• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Protecting a meat cache from bears, coyotes etc.

Started by Okanagan, November 13, 2021, 11:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

I think I’ve mentioned this before but I recently had a striking example of how well man scent works to keep meat eaters away from a deer left overnight in the woods.

The technique:  Gather branches from trees or brush and lay them side by side and on top of each other with butts together, branched tops together.  Pee on the tops, then pick them up by the dry butt ends and place them around the deer or meat sacks.  I’m not sure but think that in animal language the scent ring says, “Bad man warning: Keep away from my meat cache or I will kill you.”

This will keep most four legged meat scavengers away for 24-48 hours and often longer.  Not a sure thing with bears nor wolverines, but generally very effective.

I did that with a little buck I left in the woods overnight recently and was surprised at how effective it was, even though I’ve done it many times.  During the night something ate every trace of entrails and yet did not touch the deer which was low hanging only 15 feet from the gut pile.  That was probably a black bear.

I shot the little deer at 5:00 pm in heavy rain that washed out blood trail within 15 minutes and in the gloom under forest canopy he was hard to find.  It was getting dark by the time I had found and gutted him 60 yards below an old road.  I don’t have much strength for lifting or dragging.  Cell phones worked there and grandson Code offered to come out, but both of us preferred to leave him till morning, hence the scent ring around him. 

Grandson Code with the tasty spike morsel, road up to his right.