks from other parts of the country this time or year or earlier?  I'm curious whether it be whitetails, mule deer or blacktails. 

This one has a layer of fat like an old timberline buck at the end of August.  We ate some tonight and he is astoundingly tender and flavorful.  We'd planned to hamburger nearly all of him due to the rut being on and his big neck, but my wife decreed to make as much steak as we can out of this one.   Pics below are boned out chops from what would be T-bone on a beef, or chops on pork.

iahntr

Dang !
We get some fat ones here,
but not typically like that.
Scott

FinsnFur

I'm with Scott, but day um it looks good. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

Never seen that much fat on a Whitetail. A big whitetail buck in rut is not in my opinion good to eat like that, we have them ground or put into summer sausage or jerky, nothing like a tender young Doe for the table fare. Could have something to do with the climate, the Buck meat here is tough so its good to hear that the Mulie is tender. cc