• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Scent Lok

Started by CCP, May 30, 2010, 09:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

Seen Lighterknot post this on another forum and found it very interesting. Of course coyote hunters already new this!!!  :huh:

The long-awaited ruling regarding allegations of false advertising by ALS, the manufacturer of Scent Lok clothing, has been issued in U.S. Federal Court. The law firm of Heins, Mills & Olson issued this release on their website:

On May 13, 2010, United States Federal District Judge Kyle found that ALS, the manufacturer and seller of Scent Lok clothing, and Cabela's and Gander Mountain, both of which sell Scent Lok and their own private-label clothing using Scent Lok technology, falsely advertised the ability of their Scent Lok clothing to eliminate odor. The Court found that “Defendants have published countless advertisements” almost all of which “utilize the slogans ‘odor-eliminating technology’ or ‘odor-eliminating clothing.’” The Court further found that the experts agreed that the Scent Lok clothing “cannot eliminate odor, even when new.” The Court held that all advertisements that used the words “odor-eliminating technology,” “odor-eliminating clothing,” “eliminates all types of odor,” “odor elimination,” “remove all odor,” “complete scent elimination,” “scent-free,” “works on 100% of your scent 100% of the time,” “all human scent,” “odor is eradicated,” and graphics demonstrating that human odor cannot escape the carbon-embedded fabric are all false statements as a matter of law. In addition, the Court found claims that the Scent Lok clothing could be “reactivated” to “like new” or “pristine” condition to be false as a matter of law.

The Court will issue an injunction to prevent Defendants from further false advertising.

The Minnesota case is now ready for trial. The remaining issues in the Minnesota case are the amount of damages to be paid to each plaintiff and the award of attorneys' fees and costs to plaintiffs' attorneys.

Because the Court earlier denied Plaintiffs' motion for class certification, Plaintiffs in the Minnesota case are only able to recover damages for their own purchases. However, the injunction against false advertising will benefit all future consumers of Scent Lok products in Minnesota.

Source Scent Lok
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

It probably really does eliminate all human odor, and they are publicizing the alleged false advertising scheme to eliminate this stuff from being used in large prison breaks, or by convicts in man hunts.  :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

It's about time this started happening. A little truth in advertising would ruin some of these hunting product companies. It might even make some of the e-caller folks quit exaggerating their calls abililties. Wonder what Faux pravada would do?  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Carolina Coyote

I never did really believe some of those claims but have met some people who swear by them, maybe now some of these Pro- Staffers can fess up?  :readthis: cc

Jimmie in Ky

Who was it that said there is a sucker born every minute?

You can sell anything if you can convince a body it works. And what more gullable class of folks than hunters who are always looking for the magic bullet. All we have to do is look in the mirror to find such folks. We are always looking for the better call or easier method ourselves. Jimmie

markTNhunter

:highclap: its about d_ _ N time i knew that stuff was a bunch of B S i know a bunch of deer hunters around here that are gona be heart broken  :hahaha: i told them so they thoght i was to tight to buy any  :biggrin: makes you wonder how much of that other crap is B S like deer lures and other highly advertised stuff  :confused:

vvarmitr

So you're telling me that's a bunch of Scent Crock!  :shock2:

THO Game Calls

Anybody who's ever been to deer camp and hunted next to a guy wearing a scent loc suit who ate franks and beans the night before could of told you they dont work.

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

markTNhunter

:alscalls: :alscalls: good one THO i havent thought of that  :laf:  :alscalls:

Rich Higgins

CCP sent this post to me and I appreciate it.
They should exact stiff penalties for false advertising....  the claim that the clothing eliminates human scent.
However the companies should continue to advertise the products as scent suppression clothing and educate their customers how to suppress their odors with combination products.
If I could afford it all of my hunting clothes would be Scent Loc.

Frogman

I always said that,  "fishing lures aren't designed to catch fish, they are designed to catch fishermen".

Same thing with a lot of this hunting stuff!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Rich Higgins

Jim, that is an interesting statement.
It seems to imply that you believe that fishing lures don't work... they don't catch fish.
I thought that all successful  tournament fisherman used lures.

Frogman

Rich,

I know lots of lures catch fish.  We used to do very well with Rapalas, and licorice flavored worms.  I have bought lots of others that I never had any success with.  My point is that marketings first objective is to sell product.  Truthfullness is usually a low priority.  My comment was just a way to state that.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

CCP

QuoteDr. Miller said two things in his affidavit that he put in class. He said one. I don’t even think I even have to do testing. I’m an activated carbon expert. I pulled apart their liner. Remember, they use one liner. They put all different camouflage on the outside, but they only use one liner. I pulled it apart. I looked at it. There is spaces between the carbon. Carbon has no magnetic pull. If the odor doesn’t touch the carbon , it can’t stick to the carbon.

He looked at that and he saidâ€"and then he put it under a microscope and he counted the little things and he said 27 percent of the surface area has the little carbon dots , meaning that 73 percent has a place where odor would never come in contact with carbon. He said I can tell you as a Ph.D. who works in activated carbon there is no way this can eliminate odor. This thing can’t reduce odor if it doesn’t touch it.

Scent Loc clothing is very well made that is the only draw I have ever had to the product but not well enough to justify the the prices. The two suits I had were extremely hot and made me into a walking water balloon. I think the extremely tight weave in the fabric/liner creates some scent blocking same as wearing a rubber suit would.

Test have shown over and over carbon and coconut carbon can not be reactivated in the low temps of a dryer. it takes 200 plus degrees to do this. Once the carbon is exposed to the air it starts accumulating scent on the carbon particles and more than likely before we even buy it the carbon is saturated and cant absorb anymore scent. So with no way to reactivate it the carbon is useless to us as hunters and just adds another expense.

The biggest real benefit I think the carbon suits do is make one more aware of there scent and take more preventative measures on scent control before going afield.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

Here is a video of a bloodhound tracking a guy wearing Scent Loc clothes, rubber boots, rubber gloves, and scent spray over a half mile and finds him 15 ft up a tree in about 6 minutes.

Scent Loc might reduce scent some but it sure doesn't eliminate it. 

Rich Higgins

Richard, thank you for the tutorial.
The PHDs testimony was a shocker.
Semp thanks for the link.
I'm absolutely convinced of the effectiveness of scent suppression, as opposed to scent elimination, in a hunting/calling scenario.
In 1987 I began doing field studies, on the effectiveness, or lack of, on combinations of scent control/suppression and cover /ambience
scents and I have drawn specific conclusions based on my experiences over the years with those concepts combined with the misting concept.
In a hunting scenario we do not have to eliminate our scent to avoid detection and alarming animals downwind from us. We simply have to alter their perception of their interpretation process during the analysis portion of the olfactory process.
I know that sounds like mumbo-jumbo but it does have a scientific basis and extensive anecdotal evidence. I have written an article explaining such and I will shop it around sometime in the future.

I have never used ScentLoc but I bought into their advertising claims because the technology was developed by the military which has done considerable research on defeating guard dogs noses.(I was told by a police dog handler that the Israeli military has developed a chemical compound that completely shuts down a dogs ability to smell or process scent molecules. The Gov't will keep that one top secret.)
Does anyone know if the military surplus chem suits such as this  are also ineffective? http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=BrtChmWarStOL&catid=1241&ItemName=British

If this statement is true
"Once the carbon is exposed to the air it starts accumulating scent on the carbon particles and more than likely before we even buy it the carbon is saturated and cant absorb anymore scent."
it seems the carbon in the military clothing would also be saturated before it is even used?
J.D. Priatt is convinced of the effectiveness of the ScentLoc clothing. Has the company changed anything since the lawsuit?
http://forum.finsandfur.net/index.php?topic=13988.0

CCP

QuoteIf this statement is true
"Once the carbon is exposed to the air it starts accumulating scent on the carbon particles and more than likely before we even buy it the carbon is saturated and cant absorb anymore scent."
it seems the carbon in the military clothing would also be saturated before it is even used?

QuoteAt the factory, chemical suits are vacuum-packed and heat-sealed in nylon foil. An outer plastic bag provides additional protection against exposure to harmful substances. A reusable, sealable plastic storage bag is packed with each item. The coat bag is folded in with the coat. The trouser bag is packed in the trouser cargo pocket. The chemical suit has a shelf life of five years if unopened.

The chemical suit can be worn in a contaminated environment for 24 hours. In addition, chemical suit users must keep track of how long the suit has been out of its original packaging bag. The limit for wearing the suit is 45 days total. Once the suit is taken out of its bag, it's good for a maximum of 120 days. After any of these limits have been reached, the chemical suit is good only for training. Such overlimit suits are turned in and FOR TRAINING ONLY is stenciled on the outer surface.

So even the military's state of the art suits can only last a maximum of 120 days once taken out of the bag then Scent Loc doesn't stand a chance more than one hunting season at best.

I have had and still do from time to time have a coyote come down wind with no effects but have more times than not have them bolt. The times I have had them not respond negatively from down wind I was not wearing any scent Loc or any other type scent killer or cover scent. Someone in the same stand wearing Scent Loc may claim it was the suit.

QuoteJ.D. Priatt is convinced of the effectiveness of the ScentLoc clothing. Has the company changed anything since the lawsuit?
it maybe that JD may have them as a sponsor or trying to get them as a sponsor? I dont know but it looked like all 3 were wearing a $350.00 Scent Loc suit. So either they truly believe or Scent Loc sent them a suit sponsoring them.

I dont think they have change anything except the last lawsuit in 2010 they settled out of court to 6 plaintiffs. So they have at least learned to keep the court documents out of the public's view.

We all know that a seasoned coyote hunter doesn't get busted by scent on 90 + % of his sets simply because they setup correctly. So my question would be,Is it really worth the Initial price? excess heat sweat? extra sprays? special showers? to kill those few coyotes that come from the wrong location and bust us each year? 
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FOsteology

You will never ever fool an animals nose with those gimmicks!

Look at drug dogs and how minute drug odors are, yet they smell them every time, even when they are heavily packaged in all sorts of plastic, foil and coffee.

Deer and elk have noses similar to dogs. Does anyone really think they can fool them with some expensive spray on spritzer or by wearing a charcoal suit????? All the scent crap on the market is a huge kick in the ass (not to mention wallet!) from scent manufacturers to ignorant sportsmen.

How do you get the human scent out of your breath, your nose, your butt crack, your boots, your scalp etc. Yeah sure, some of it works and helps us smell better to OUR weak sense of smell, but you CAN'T cover up your scent no matter what you do.

I don't care what you wear or what you spray on your clothes, person, or gear...., if you don't properly hunt the wind, you are going to get busted by game.

I think PT Barnum said it best..., that quote still works today for most hunters with a fresh Cabela's catalog and a credit Card!  :alscalls:

Rich Higgins

Foteology, please do not take offense at this next question. I am sincerely interested in an honest answer.
Specifically what do you base your statement upon?
Are you passing along something that you have read repeatedly or have you ever conducted your own experiments with scent control products and coyotes', deer or hog's reactions to them and you are passing along the results of your personal research?

Rich, I'm not ignoring you I'll respond to your post later today because with my lack of typing skills it will take me awhile. :laf:

FOsteology

Rich,

Based on science (I've been educated beyond my intelligence  :wink: ) and personal observation in the hunting fields.